title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Error creating file - unable to write ID tags/ unable to create file (Mac)

Re: Error creating file - unable to write ID tags/ unable to create file (Mac)

Thanks anyway, the paths are just the external drive (seagate backup plus) plus the folder structure

dBpoweramp Guru

Did you notice that "/Volumes/Seagate backup plus" is part of the path twice (see screenshot)?

Dat Ei

Seems to be an issue with CBR, just tried vbr and it worked ok.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by neil74 View Post
    Seems to be an issue with CBR, just tried vbr and it worked ok.
    ALAC doesn't use cbr or vbr. You originally stated:
    so far been attempting to encode them to both ALAC and also AAC without success

are you now saying the issue only occurs with AAC?

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    OK, I am unsure what the issue is here. Assuming your flac files are not corrupt, I do not know why you can't convert a local flac file to alac.

Also, I am not familiar with the paths you are seeing, perhaps because I am a windows user. I think Spoon or another mac user will have to help you with this one, sorry.
    I know that and yes it happens on both aac and alac, thought id mention vbr aac though as i had not tried that before.

Thanks

Super Moderator

Thanks for your feedback.

Regarding AAC-
    It would appear that we set the upper bitrate limit too high. Apple AAC codec refuses to encode stereo 44100Hz (CD sourced) material at bitrates above 320kbps. These issues are being worked on as of dBpoweramp R16.4 beta, hence different (slightly more meaningful) error message.
    From the quality point of view, using such high AAC bitrates makes very little sense - unless encoding multichannel/surround audio. You probably want to use a lossless codec instead.

Regarding ALAC (Apple Lossless)-
    If conversion to Apple Lossless is failing for you as well, please post the exact error messages, as far as I know they should not be the same as with AAC. There's a "copy errors to clipboard" button in the error dialog, please use it to post full un-truncated messages.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    Thanks for your feedback.

Regarding AAC-
    It would appear that we set the upper bitrate limit too high. Apple AAC codec refuses to encode stereo 44100Hz (CD sourced) material at bitrates above 320kbps. These issues are being worked on as of dBpoweramp R16.4 beta, hence different (slightly more meaningful) error message.
    From the quality point of view, using such high AAC bitrates makes very little sense - unless encoding multichannel/surround audio. You probably want to use a lossless codec instead.

Regarding ALAC (Apple Lossless)-
    If conversion to Apple Lossless is failing for you as well, please post the exact error messages, as far as I know they should not be the same as with AAC. There's a "copy errors to clipboard" button in the error dialog, please use it to post full un-truncated messages.
    Thanks, that makes sense I guess with the beta version too. I know that there are lots of arguments that AAC is transparent even at 256kbps but I was just looking to remove doubt from the equation. I’ll try CBR tonight at 320kbps to see if that works too. I’ll also post the screen grab from the ALAC error.

Thanks again

So CBR 320 kbps worked ok (other than a handful of files that I guess must be corrupt somehow) ALAC also worked fine too on the small test sample that I tried.

It is a shame that you cannot go higher than 320 on AAC, even if it maybe is not really necessary to do so. Sounds decent enough though and definitely more consistent than the Spotify with the regular turds that it serves up.

Thanks for the help!

What about the M4a FDK (AAC) codec? This seems to work with 512 kbps.

Is this one that is worth using?

dBpoweramp Guru

What about the M4a FDK (AAC) codec? This seems to work with 512 kbps.

Is this one that is worth using?
    Why convert at all, why not stick with your original flac files?

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Why convert at all, why not stick with your original flac files?
    Just file size really, the 512kbps files are still well under half the size of the corresponding flac file.

dBpoweramp Guru

Just file size really, the 512kbps files are still well under half the size of the corresponding flac file.
    How many flac files do you have?

Overall about 4000 but I have cut down 'favorite' list of just under 2000. Ogg (vorbis and Opus) also allows a higher bitrate.

I know we are talking about diminishing returns here but M4a FDK (AAC) vorbis or Opus all go to 512kbps so could have an edge over 320 kbps AAC whilst still saving significant space vs. FLAC?

dBpoweramp Guru

Overall about 4000 but I have cut down 'favorite' list of just under 2000. Ogg (vorbis and Opus) also allows a higher bitrate.
    4000 flac files, what's that about 100GB?

What flac compression level are you using? You could try converting flac to flac, with compression level 8.

But, my best suggestion is to purchase a 1TB USB hard drive, cost £40 and stick with flac.

Thanks

For use indoors I am absolutely sticking with FLAC. I am looking to convert for use on my phone (android device on Oreo wired use or bluetooth using LDAC)

Have a 128gb phone with no SD card so file size is a consideration