title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD in perfect mint conditions but CD ripper reports bad frames

CD in perfect mint conditions but CD ripper reports bad frames

Hello,

I have seen multiple different conditions that I'm trying to understand so please help me out

1) I have several CDs that are in perfect physical condition (as far as my eyes can tell), but the CD ripper says that there are hundreds of bad frames. "Your CD is bad even if you can not see defects" you should say, but then I try again later and it rips without problems. Any ideas?
    2) CD seems to be in perfect condition but then CD ripper reports ten of thousands of bad frames and when I playback the CD it sound very scratchy like a very damaged dirty LP. In this case I think that there is no doubt that the CD is damage but I don't know why.
    3) Tracks reports bad frames program re-rips and re-rips and at the end the program reports insecure or error. How can you I save this?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: CD in perfect mint conditions but CD ripper reports bad frames

I sometimes have brand new CDs, right out of wrapping that have bad frames. Can be manufacturing defect. However, typically I solve problem by ripping with a different drive. Some CDs rip perfectly in one drive and lots of errors in another drive. Best to have 2 or 3 optical drives to use. They can be very cheap. Mine are throwaways from old computers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Some CDs, especially European pressings from 2000-2005 have some form of copy protection, which some CD drives have problems with. I have on several occasions aborted a rip after track one has reported 1,000 of frames with errors, and then ripped the CD error free in a different drive.

I agree with garym, and have several (cheap, or free) CD drives, using two or three drives, when an error occurs, It is an extremely small percentage that I cannot rip error free. If I was relying on the laptop's drive, this would be literally dozens.

Possibly your CD drive's lens is dirty and it is being ultra sensitive.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

The other thing that can make a huge difference is to wash the CD. I'll take a CD, wash it under warm water with Ivory soap (you really don't want any perfumes or oils!), and the dry it gently (I use T-shirts that have been washed dozens of times). I have had a CD, which looked perfect but was giving thousands of bad frames, and after washing it the rip was perfect without a single bad frame.

Mike

Yes I first wash them with soap and water then alcohol and finally tried the toothpaste trick. I will check with a different drive.

Use another drive and this time it was worst. With the internal DVD drive of the laptop CD Ripper report thousands on bad frames. With the external USB3 CD/DVD/Blu ray it starts reading then it report errors for all the tracks in quick succession. VLC can not read the CD, neither Winamp. If I put it in my car cd player it plays without noticeable errors.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 3d1l View Post
    Use another drive and this time it was worst. With the internal DVD drive of the laptop CD Ripper report thousands on bad frames. With the external USB3 CD/DVD/Blu ray it starts reading then it report errors for all the tracks in quick succession. VLC can not read the CD, neither Winamp. If I put it in my car cd player it plays without noticeable errors.
    turn off "use C2 error checking" in the secure ripping settings and try USB3 drive again.

Garym thanks for your suggestions two interesting things, first options that are disabled in DBPoweramp and second disks that rip with accurate report with CUETools.

First: I cannot disable/enable C2 error checking because that option is grayed out. From Options menu, all the following settings are disabled/grayed out and cannot be selected:

Ultra Secure
    Enable Ultra Secure Ripping
    Vary Drive Speed Each Pass

Drive Read Cache - after running detection the program says that the drive doesn't have cache
    Clear Read Cache with FUA
    C3 Error Pointers for Error Detection
    8KB Transfers (C2 Pointers over USB / Firewire)

Second: I use CUERipper from CUETools with another CD with a track that DBPoweramp CDRipper constantly rips with errors from both the internal and the USB/external drives. After finished CUERipper reports that the entire disc rip was accurate. Ran DBPoweramp CD Ripper again to rip the disc and this time CDRipper said that the track rip was accurate. Put the disk that CDRipper doesn't even want to read (quick consecutive errors for all tracks), either from the internal or external drive and rip it with CUERipper. CUERipper reports that all tracks were accurately ripped. Ran CDRipper and this time the entire disk is ripped, not only without errors, but with a perfect accurate report.

What's going on??????

dBpoweramp Guru

Do you have the purchased version of dbpa CD ripper. Not sure, but I recall that the free trial version doesn't allow the ultra secure settings.

Silly me, yes I do have a paid license but for version R15.1 not 16. I downloaded and reinstalled the software couple of months ago and didn't realize that. How do I get version 15? it seems that you can only download version 16. I will have to send an email.

Anyways my questions are still valid. Why DBPoweramp CD Ripper (free version), can not read and rip a CD but it can be ripped after the CD is ripped by CUETools CUERipper?
    Last edited by 3d1l; 05-15-2018 at 10:32 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 3d1l View Post
    Silly me, yes I do have a paid license but for version R15.1 not 16. I downloaded and reinstalled the software couple of months ago and didn't realize that. How do I get version 15? it seems that you can only download version 16. I will have to send an email.
    Go to Registration Retrieval and enter the order number from your R15 purchase email.

dBpoweramp Guru

Look for your registration email. It contains an order number, which you need to download your purchased version again.

https://secure.dbpoweramp.com/getorder.aspx

Dat Ei

PS: mville was faster than me...

I got a message that says that the Registration page is locked and that I have to try back in 3 hours. I sent an email to administrators.

Administrators answer my email and send me the link to download the program but it seems that my version is not the reference so the options are not available.

dBpoweramp Guru

If you have purchased dBpa R15.x, then you can use the reference Version of R15.x. You still have the registration email with your order number? Or did Spoon send you your order number?

Dat Ei