title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Defective CD - how rip it anyway

Defective CD - how rip it anyway

I have a CD which is defective. The CD was originally released 20 years ago as part of a museum research project, may very well be out of print, there are few of them in the USA (I just got the last one at Amazon), and I need to rip it anyway for a paper I'm writing. What is the best/fastest way to undo secure ripping and all attempts to read this thing accurately. I just want dBpoweramp to do what it can with what its got, knowing that it will be inaccurate (but good enough). Much like what a CD player will do with a CD which is marginal - just interpolate the bad frames and get on with it.

After I rip this CD, I'll return to secure rip settings.

What are the settings / unsettings I need to make?

Administrator

Re: Defective CD - how rip it anyway

Try to rip on secure mode, if it will not rip then use burst.

Most drives self interpolate these days.

I tried messing with various secure mode settings, limiting drive speed, etc. but the last 1/3 of the tracks just won't rip. The ripper craps out on all the later tracks - too many bad frames, timeout trying to rip the track, etc. CD looks fine to the naked eye, so I'm guessing there was a problem when it was manufactured. Just changing to burst mode is fast and easy. Thanks.

"Most drives self interpolate these days."

What does that mean? I know most drives will interpolate when playing red book audio. That has been true for ages. Are you saying the drive will interpolate without reporting it isn't giving a bit-perfect read when ripping?

Administrator

>Are you saying the drive will interpolate without reporting it isn't giving a bit-perfect read when ripping?

Yes

It might be worth trying different makes of CD drive, they are not all equal when it comes to reading certain discs.