title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD Ripper Locks Up

CD Ripper Locks Up

CD Ripper Locks Up

I just purchased dBpoweramp 16.4, and I’m trying to use CD Ripper.
    The program sees the music tracks on my CD’s, and pulls up the album art, but when I start the rip, the Rip Status box just hangs at 0%.
    If I click “Skip Track” or “Cancel Rip”, nothing happens. I can’t even stop the program with Task Manager.
    If I wait for several minutes, I’ll get an error:
    Error ripping to FLAC, ‘Track 1 to ‘E:\...
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc…

After running and closing CD Ripper, the optical drive is no longer available. I can start CD Ripper again, but it says <No CD Drive Found>
    From (Windows 10): Device Manager > DVD/CD-ROM drives > my drive > Properties:
    Device status reports:
    Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)
    To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.
    If I reboot the computer, the drive is back.

I’ve swapped in a second optical drive to the computer, same results.
    New drive is an LG Blu-ray drive: [HL-DT-ST-BD-RE WH16NS40]
    I’ve tried multiple CD’s. Same results.
    I’ve installed the software on a different computer, works fine.
    All other programs that access the optical drive work fine, including playing the audio CD from the optical drive.

Somehow the dBpoweramp software is not talking to my optical drive. Then, after trying to use dBpoweramp, the optical drive is disconnected from my computer and only a reboot can restore it.
    Anyone have ideas for how to fix this?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: CD Ripper Locks Up

Hey Carto,

is any other software accessing the CD drive while you try to rip? Did you try the burst mode? Which security software do you use?

Dat Ei

Administrator

> Then, after trying to use dBpoweramp, the optical drive is disconnected from my computer and only a reboot can restore it.

This is the CD drive is crashing internally, they should never do this, no matter what program access them. It is likely an incompatibility between the drive and SATA interface. The easiest option by far is to get a USB external drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Hey Carto,

is any other software accessing the CD drive while you try to rip? Did you try the burst mode? Which security software do you use?

Dat Ei
    Thanks,
    No, there should be no other software accessing the drive at the same time.
    I'm using Windows Defender, I guess I could try to turn it off and retry.
    Within CD Ripper, I'm just using the defaults, so I've only tried Burst mode so far.
    Are there any other settings to try?

Thanks,
    That's strange, I've tried this with two drives so far including the brand new drive.
    The thing I don't get is why other software (Windows Media Player, VLC Media Player, ImgBurn) can use the drive without problems. That seems like the SATA interface is fine. Or would it make sense to change where the SATA cable plugs into the motherboard?

OK,
    I've just tried another route. With an external CD drive connected via USB, CD Ripper works (but AccurateRip will not configure, keeps asking for additional "Key Disc" even after I tried 5).
    With Windows Defender turned off, I put an audio CD in my new internal drive, but this time did not even try to rip the CD, I just tried to PLAY the CD.
    Result: the little right-arrow "Play" button turns red, but the "Playing Status" bar under the "Rip Status" area remains at "Playing 0:00". After a few seconds I get the Windows 10 pop-up saying dbPoweramp CD Ripper is not responding...
    After closing the program, my whole computer locks up for a few seconds and when it recovers the internal player is no longer connected.
    Any ideas?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Carto View Post
    With an external CD drive connected via USB, CD Ripper works (but AccurateRip will not configure, keeps asking for additional "Key Disc" even after I tried 5).
    In that case keep on feeding CDs, which are as popular as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Carto View Post
    With Windows Defender turned off, I put an audio CD in my new internal drive, but this time did not even try to rip the CD, I just tried to PLAY the CD.
    Result: the little right-arrow "Play" button turns red, but the "Playing Status" bar under the "Rip Status" area remains at "Playing 0:00". After a few seconds I get the Windows 10 pop-up saying dbPoweramp CD Ripper is not responding...
    After closing the program, my whole computer locks up for a few seconds and when it recovers the internal player is no longer connected.
    Any ideas?
    You installation seems to work with the external drive, but not with the internal. So Spoon is right. Maybe you can look for a fireware update of your drive.

Dat Ei

Solved! At least for now...
    I used a new SATA cable and connected to a different SATA port on the Gigabyte motherboard.
    Both PLAY and RIP work fine now with the internal drive that was locking up before. Strange that only dbPoweramp had issues while apps like VLC Media Player were fine. Perhaps they use the SATA connection differently? Would be nice to know if there is some way to troubleshoot the SATA connection.
    Thanks for the ideas.