title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: playback in hi-res

playback in hi-res

I have already ripped over 600 cd's to my pc at 192. Will downloading this product upgrade my music library to hi res 320?

Byas

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: playback in hi-res

192 what, exactly and to which file format are you ripping?

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    192 what, exactly and to which file format are you ripping?
    I have a PC not MAC. Ripped tp Mp3 format I believe at 192 kpbs

wma 9.1 CBR@193.8 - Windows Media Audio 9.1 (Standard) CBR, 193.8 kbit/s FBR
    ENCODER: Windows Media Player 10.00.00.3802
    - CD Ripping
    - Format: Windows Media Audio
    - Audio quality: Best Quality (192 Kbps)
    - 44100 Hz Stereo
    DECODER: Windows Media Player 10.00.00.3802

Byas

Administrator

You have quite poor quality files, the only way to upgrade them is to re-rip to lossless.

Thanks for the bad news lol. When I get around to buying a new PC I will rip the CD's again using a lossless software. In the meantime when I hook my PC into my hi-end audio Equipment via HDMI and it sounds pretty good just wanted to see if there was a big difference like if they would sound like I was playing the CD through my OPPO BDP/SACD player. As it is I listen to all my DVD-Audio discs and SACD's on the player.

Byas

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Byas View Post
    In the meantime when I hook my PC into my hi-end audio Equipment via HDMI and it sounds pretty good just wanted to see if there was a big difference like if they would sound like I was playing the CD through my OPPO BDP/SACD player.
    Download and install the 21 day trial version of dBpoweramp Reference. Then run CD Ripper, rip a CD to a lossless format e.g. flac and see what it sounds like in your system.

I purchased a new laptop with windows media player 12 installed on it. It rips cd's in lossless FLAC codec at 470-940 kbps. here is the link:

http://homenetworking01.info/2015/09...-media-player/

Another interesting link I stumbled across:

https://lifehacker.com/5903625/mp3-o...with-this-test

Administrator

Windows Media Player is far from the best ripper to rip to FLAC, it will not inform or try to recover from errors it encounters on the CDs, so around 2% of the discs you rip will have an error. Take a look at dBpoweramp CD Ripper if you want to rip securely and be notified if there are errors in the rip.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Byas View Post
    I purchased a new laptop with windows media player 12 installed on it. It rips cd's in lossless FLAC codec at 470-940 kbps.
    Yes, you can use Windows Media Player, but before you do, I advise you to search these forums for the problems you will run into, when using WMP.

Have already started re-ripping my cd library. I have Yamaha 2060 Receiver, 5:2 speaker set up (JBL Studio L series using dual L8400p subs). All speakers except subs which have internal amps and are powered through the pre-outs on the receiver into separate amplifiers. I listen mainly to jazz. Running new laptop and older laptop with 192 kpbs downloads and comparing same songs back to back. I sound of the new lossless rips is an improvement but not a knock you out revelation. Still I am happy with the sound reproduced by the lossless ripper on Windows Media Player 12. WMP is extremely easy to use and I love the format. I can hear more differences in the 2 formats using my Sennheiser 650 HD headphones at a moderate level. I will check the forum as previously stated for problems with WMP as so far I have had none either with my old laptop (6 years), or the new one with lossless rips installed.

dBpoweramp Guru

If you have decided to re-rip your entire CD collection, why are you not using dBpoweramp with CD Ripper?

Using WMP, are you aware that you will NOT know whether you have bit-perfect rips, you will not know which rips have errors and you will run into artwork issues at some point.

Finally, please bear in mind that this is not a windows media player forum.