title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a digital audio player

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Recommendations for a digital audio player

Hey guys,

can anybody share his experiences with iBasso DX150 oder DX200 with me? Unfortunately there is no dealer in my near, even so I have two dwellings in two different, big cities.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Dat Ei,
    I'm not aware of anyone who has either the DX150 or DX200. I know you want experiences from someone who actually owns either dap. I assume you've seen the reviews at Head-Fi or TheHeadphoneList.com. I had to read a review from April 2017 to learn anything about the UI. I didn't read anything about multi-value tags. It mentioned that artists are sorted using the Artist tag and not the Album Artist tag, and there was no search option. Maybe there have been updates to add a search function. I'm very interested in what you decide to purchase.

Gary

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey Gary,

thank you for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG45 View Post
    I assume you've seen the reviews at Head-Fi or TheHeadphoneList.com.
    I've read the review at head-fi, but I didn't even know theheadphonelist. Thanks for the hint! I will have a look.

I had to read a review from April 2017 to learn anything about the UI. I didn't read anything about multi-value tags. It mentioned that artists are sorted using the Artist tag and not the Album Artist tag, and there was no search option. Maybe there have been updates to add a search function.
    My Impression is that iBasso is very keen to develope and enhance the Firmware of their daps. Aside of that there is guy who is refines the original firmware i.e. to add Google Play store support.

I'm very interested in what you decide to purchase.
    I'm in the lucky situation that my iPod is still working and I have no pressure to make a decision shortly. My only enemies at this stage are myself and my impatience.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    I believe that it is only European players that have the volume restriction.
    Hi Oggy,

I was informed, by Sony last year (during my 'A35' palaver!), that if you purchase their DAPs from either the US or Far East locations, then you won't have the dreaded 'volume' issue. I never got that far though as I sent it back 3 times before demanding a full refund.

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-11-2018 at 12:12 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    2.) A&K AK70 MkII

- Sound was superb
    - no multivalue tag support (i.e. only the first artist listed)
    - displays the album artist, but not the artist (track artist)
    Hi Dat Ei,

Theses are quality; but of course you are paying through the roof for them!:

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-11-2018 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Link

dBpoweramp Guru

I haven't bought a Hi-Fi magazine for around 30 years, but a friend bought one last month for the review of the new Chord DAC. He gave me the mag, which had a review of three portable players. Cowon Plenue D and two Astell & Kern units, the AK70 MkII and more upmarket Kann. Unsurprisingly they all get 5 star reviews - they probably advertise!
    Oggy,

Again, the A&K Kann is strictly priced for the elite!:

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-11-2018 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Link

dBpoweramp Guru

Dat Ei,
    I'm not aware of anyone who has either the DX150 or DX200. I know you want experiences from someone who actually owns either dap. I assume you've seen the reviews at Head-Fi or TheHeadphoneList.com. I had to read a review from April 2017 to learn anything about the UI. I didn't read anything about multi-value tags. It mentioned that artists are sorted using the Artist tag and not the Album Artist tag, and there was no search option. Maybe there have been updates to add a search function. I'm very interested in what you decide to purchase.

Gary
    Hi Gary,

I never knew about TheHeadphoneList.com either! Cheers.

Funnily enough, my old Sennheiser 440-ii phones dies last month (after 25+ years!) so I will give it a visit...

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-11-2018 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    I'm in the lucky situation that my iPod is still working and I have no pressure to make a decision shortly. My only enemies at this stage are myself and my impatience.
    Dat Ei,

I too would be very interested to hear if/what you finally decide upon.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Oggy,

Again, the A&K Kann is strictly priced for the elite!:

Paul
    Paul,

I'm in exactly the same position as Dat Ei and have a 160GB iPod Classic, which still works very well, and hopefully keeps going for many more years! It is my third iPod, two earlier gen ones having died. It is my only Apple product, but judging by iTunes, they are another company who are capable of making their software worse with updates!

I've often wondered what I would replace it with, but as you are finding, many players simply do not do, what you want them to!

Some run on Android, so again foobar2000 becomes an option.

The A&K players are extremely good, but still don't do everything right.

I often listen to music via the iPod in the car, and wouldn't want to be without it.

dBpoweramp Guru

I'm in exactly the same position as Dat Ei and have a 160GB iPod Classic, which still works very well, and hopefully keeps going for many more years! It is my third iPod, two earlier gen ones having died. It is my only Apple product, but judging by iTunes, they are another company who are capable of making their software worse with updates!

I've often wondered what I would replace it with, but as you are finding, many players simply do not do, what you want them to!
    Oggy,

I have heard no end of issues about iTunes such as it adding material to your collection which you don't even want, and then deleting items! I don't understand the ins and outs but I have heard this quite a lot. Hence, I have no intention of using Amazon Prime Music or similar.

This is my main point really. I like to buy a device purely for what, fundamentally, that particular device should do. A phone being a phone, a DAP being a DAP. Just my thoughts though.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Recommendations for a digital audio player

Hi,

Rather than create a new thread, I have decided to tag my questions on to this one (already created by Dat Ei).

I was looking at portable/personal music players of which are sensibly priced and appear to offer the desired specs. I came up with two, but my concern (despite excellent reviews) is that I have never heard of the manufacturers before, nor have I ever purchased a brand I am not familiar with:

Or,

Many thanks in advance for any kind assistance offered here.

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-11-2018 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Link

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Paul,
    I wish you good luck in finding a DAP. Until three months ago I had been using a 160GB iPod Classic in my car. It still works, but I decided to use TuneFUSION to copy the majority of my library to MP3 on a 64GB USB thumb drive. I'm able to use the thumb drive in the car, and MP3 is adequate because of the car environment(road noise). I have also thought about a replacement for my iPod in case it dies. I have experimented with Foobar mobile on my iPhone and iPad. At home I like that Foobar mobile media servers option connects to my NAS, where the ALAC version of my music resides. It also connects to Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server both of which I'm only testing with a small portion of my music library. I hope you can get Foobar to work with your Amazon Fire.

Gary

dBpoweramp Guru

Good morning,

please apologize my late answer but I've watch the football semifinal last night.

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    I too would be very interested to hear if/what you finally decide upon.
    I did not make a decision so far. There exist several reasons that:

1.) No possibility to check and listen to DAPs I'm interested in. Too bad for an investment in that range.
    2.) My favorite DAP iBasso DX 150 (based on the specs and whitepapers) does offer neither aptX nor aptX HD. While aptX could be implemented by firmware and still has a chance to be seen in newer firmware versions (statement from a iBasso support employee), aptX HD requires a chip which is missing in the DX 150.
    3.) My iPod is still ok - no need to rush.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Gary,

Thanks a lot.

The iPod Classic player/replacement seems to be a regular saga I am hearing. It is most frustrating when you find something you love, and which performs all of the desired tasks, has become discontinued!

The exact same thing as happened to me (and many other owners) of the 1990s superb pair of 'HD 440 ii' headphones from Sennheiser. I have been having a nightmare finding an adequate replacement.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Recommendations for a digital audio player

Hi Dat Ei,

To be honest, I had never even heard of aptX before, until I looked it up after you mentioned it!

It looks like an expensive feature which is built into DAP/phones:

I think if I owned something of this value, then I would be too worried about taking it out in case I lost it!

Unless you are listening in a quiet environment, and on good quality headphones, can you really hear the difference?

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-12-2018 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Link