title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Error Message: 'Unable To Write ID Tags For ...'

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Error Message: 'Unable To Write ID Tags For ...'

Hi folks,

I have ripped a CD (Olivier Messien's 'Quatuor pour la fin du temps').

8/9 tracks have ripped fine. However, track 7 seems to be causing a issue. I have never experienced this error before:

In short, all tagging fields for Track 7 remain blank, and when I try to complete them, the above pop-up appears (ie. 'Unable To Write ID Tags For ...').

Many thanks in advance for ny kind assistance offered here.

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-21-2018 at 11:51 AM. Reason: LINK

Administrator

Re: Error Message: 'Unable To Write ID Tags For ...'

It likely means some other program has the file left open, try restarting your computer.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Spoon,

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    It likely means some other program has the file left open, try restarting your computer.
    You mean like the TRACK is open in (say) foobar or VLC?

I will try your advice ...

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Error Message: 'Unable To Write ID Tags For ...'

Hi again,

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    I still receive the same error!?:

Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

I had a similar issue where I couldn't write tags to an AIFF file I wanted to convert to FLAC. Spoon suggested I convert AIFF to AIFF, which worked. Unless you get better advice, try converting FLAC to FLAC in this case. (Convert it to a separate location so as not to overwrite the original.)

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    I had a similar issue where I couldn't write tags to an AIFF file I wanted to convert to FLAC. Spoon suggested I convert AIFF to AIFF, which worked. Unless you get better advice, try converting FLAC to FLAC in this case. (Convert it to a separate location so as not to overwrite the original.)
    OK, thanks a lot JH. I will have a try ...

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi JH,

I followed your kind advice, thanks. Unfortunately the results were the same.

And so I just decided to re-rip the single track from the CD again. This time there were no issues! Perhaps the file got corrupted? Or else my PC does not like 'Modern Classical' genre!

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-21-2018 at 06:43 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi JH,

I followed your kind advice, thanks. Unfortunately the results were the same.

And so I just decided to re-rip the single track from the CD again. This time there were no issues!
    You gave yourself better advice than I did.

Perhaps the file got corrupted? Or else my PC does not like 'Modern Classical' genre!
    Maybe your PC thinks you're corrupted.

I hate it when my PC decides to play critic.

dBpoweramp Guru

You gave yourself better advice than I did.

Maybe your PC thinks you're corrupted.

I hate it when my PC decides to play critic.
    Hi JH,

I am really not sure what happened there. It's the first time this has happened. But knowing your trick of converting to an identical file format is a handy tip to know, cheers.

btw (and slightly OT) - I noticed an UPDATE CODEC notice on my 'dBpa' splash-page. Do I really need to do so? I mean, I feel I only use a small % of the software's capabilities; and also, I am tempted to follow the motto:

"if it ain't broke, then don't fix it!"

Cheers.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-21-2018 at 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

I've gotten similar messages when my antivirus opened the file immediately after it was written but before dBpoweramp was done with it and was still analyzing it, most commonly with very short tracks. I ended putting some of the relevant directories in the AV 'don't scan' list. But yes, if it somehow got corrupted, then I'd suppose that the ripper wouldn't be able to write some of the tags. Tags like replay gain can't be written until after dBpoweramp has read the entire file. And if its Album Replay Gain, until all the tracks are read.

Regarding codec updates, first, if it is a codec update for one you don't use, then there is no rush. If it is for one you are using, absent a serious error or virus susceptibility, I typically let updates "age" a week or more. At work we got burnt too many times by software (or hardware) updates that had their own bugs. But if you get too far behind, you can end up finding issues that were corrected in one of the updates you never installed.

John

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi John,

Quote Originally Posted by schmidj View Post
    I've gotten similar messages when my antivirus opened the file immediately after it was written but before dBpoweramp was done with it and was still analyzing it, most commonly with very short tracks. I ended putting some of the relevant directories in the AV 'don't scan' list. But yes, if it somehow got corrupted, then I'd suppose that the ripper wouldn't be able to write some of the tags. Tags like replay gain can't be written until after dBpoweramp has read the entire file. And if its Album Replay Gain, until all the tracks are read.
    It's really funny/coincidental that you should mention this. Directly after ripping, I got a MalwareBytes UPDATE notice. I use/trust MalwareBytes and so naturally I updated, and thought no more of it. Then I continued with making edits (eg. lowercase, semicolons, etc) to any relevant tags. At this point, I received the 'ERROR' notice! From what you suggest, I feel my issue was likely caused by the malware update. As I say, it is the first it has happened and it has not happened again since.

Regarding codec updates, first, if it is a codec update for one you don't use, then there is no rush. If it is for one you are using, absent a serious error or virus susceptibility, I typically let updates "age" a week or more. At work we got burnt too many times by software (or hardware) updates that had their own bugs. But if you get too far behind, you can end up finding issues that were corrected in one of the updates you never installed.
    OK, cheers; I see your points. I will have a look at the new codecs on offer ...

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Angry Re: Error Message: 'Unable To Write ID Tags For ...'

Hi,

The SD-card port is definitely causing some kind of problem (as the PC is still, periodically, not seeing the card when inserted). This has gone on for 3 months now! Microsoft have taken remote-access 3 times and Hewlett Packard twice. Nothing has fixed it. Ditto for the PC not granting me 'permission' to edit certain files.

And so, I flipped out this afternoon and have demanded a full refund, which I have got!

Cheers,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

I formatted my Hewlett Packard laptop last week but still had issues with the SD-card port, and error messages in general. So I jumped up and down and got a full cash refund.

My replacement (free upgrade!) arrived this afternoon (hence I am online again) and so I will need to reinstalled 'dBpa' etc once again. But hopefully all previously mentioned issues will be history.

Paul