title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Environmental/mechanical vibration and accurate/secure ripping?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RecklessMission
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jan 2018

Environmental/mechanical vibration and accurate/secure ripping?

I'm ripping my CDs using a relatively cheap slim-enclosure LG USB optical drive sitting atop a wooden desk in an old house with wooden floors prone to flex and vibration when people or pets walk on it (there's no way I can stop this or get around it). Despite the environmental vibration, I'm getting accurate/secure rips about 95% of the time (the other 5% is most likely due to damaged or faulty CDs -rather than environmental/mechanical factors).

My question is - Is there any possibility that environmental/mechanical vibrations, possibly jostling the optical drive, would result in faulty rips despite those rips being reported by dBpoweramp as accurate or secure?
  • Dat Ei
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2014

Re: Environmental/mechanical vibration and accurate/secure ripping?

Very unlikely, cause faulty rips would result with high probability in different checksums for those files. And those checksums have to be identical to the ones in the accurate database to get a accurate rip result. In case of secure rip you have to produce the same checksum several times, what is very unlikely in case of a mechanical bump.

Dat Ei

Comment

• RecklessMission
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Dat Ei
      Very unlikely, cause faulty rips would result with high probability in different checksums for those files. And those checksums have to be identical to the ones in the accurate database to get a accurate rip result. In case of secure rip you have to produce the same checksum several times, what is very unlikely in case of a mechanical bump.

Dat Ei
      Great, thanks. That puts me more at ease.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by RecklessMission
        Great, thanks. That puts me more at ease.
        There would be a greater chance of me growing wings and learning to fly than an accuraterip matching report reported as correct when wrong because of vibration while ripping. In short, not gonna happen!

Comment

Working...

]]>