title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Unable to install latest version after purchasing update

Unable to install latest version after purchasing update

I purchased dBpoweramp Reference R16 after having an older version for years.
    I tried to install it on the same PC that I had dBpoweramp Reference R12.4 installed on. Tried it without uninstalling the older version first and it failed. I uninstalled everything (program and codecs), restarted the PC and tried it again. It still fails.
    I am getting the following message on my Windows 7 PC:
    Cannot install C:/Program files/dBPoweramp/dBConfig.exe, disk may be full
    I have over 400 GB of free space on the PC.
    I paid $20 to upgrade so I would get the latest version of FLAC.
    If this is not going to work for me, then you can cancel the upgrade order and refund my money. I will go back to my previous version that was working just fine. Seems ridiculous to have to post in a forum about this, but that's today's customer service for you.

Administrator

Re: Unable to install latest version after purchasing update

>Cannot install C:/Program files/dBPoweramp/dBConfig.exe, disk may be full

Something on your system is stopping the installer from writing this file, it will be your security software blocking the file.

dBpoweramp Guru

In addition to Spoon's post, I have just asked some more questions here in post no. 6:
    Re: dBpoweramp Reference R16.4 display error messages at installation

An example of why it is not a good idea to double post.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    >Cannot install C:/Program files/dBPoweramp/dBConfig.exe, disk may be full

Something on your system is stopping the installer from writing this file, it will be your security software blocking the file.
    Well, that is not what I am finding at all. I turned off Malwarebytes and Avast and am getting the sane exact message:

Again, as stated in my initial post, this is a Windows 7 PC and I can install my previous version with NO problem.
    I'll give this just a few more days before I go through PayPal to get my money back, because this new version does not seem to be compatible with my computer and I'm not paying $20 for NOTHING.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Well, that is not what I am finding at all. I turned off Malwarebytes and Avast and am getting the sane exact message:
    Have you tried installing in safe mode?

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Have you tried installing in safe mode?
    Why would I have to install ANY program in safe mode? Is this program meant to be compatible with Windows 7 Home Premium? If so, I should be able to install it just like any other program. I reinstalled my previous version just fine.
    If your installer has a problem that would require me to have to install it in safe mode, then I don't want it and will be expecting a $20 refund.

Administrator

The installer used to install dBpoweramp has been used on around 30 million computers. The operation of copying a file from the install to your HDD is as simple as it gets, there is no special configuration, however it is possible to have a system where other things stop this simple operation. There is nothing the installer can do to get around this block.

The suggestion to try safe mode to install is a good one, safe mode only loads the minimum of programs and drivers to get windows started.

BTW the same installer is used for R12...

dBpoweramp Guru

Why would I have to install ANY program in safe mode? Is this program meant to be compatible with Windows 7 Home Premium? If so, I should be able to install it just like any other program. I reinstalled my previous version just fine.
    If your installer has a problem that would require me to have to install it in safe mode, then I don't want it and will be expecting a $20 refund.
    It is not my installer. The installer is working fine for many, many users, so it's a case of troubleshooting, hence the questions I asked here in post no. 6:
    dBpoweramp Reference R16.4 display error messages at installation

If you can't install in Safe Mode, you either have a problem with your system, or the downloaded install file. If you can install in Safe Mode, then you probably have an issue with your installed 3rd party software, hence Spoon's post no. 2, in this thread.
    Last edited by mville; 04-23-2018 at 06:41 AM. Reason: More info

Administrator

>If you can't install in Safe Mode, you either have a problem with your system, or the downloaded install file

It cannot be the installer download, before running the installer self checks byte for byte, if the installer is not complete, or corrupted then it will not run, this error is shown near the end of the install.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    >If you can't install in Safe Mode, you either have a problem with your system, or the downloaded install file

It cannot be the installer download, before running the installer self checks byte for byte, if the installer is not complete, or corrupted then it will not run, this error is shown near the end of the install.
    Well, your advice proved to be solid. I was able to install the program in Safe Mode. After I restarted the system and ran the program, I realized that I needed the Tag from Filename codec. I downloaded it and attempted to install it and got the same error message I received when attempting to do a normal install of the program. So back to Safe Mode where I was able to install it. Now I just need to figure out what on earth is causing this issue. I've tried all kinds of scans and troubleshooters and have not come up with anything unusual. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
    One thing I was disappointed in with the new version of the program is the lack of a Shorten decoder for the 64 bit version. It's something that I would rarely use, but actually just had one of those rare occasions last week. Would be great if you could get one to work with the 64 bit architecture. The new version of the program is quite an improvement over my good old version 12.4.
    Cheers

dBpoweramp Guru

Well, your advice proved to be solid. I was able to install the program in Safe Mode. After I restarted the system and ran the program, I realized that I needed the Tag from Filename codec. I downloaded it and attempted to install it and got the same error message I received when attempting to do a normal install of the program. So back to Safe Mode where I was able to install it. Now I just need to figure out what on earth is causing this issue. I've tried all kinds of scans and troubleshooters and have not come up with anything unusual. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
    You can use msconfig to disable all non-microsoft services and start-up items, to help you troubleshoot the issue, similar to running in safe mode.

I would start by disabling all anti-virus and security software related services and startup items and see if the Illustrate software installs ok.

... how did you turn off Malwarebytes and Avast in post no. 4?
    Last edited by mville; 04-25-2018 at 03:08 AM. Reason: extra question