title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About

Thread: How to rip a MQA CD to enjoy Hi-res music

Question How to rip a MQA CD to enjoy Hi-res music

Hi, I am using a Mac version of Dbpoweramo CD Ripper, how can I rip a MQA CD to enjoy the Hi-res music at 24/192. What DSP setting and/or any other setting I should adopt ?

Thanks in advance.

Da Man

Re: How to rip a MQA CD to enjoy Hi-res music

Nothing can rip MQA

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Do you have a Ottava CD, from their release in Japan?
    The idea is they play as regular Redbook CDs with 16/44.1 tracks, but with MQA encoding, so when playback through a MQA enabled DAC, the additional HiRes information is extracted. But it only at the DAC that this decoding will occur, until then the CD is read as a Redbook CD.
    So I wonder if the tracks can be ripped, whether the FLAC files extract still contain the MQA encoding, and therefore can be decoded.
    i.e. placed on a NAS, and read by Roon Core, which has the ability to make the first unfold through software decoding.
    Would need to experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by simes_pep View Post
    Do you have a Ottava CD, from their release in Japan?
    The idea is they play as regular Redbook CDs with 16/44.1 tracks, but with MQA encoding, so when playback through a MQA enabled DAC, the additional HiRes information is extracted. But it only at the DAC that this decoding will occur, until then the CD is read as a Redbook CD.
    So I wonder if the tracks can be ripped, whether the FLAC files extract still contain the MQA encoding, and therefore can be decoded.
    i.e. placed on a NAS, and read by Roon Core, which has the ability to make the first unfold through software decoding.
    Would need to experiment.
    I just brought the Classic Sampler, so I just copy all the MQA files from the MQA CD to my NAS/Macbook, then see if Roon can decode the MQA files ? Will give it a try later..thanks

dBpoweramp can rip MQA encoded CDs. Just ripped Supertramp - Breakfast In America (UHQCD) that has MQA 352.8kHz/24bit resolution encoded. The CD streamed to my PS Audio DirectStream DAC (via PerfectWave Network Bridge II) and it perfectly "unfolded" the MQA resolution. Awesome program as usual!

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-40204

Quote Originally Posted by nsxelent View Post
    dBpoweramp can rip MQA encoded CDs. Just ripped Supertramp - Breakfast In America (UHQCD) that has MQA 352.8kHz/24bit resolution encoded. The CD streamed to my PS Audio DirectStream DAC (via PerfectWave Network Bridge II) and it perfectly "unfolded" the MQA resolution. Awesome program as usual!

Hi, I did the same with another MQA-UHQCD from CD Japan, 10 out of the 12 titles in the CD rip OK, but only 2 titles still play at 16/44. Do you need to adjust any DSP setting in dBpoweramp ? Thanks for the advice in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by nsxelent View Post

Can u tell me which version of dbpoweramp and pc os your were using to rip the cd?
    What parameters does it need to change?
    I encounter difficulties in ripping this kind of cd to get MQA encoded files.

Quote Originally Posted by Leungah View Post
    Hi, I did the same with another MQA-UHQCD from CD Japan, 10 out of the 12 titles in the CD rip OK, but only 2 titles still play at 16/44. Do you need to adjust any DSP setting in dBpoweramp ? Thanks for the advice in advance.
    I also encounter a very strange issue, if I rip non classical MQA UHQCD all titles rip correctly as MQA and I can play as MQA. If I rip a classical MQA UHQCD the first title always play as 16/44 while other titles can play at MQA ? This had happened now to at least 5 - 6 such MQA UHQCD ? Any idea how to resolve this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Leungah View Post
    I also encounter a very strange issue, if I rip non classical MQA UHQCD all titles rip correctly as MQA and I can play as MQA. If I rip a classical MQA UHQCD the first title always play as 16/44 while other titles can play at MQA ? This had happened now to at least 5 - 6 such MQA UHQCD ? Any idea how to resolve this ?
    May i know what version of dbpoweramp u used to rip ur mqa cd?
    I can't even get 1 file with mqa encoded.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimprice View Post
    May i know what version of dbpoweramp u used to rip ur mqa cd?
    I can't even get 1 file with mqa encoded.
    Hi, Release 16.3. I can play MQA using Roon but if I use Bluesound controller, it can only play at 16/44. Since I use Roon for most of the time, so I did not investigate further with Bluesound.

Same issue here....
    After ripping with dbpoweramp, only few tracks are MQA decoded by software ROON. Moreover, none of the same tracks are decoded by my sony nw-a45 portable player (which is mqa compatible).
    Big disappointment, which shows me that MQA is in a way a type of DRM system for HiRes audio.....
    Next time I will buy the HiRes files or SACD instead.