title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 134

Thread: Recommendations for a digital audio player

  1. #31
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Re: Recommendations for a digital audio player

    Dat Ei,

    Hidizs AP60-ii:


    Bluetooth 4.0 with APT-X protocol, double-way lossless Bluetooth transmission allows easy enjoyment of music with low coding delay and high sound quality

    Price = 109GBP!

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-12-2018 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Link

  2. #32
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,189

    Re: Recommendations for a digital audio player

    Hey Paul,

    aptX and aptX HD are codecs / protocols for the wireless transmission of audio data over Blutooth. Beside an aptX or aptX HD capable DAP you need Blutooth headphones, which support the corresponding codec. That way you can achive CD Audio sound quality or above.

    It is discussible if you need aptX for a high quality DAP with its high quality DACs, because in that scenario digital data will be transferred, so that the headphone and might be cheaper DACs will convert the digital data to an analog audio signal. If you use your DAP in loud enviroments (like car, train, bus, tram etc.) mostly, it is very likely that you can't tell a cheap Blutooth transfer from a aptX or aptX HD transfer.

    Nevertheless - the wired transfer of analog audio signals from the high quality DAP will give you the best audio quality in most scenarios.


    Dat Ei

  3. #33
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,189

    Re: Recommendations for a digital audio player

    aptX and aptX HD are the cherries on the cake. It is more important that the DAP has a high sound quality. Therefore you need high quality DACs and amplifiers.

    Aside of that: if you like to have a gapless replay and the capability to use streaming services, you have to look very carefully at the specs. Otherwise you might get another Sony dilemma in disguise.


    Dat Ei

  4. #34
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Question Re: Recommendations for a digital audio player

    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    aptX and aptX HD are the cherries on the cake. It is more important that the DAP has a high sound quality. Therefore you need high quality DACs and amplifiers.

    Aside of that: if you like to have a gapless replay and the capability to use streaming services, you have to look very carefully at the specs. Otherwise you might get another Sony dilemma in disguise.
    Dat Ei,

    Thanks a lot.

    Well, I have been looking at these two DAPs as you know:


    and,



    I don't think either of them have that stupid EU Law volume-capping (Sony palaver!) as they come from the Far East.

    I will need to look at the 'aptX' specs because, as you kindly mention (thanks) one needs a compatible pairs of phones!

    Incidentally, here are the two sets of phones I am considering. It has taken me two weeks to narrow my choices:


    and,


    It may well be the case that neither have 'aptX' as it it not something I have looked for before.

    Cheers.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-12-2018 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Link

  5. #35
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Question Re: Recommendations for a digital audio player

    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Hey Paul,

    aptX and aptX HD are codecs / protocols for the wireless transmission of audio data over Blutooth. Beside an aptX or aptX HD capable DAP you need Blutooth headphones, which support the corresponding codec. That way you can achive CD Audio sound quality or above.

    Nevertheless - the wired transfer of analog audio signals from the high quality DAP will give you the best audio quality in most scenarios.
    Hi Dat Ei,

    I have emailed both of the DAP companies to see if they have a Customer Service phone number. I think, though, that they are based in Hong Kong. This is also where they are being sold from on the likes of eBay.

    Yes, 'wired' connection is always best! I would consider purchasing a better quality cable if the one included in the box appeared to be inferior.

    Paul

  6. #36
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,189

    Re: Recommendations for a digital audio player

    I don't know those two DAPs. Look carefully if they support tags, album art and gapless in the right way, before you'll be disappointed.

    I prefer in ears over conventional headphones cause I use my iPod in public transports on my journey to work or my second seat of residence only. Nevertheless - I'm not a fan of Bose or B&O. That are things for my dentist's waiting room.


    Dat Ei
    Last edited by Dat Ei; 07-12-2018 at 11:19 AM.

  7. #37
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Question Re: Recommendations for a digital audio player

    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    I don't know those two DAPs. Look carefully if they support tags, album art and gapless in the right way, before you'll be disappointed.

    I prefer in ears over conventional headphones cause I use my iPod in public transports on my journey to work or my second seat of residence only. Nevertheless - I'm not a fan of Bose or B&O. That are things for my dentist's waiting room.
    Dat Ei,

    OK, cheers for looking.

    Album art and gapless are essential (to me). I did not see any neg. comments about Artist/Album tags; though I could be wrong (hence I have emailed both companies).

    A discussion on preferences of headphones would probably last until infinity! The permutations of preferences are so vast, and subjective. I must have tested over 30 pairs of phones in shops over the past couple of weeks, possibly more! As I say, I have had to make radical compromises to my options as the Sennheiser design (of the 1980s and 90s) are no longer available ny anyone.

