title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: HDCD question

HDCD question

Ripped all my music that included the DSP effects HDCD, Replay Gain and Folder preserve for multi encoder FLAC, ALAC and mp3Lame.
    While the music plays fine on most players some players like BOSE do not seem to like more than 16 bit and wont play tracks greater than 16 bit...( Bose 535 anyway).
    Not all my albums are HDCD of course but there are lots that are..
    Is there any way of using batch converter to pull back get the albums that were ripped and had HDCD component back to 16/44100 without re ripping the actual albums again?
    Or maybe someone knows how to get Bose to play 24 bit tracks?
    I'm thinking not...thought I ask the question anyway.... who knows I may be lucky
    Thanks
    Last edited by Floyd; 07-06-2018 at 07:09 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: HDCD question

I believe HDCD were 20-bit. But anyway, I'd suggest you set your server to transcode to 16-bit and see if that works.
    Or change the Bose for something better

Track Metadata indicates 24 bit...agree on the Bose comment...luckily I have other players that can handle HDCD. But still looking at a more efficient easier change using dbp batch if possible..
    Thanks anyway.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by timster67 View Post
    I believe HDCD were 20-bit. But anyway, I'd suggest you set your server to transcode to 16-bit and see if that works.
    Or change the Bose for something better
    HDCD audio CDs are 16-bit, 44.1kHz, where the equivalent 20-bits are encoded to 16-bit. Using the HDCD DSP will create 24-bit files (if flac or alac).

How are you playing/serving the files with the Bose?

Check the Bose specification, it may well have the HDCD codec installed. If so, you can rip your HDCDs without having to use the HDCD DSP.
    Last edited by mville; 07-07-2018 at 05:29 AM.

The CD's that were HDCD's were ripped long ago using dbp. Recently tried to play on Bose but Bose wont play any album or track that was ripped using the HDCD DSP effect.
    Any 16/44100 track is fine on the Bose ie any album that was ripped that was not a HDCD CD.
    I tried ripping an album without the HDCD DSP even though it was an HDCD album so that its 16 bit 44100 ie Neil Youngs Reactor album.
    Plays if HDCD is not included when ripping but does not play if ripped using HDCD DSP added.
    All that I was wanting to know is if there was anyway of doing a batch convert to remove the HDCD condition?
    Or is it a matter of having to re rip a couple of hundred CD's again with the HDCD DSP effect not added?
    Playing to Bose via the BOSE app on a Tablet from a NAS using FLAC lossless..
    If I have to re rip..so be it...just wanted to see if there was an easier option using dbp batch.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Floyd; 07-07-2018 at 05:45 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
    All that I was wanting to know is if there was anyway of doing a batch convert to remove the HDCD condition?
    Or is it a matter of having to re rip a couple of hundred CD's again with the HDCD DSP effect not added?
    Playing to Bose via the BOSE app on a Tablet from a NAS using FLAC lossless..
    If I have to re rip..so be it...just wanted to see if there was an easier option using dbp batch.
    Yes, I understand. What I was alluding to was that it may be better/easier just to re-rip your HDCDs without the HDCD DSP. How many HDCDs do you own, 200?

I playback in foobar2000 with the HDCD decoder, so I rip my HDCDs without the HDCD DSP as there is no need for it.

I tried converting a ripped HDCD album (FLAC ) that was ripped with the HDCD DSP effect added back to WAVE without the HDCD Effect and then converted that back to FLAC lossless ( without using the HDCD Effect DSP ) but the metadata still showed 24 bit.
    I have started re doing the actual HDCDs this time without the HDCD DSP effect.
    I will still keep the files already done but have a copy that is just 16 bit 44100 as well of all the HDCDs.
    I do have a couple of questions though..
    Given that for all my collection ( the other 3500 albums ) I ripped using the following DSP effects ( as some HDCD albums did not indicate that they were HDCD ) whether or not a known HDCD album was being done:

Replay Gain
    Folder Preserve
    HDCD

What effect would the HDCD DSP effect of had on the majority of albums that were not HDCD ie just CD?
    Hopefully none but I was hoping that I could of "reconstructed " the original HDCD album by converting back to wave from lossless FLAC but this did not happen otherwise when I re rip a conversion from wave back to FLAC without the HDCD DSP effect it would of produced a result that was plain 16 bit 44100.
    I was hoping that the FLAC Lossless rip done with dbp was an archive of my collection that could reproced the oringinal CD if necessary.
    Maybe I should not of used any DSP effects when I ripped originally or maybe should of ripped originally to WAVE as the main archive then produced a copy of FLAC or ALAC or LAME from the WAVE?
    When I re ripped the actual original HDCDs today to FLAC and ALAC without the HDCD effect they appear as 16 bit 44100.
    So I am guessing as mville suggested maybe I should never of used this HDCD effect in the first place?
    Or have I done something wrong?
    As an aside BOSE does not seem to want play any ripped audio from DVD either..anything it seems above 16 bit 44100 seems to be an issue.
    So for Bose it will be a folder of music with the DVD rips removed and the HDCD albums re ripped without the HDCD DSP effect.
    Whats another 2TB or so I guess...storage is cheap.. or maybe just forget about the gear that wont play higher density....
    No such problem on my other equipment.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by Floyd; 07-07-2018 at 07:48 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Any non-HDCDs will not need to be re-ripped, even though you have the HDCD DSP in the chain.

I am not suggesting you shouldn't use the HDCD, rather that you check the Bose specifications or contact Bose and ask them if your Bose device reads/decodes HDCDs. If yes, then you don't need to use the HDCD DSP as the Bose will handle the HDCD data on playback and, while your at it you could ask Bose why your device can't play 24-bit audio files.

Ok Thanks.
    Had already sent a note to Bose a few days ago..no reply as yet from them but it is pretty straight forward issue that ripping the same test CD's works if the HDCD effect is not used and does not work if the same CD's are ripped with the HDCD effect used.
    Cant see a setting in the Bose set up for anything to do with HDCD or 24 bit etc...will see what they say..not real hopeful...but asking the question cant hurt.
    Anyway I have only a 30 or so more CD's to re rip the without HDCD effect set.

dBpoweramp Guru

OK, good luck and let us know what Bose come back with.

Just FYI...
    Response from Bose.
    Like I said I was not expecting anything else..the point was missed by them that they were audio CD's involved...even missed the equipment I was talking about. I said a 535 or a Soundtouch 30..

"Thank you for your recent email to Bose and thank you for your question.

with our Sound Touch 30 system FLAC format only accepts 16 bit stereo files only. It is likely that the reason it is not working from a riped HDCD is likely for a 5.1 system or higher than 16 bit, Hence the reason it wont work.

I hope this answers your question. "
    Ah well...
    Last edited by Floyd; 07-09-2018 at 09:10 AM.