title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Recommendations for a digital audio player

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Recommendations for a digital audio player

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
    If there is an automated method of transferring all of my artworks from 'folder' to 'embedded' then that would be fantastic.
    Use the ID Tag Update utility codec or MP3Tag, both methods will import artwork, simply and easily.

Whether you need to embed artwork though... is another matter.

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

If you decide you need to embed your artwork in addition to having folder.jpg, do the following to automate it. (test on a folder or two to make sure you understand what's happening before running it on your entire collection).

1. run the dbpa program BATCH CONVERTER
      2. select the top directory of your music (to embed in all) or any subdirectory (to test on a subset of files)
      3. Upper left, click on CONVERT
      4. Under encoding dropdown box, select ID TAG UPDATE
      5. Click on the MANIPULATION tab
      6. under ALBUM ART section, under "import from" select "folder.jpg"
      a. (I personally set size to maximum 500x500 and no limit on size....this is because I'm doing this for my mp3 copies for portables. but in your case I'd still limit size because you still have the full size folder.jpg in the folder to be used by other players that can use it (e.g., foobar). And some players only deal with smaller art size (not the 1000x1000), so the 500x500 usually works on such players that have a problem with large artwork.
      b. I also tick the box for convert all to jpg.
      7. bottom right, click CONVERT
      8. when done (which could take hours depending on number of files), click FINISH.

Now you have both folder.jpg and embedded art in all your files. AGAIN, do your testing to be sure that embedded art is actually the solution to your problem first. otherwise, no need to embed artwork.
      Last edited by garym; 08-12-2018, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy
        Just out of interest, did cover art work on your original Sony DAP using folder.jpg?
        Hello Oggy,

I honestly cannot remember as it was over a year ago now. Also, if 'artwork' was an issue then I do not think I would have addressed this problem because the 'lack of volume' (capping) took absolute precedence throughout any discussions relating to the device.

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
          If you decide you need to embed your artwork in addition to having folder.jpg, do the following to automate it. (test on a folder or two to make sure you understand what's happening before running it on your entire collection).
          Garym,

That's superb. I really do appreciate you taking the time to compile that.

I will have a try out early this evening ...

What a great forum this is!

Paul

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Sony Tech Support have been trying to fathom this out for 3 WEEKS now! And so I really do appreciated everyone's time and help here.
            Paul
            Regarding my constant reminders to avoid company support lines at all cost, here's a partial explanation from a NY Times article:
            Worse, just as you suspected, companies know the torture they are putting you through, with cable and mobile service providers the most egregious offenders.

Comment

• siriussurfer
              • Feb 2009

Hi Dat Ei!

I just bought the FiiO M7 (not to be confused with the X7). It seems to hit all your needs (ReplayGain came with firmware 1.03).
              And the price is even less than a half of your budget. So you can purchase the Q5 with the savings :-)

Cheers
              Derek
              Last edited by siriussurfer; 08-12-2018, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Jul 2017

Regarding my constant reminders to avoid company support lines at all cost, here's a partial explanation from a NY Times article:
                https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/04/t...nbearable.html
                Ha ha Garym,

Nice one! It looks like 'Tech Support Rage' has finally become a recognized mental condition! And I am not bloody surprised either. Your article describes this as being "mental torture", and they are not far wrong.

The survey results in that report were quite staggering.

I forgot all about the "please subscribe to our Premium Rate Service..." malarkey. That's a seriously BAD one to encounter.

I do have to say, because I flipped out on a Sony Manager on Friday and threatened to send everything back to Amazon for a full refund (yes, I really was that angry and serious!), I have been credited with 15 quid towards my phone calls (their call center is in Egypt). This will at least cover the cost of calls from my end.

Paul
                Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-12-2018, 07:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Jul 2017

1. run the dbpa program BATCH CONVERTER
                  2. select the top directory of your music (to embed in all) or any subdirectory (to test on a subset of files)
                  3. Upper left, click on CONVERT
                  4. Under encoding dropdown box, select ID TAG UPDATE
                  Hi garym,

Regarding step no. 4, I am unable to see 'ID Tag Update', I am afraid?

Please see screenshot:

Paul

EDIT: Folder hierarchy: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PZ...Ccqfcw7TR9qlXS
                  Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-12-2018, 08:19 PM. Reason: Link

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Maybe you have not installed it. Look under codec central under utility codecs and download and install.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Jul 2017

Maybe you have not installed it. Look under codec central under utility codecs and download and install.
                      There is a notice for me to UPDATE, but I have ignored it simply because everything is working. I will have a quick look though ...

Comment

• garym
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2007

There is a notice for me to UPDATE, but I have ignored it simply because everything is working. I will have a quick look though ...
                        Nothing to do with update. These extra codecs have to be specifically installed.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Jul 2017

6. under ALBUM ART section, under "import from" select "folder.jpg"
                          a. (I personally set size to maximum 500x500 and no limit on size....this is because I'm doing this for my mp3 copies for portables. but in your case I'd still limit size because you still have the full size folder.jpg in the folder to be used by other players that can use it (e.g., foobar). And some players only deal with smaller art size (not the 1000x1000), so the 500x500 usually works on such players that have a problem with large artwork.
                          Hi garym,

When you specify '500x500' are you referring to 'pixel' size or 'file' size?

Please see screenshot:

Thanks.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Jul 2017

Nothing to do with update. These extra codecs have to be specifically installed.
                            OK, I see now.

Comment

• garym
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Nov 2007

Pixel size

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Jul 2017