    Paul

  8. #38
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,189

    Re: Recommendations for a digital audio player

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    I did not see any neg. comments about Artist/Album tags; though I could be wrong (hence I have emailed both companies).
    Please don't forget that we users of dBpa care a lot about tags, but that isn't representative for Joe Public. The implementations I've seen so far in DAPs were very rudimental. So I would like to have a DAP with an Android OS, on which I can install the music player app of my choice, just to overcome the shortcomings of the DAP's player software.

    What Sennheiser design of the 80s/90s are you talking about, that is no longer available? What is so special about that design?


    Dat Ei

  9. #39
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Question Re: Recommendations for a digital audio player

    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Please don't forget that we users of dBpa care a lot about tags, but that isn't representative for Joe Public. The implementations I've seen so far in DAPs were very rudimental. So I would like to have a DAP with an Android OS, on which I can install the music player app of my choice, just to overcome the shortcomings of the DAP's player software.

    What Sennheiser design of the 80s/90s are you talking about, that is no longer available? What is so special about that design?

    Dat Ei,

    I owned the Sennheiser 'HD-440 ii' phones. I think I bought them in 1992 for around 60GBP. I remember thinking: "gee, that's a serious amount of money to pay for a set of phones!." These were so light (weight/pressure) on your ears in such a way that words can not describe. I never met one person in 25 years who did not instantly fall in love with them. The headband was ultra comfortable also. You could listen for 4 hours straight without any fatigue. The lead and each ear-piece were detachable so you could easily replace individual parts (I kept mine going for the last 5 years like this). As for their 'sound', well they were simply knockout. I can honestly say that I feel so upset when I think back to them! I would happily pay 200 for a new pair again.

    This may be a stupid question I know!, but: when you say you would prefer your next DAP to be an Android OS, then you must mean that it is going to be a player within a mobile phone? In other words, even though some players must connect to the internet because you are able to update the s/w (firmware?), if the DAP is not a mobile phone (like the 2 I linked earlier), then it will not have any OS on it? So, it will only have OS or iOS if it is a mobile phone (or iPad, or similar) rather than a pure dedicated DAP?

    Hope that makes some sense!

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-12-2018 at 04:22 PM. Reason: spelling

  10. #40
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Question Re: Recommendations for a digital audio player

    Hi,

    Do you think I should start a new thread dedicated to 'headphones', please? I have some product specs (relating to previously mentioned models) which I would like to clarify with members on here. And of course I don't want to take this particular thread on a winding detour.

    Cheers.

  11. #41
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    638

    Re: Recommendations for a digital audio player

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Dat Ei,!

    This may be a stupid question I know!, but: when you say you would prefer your next DAP to be an Android OS, then you must mean that it is going to be a player within a mobile phone? In other words, even though some players must connect to the internet because you are able to update the s/w (firmware?), if the DAP is not a mobile phone (like the 2 I linked earlier), then it will not have any OS on it? So, it will only have OS or iOS if it is a mobile phone (or iPad, or similar) rather than a pure dedicated DAP?

    Paul
    Hi Paul,

    Some dedicated DAPs have their own integrated app and Android, so you have the option of loading player software of your choice.

    Many players do not handle the Album Artist tag for example, so this would limit it's appeal to some. By also having Android, another app, such as foobar can be downloaded, giving the Album Artist support.

  12. #42
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Re: Recommendations for a digital audio player

    Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Some dedicated DAPs have their own integrated app and Android, so you have the option of loading player software of your choice.

    Many players do not handle the Album Artist tag for example, so this would limit it's appeal to some. By also having Android, another app, such as foobar can be downloaded, giving the Album Artist support.
    Thanks very much for explaining that Oggy. I understand you now. Cheers.

  13. #43
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Question Re: Recommendations for a digital audio player

    Hi,

    The old Sony NW-A35, had volume-capping on. I have been looking into the new NW-A45 model. It still has volume-capping here in the UK/EU. However, if you buy it from Japan then it does not. It costs 175 with free shipping:


    I have spoken to eBay and also emailed the seller; now waiting for a reply. If one is not happy with the device, then eBay said I can return it within 30 days for a full refund, and either eBay or the seller will cover shipping.

    I am not sure if one would be liable for any Import Tax Duty though?

    A guy in the US told me that he purchased his from Japan. The volume goes up to '120'. It is loud at '90'. The old EU model I had only went up to '80'!

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-15-2018 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Link

  14. #44
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Re: Recommendations for a digital audio player

    Hi,

    Gave up on eBay stores ever replying!

    Ordered new Sony Walkman yesterday from Amazon US. Got special discounts due to it being 'Amazon Prime Members Day' (thanks for reminding me Gary!). Should be arriving 1st week in August...

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-19-2018 at 05:59 PM. Reason: spelling

  15. #45
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Re: Recommendations for a digital audio player

    Hi,

    To replace my broken Sennheisers, I have ordered these phones:


    albeit from Argos (a store I totally detest, but because Sony has now discontinued this model, they are hard to find elsewhere). I ordered online and received a 10 discount!

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-19-2018 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Link

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •