title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripper Converting Delimiter for Multiple Artists from semicolon to slash

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adavis521
    • Jan 2010

Ripper Converting Delimiter for Multiple Artists from semicolon to slash

When I place multiple artists in the track artist field I use the format: "Artist1; Artist2; Artist 3". I universally rip FLAC's. In the past this produced tags of the same format. But since I reinstalled on my new computer, it is producing tags with the format: "Artist1/Artist2/Artist3". This is not the first time that I upgraded my computer, but it is the first time I've seen this behavior. I looked for settings to custom choose the delimiter for multi-artists, but couldn't find it. Could you point me in the right direction?

I simply want the Flac's tag to have the same format as they do before I do the rip - "Artist1; Artist2: Artist3"

Oh and secondly, I have ripped a bunch of CD's before I noticed this change. Is there a way to go batch change these artist fields on the tags of the already written FLAC tag's or is this a slow manual process only?

Much appreciated...

Adam
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Ripper Converting Delimiter for Multiple Artists from semicolon to slash

dBpoweramp does not write "Artist1/Artist2/Artist3", so you are seeing the player represent multiple tags in that way.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mville
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by adavis521
      When I place multiple artists in the track artist field I use the format: "Artist1; Artist2; Artist 3". I universally rip FLAC's. In the past this produced tags of the same format. But since I reinstalled on my new computer, it is producing tags with the format: "Artist1/Artist2/Artist3".
      In which software are you seeing this behaviour?

Comment

• adavis521
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Spoon
        dBpoweramp does not write "Artist1/Artist2/Artist3", so you are seeing the player represent multiple tags in that way.
        Thanks Spoon. This is strange as I haven't opened a player yet. I simply brought the tags into the program tag&rename which has always been my workflow. If I open albums I previously ripped I get...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	293894

If I look at an album I recently ripped, I get...

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	293895

So the application is opening up two sets of Flac's ripped using dBpoweramp and getting 2 very different format for artist field. Any tips?

Comment

• adavis521
          • Jan 2010

tag&rename. See post above. It is only happening with recently ripped tracks, one I previously ripped in same program are displaying "artist1; artist2; artist3"

Comment

• mville
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2008

Thanks Spoon. This is strange as I haven't opened a player yet. I simply brought the tags into the program tag&rename which has always been my workflow. If I open albums I previously ripped I get...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2092[/ATTACH]

If I look at an album I recently ripped, I get...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2093[/ATTACH]

So the application is opening up two sets of Flac's ripped using dBpoweramp and getting 2 very different format for artist field. Any tips?
            The files in your screenshots are mp3 files, not flac files. You stated earlier, I universally rip FLAC's.

Please confirm, is the problem occurring when you rip to the flac file format or when you rip to the mp3 file format?

Comment

• adavis521
              • Jan 2010

Oh, great point. Yes, it is also occuring with FLAC's. I rip FLAC's and then make an MP3 copy. The FLAC's are put on a separate drive. Here is an example of a freshly ripped FLAC...

Name:	Capture3.PNG
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	293896

Thanks,
              Adam

Comment

• mville
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2008

Oh, great point. Yes, it is also occuring with FLAC's. I rip FLAC's and then make an MP3 copy. The FLAC's are put on a separate drive. Here is an example of a freshly ripped FLAC...
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]2094[/ATTACH]
                What is showing if you use the dBpoweramp context menu option Edit ID-Tag, on the same flac file?

Comment

• mville
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2008

Which dBpoweramp platform/version are you using?

Comment

• adavis521
                    • Jan 2010

Name:	Capture4.PNG
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	293897

Is this the context menu? Weird, there it is proper. Well, I'll be damned. Any tips why tag&rename may be reading identically formatted artist fields differently? Seems like I'm still missing something here and now I know it's no longer dBpoweramp issue, but I for the life of me can't figure out why it would behave this way. Today when I open two different tracks that show the same in context menu, they show differently in tag&rename based on when I ripped them. hmmm...

Relatedly, do you guys have a bulk tag management tool? Maybe going across multiple vendors is a mistake.

Adam

Comment

• adavis521
                      • Jan 2010

14.2 I believe. But will to upgrade if that will help or if there is other functionality I'm missing out on. But to be honest, nothing has changed on my side. My workflow is identical.

Comment

• mville
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Dec 2008

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2095[/ATTACH]

Is this the context menu? Weird, there it is proper. Well, I'll be damned. Any tips why tag&rename may be reading identically formatted artist fields differently? Seems like I'm still missing something here and now I know it's no longer dBpoweramp issue, but I for the life of me can't figure out why it would behave this way. Today when I open two different tracks that show the same in context menu, they show differently in tag&rename based on when I ripped them. hmmm...

Relatedly, do you guys have a bulk tag management tool? Maybe going across multiple vendors is a mistake.
                        Yes, it states dBpoweramp: Edit ID-Tag in the window title.

As I suspected and as Spoon stated in post no. 2, the problem is with tag&rename, probably just a configuration/option that needs setting correctly.

BTW, I use different tagging tools form different developers, so it is not a mistake.

Comment

• mville
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Dec 2008

14.2 I believe. But will to upgrade if that will help or if there is other functionality I'm missing out on. But to be honest, nothing has changed on my side. My workflow is identical.
                          So, R14.2 for the windows platform? The screenshot is showing R14.4.

Upgrading will probably not make any difference to this issue, as the issue does not occur in R14.4, as shown in your previous screenshot.

Comment

• adavis521
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by mville
                            Yes, it states dBpoweramp: Edit ID-Tag in the window title.

As I suspected and as Spoon stated in post no. 2, the problem is with tag&rename, probably just a configuration/option that needs setting correctly.

BTW, I use different tagging tools form different developers, so it is not a mistake.

I really appreciate your help and support. The thing that doesn't make sense to me is why tag&rename would show "artist1/artist2" with recently ripped tracks and "artist1; artist2" with previously ripped tracks that have identical formats in their Edit ID-tag. This signifies to me something is different in these ID-tag even if I can't see it in the context tool. Does that make sense?

Comment

• mville
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Dec 2008

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is why tag&rename would show "artist1/artist2" with recently ripped tracks and "artist1; artist2" with previously ripped tracks that have identical formats in their Edit ID-tag. This signifies to me something is different in these ID-tag even if I can't see it in the context tool. Does that make sense?
                              First of all, I assume that with ALL your flac rips with multi-value tags, you have used the semi-colon as the separator and the same tags show the semi-colon separator, in Edit ID-Tag. This is my experience when using CD Ripper and ripping to flac.

I have no experience with tag&rename so cannot comment on what is happening to your flacs when you use the software and what possible changes may or may not occur when using the software.

I think you'd be better served by checking with tag&rename support, for a possible explanation.

Comment

Working...

]]>