title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: "Detecting Gaps / Indexes" - what exactly is it? And can the box be moved?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

"Detecting Gaps / Indexes" - what exactly is it? And can the box be moved?

Hi again

The Detecting Gaps / Detecting Indexes box that comes up when you first put in a CD is presumably a new-ish feature. It wasn't there in R14.4...

Anyhow, is it possible to hide or move or do anything with this notification box? I have two screens on my PC. I use DBPA on the left hand screen, but the Detecting Gaps / Indexes box comes up on the right hand screen. On some discs it take quite a while and ends up getting in the way of the other stuff I'm doing whilst I wait for the CD to finish "loading". If it was over on the left screen it would be a lot better for my set up.

Also, what exactly is the box doing? Just for interests sake, I just popped a CD in and pressed cancel as soon as the detection box came up, and the CD still loaded fine. What would have happened if I went ahead and done the rip? Poor/non-existent indexing and gap info I presume???

Cheers

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: "Detecting Gaps / Indexes" - what exactly is it? And can the box be moved?

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
    Hi again

The Detecting Gaps / Detecting Indexes box that comes up when you first put in a CD is presumably a new-ish feature. It wasn't there in R14.4...

Anyhow, is it possible to hide or move or do anything with this notification box? I have two screens on my PC. I use DBPA on the left hand screen, but the Detecting Gaps / Indexes box comes up on the right hand screen. On some discs it take quite a while and ends up getting in the way of the other stuff I'm doing whilst I wait for the CD to finish "loading". If it was over on the left screen it would be a lot better for my set up.

Also, what exactly is the box doing? Just for interests sake, I just popped a CD in and pressed cancel as soon as the detection box came up, and the CD still loaded fine. What would have happened if I went ahead and done the rip? Poor/non-existent indexing and gap info I presume???

Cheers
    odd. I have 16.4 version (windows). I've never seen a popup related to indexing/gap detection.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
    If I recall (and I am going back a long way now), isn't that window related to EAC?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    If I recall (and I am going back a long way now), isn't that window related to EAC?
    Yes, EAC has this option. Maybe Max has EAC installed too, and inserting a CD brings up the EAC option. (Max, you should at least set EAC settings to not automatically open when a CD inserted. Or even uninstall...no need for EAC if you have dbpa.)

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I don't have and never have had EAC installed so it is nothing to do with that...

How strange! I'm pretty certain it is DBPA doing it. When I load the disc, nothing happens in the main DBPA window until the pop is done going through the tracks. As soon as it finishes, the disc details and metadata appear.

I've got to pop out now but when I get back I'll see if I can capture it with a screenshot.

Cheers

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

OK, so here are the screenshots. I'd be mighty surprised if they were not to do with DBPA

Perhaps someone else can say whether they have/haven't seen this before? And maybe Spoon can shed some light on the matter?

Cheers

DBPA - Detecting Indexes.png

DBPA - Detecting Gaps.png

Administrator

When you detect the gaps, they can be displayed, or removed with certain DSP effects.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks Spoon.

Any thoughts on the first part my original post RE hiding/moving the notification or choosing which screen it comes up on?

And I'm also interested ot know why others do not have this pop up when I do? I presumed it was a standard feature for R16.4, but obviously not if others aren't seeing it...

Administrator

It is only shown if you have a column set to show gaps, if you go for the default columns then it will not need to detect the gaps.

We will look into why it comes up on the wrong screen.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Right, ok - that makes perfect sense.

So would I be right in saying that unless I intend to DO something with the track gaps, there is no point in having the column there in the first place? Or to put it another way, the Gap (Pre-Track) column is purely information only and unless the info it gives you is used somehow (with the DSP, etc) it might as well not be there?

If that's all correct then I guess I might as well just remove the column and solve the problem that way....

Administrator

You can remove the columns

dBpoweramp Guru

aha. that's why I've never seen it. I don't have that column set. There's no use for it anyhow.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    aha. that's why I've never seen it. I don't have that column set. There's no use for it anyhow.
    Yes, it all makes sense now... And yes, I'll be getting rid of that column

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    We will look into why it comes up on the wrong screen.
    If you do end up looking into it, would you also be able to look at why the same thing happens with the CD Ripper options window, which likewise comes up on the "other" screen (the one that the main DBPA window is not on). Would be much better for me if it came up on the same screen as the main DBPA window.

And for the record, this does not happen with all additional windows. When I click on Encoder settings, and Metadata review, they DO open on the same screen as the main window.

Cheers