title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Editing the genre pull-down menu

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Editing the genre pull-down menu

When I go to %Userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\dBpoweramp on the internet and look at the .txt file I can edit the default list as I want and everything looks fine; however when I click on the pull-down menu at Genre in dbpa the list of genre that drops down has three blank spaces at the top before the list starts (otherwise it's just the way I edited it). How do I get rid of those three blank lines?

Thank you,
    dbarnby

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Editing the genre pull-down menu

The genres file is a local file, not one on the internet. You have to paste the path %Userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\dBpoweramp in the file explorer, not the internet explorer. Which editor do you use? Delete blank lines (maybe at the end if the file).

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I don't understand why you keep using Internet Explorer to access this file. On Sunday in your other thread I provided instructions on how to use Notepad to check and edit the file, if needed. Have you tried those instructions?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Don,
    I noticed that the default genres.txt file is in random order, and when you use the dropdown in CD Ripper, the list is in alphabetical order. Therefore some processing most be done to the file before it is displayed. I did some experiments, and found that when I had blank lines at the end of the list I could recreate your problem. Look at your genres.txt file and make sure there are no blank lines at the end of the list. Hopefully that is causing the problem.

Gary

GaryG45 -- Do these instructions, along with those in your post in "set up for ripping" *340, still apply for the most recent version of CD Ripper? It is unfortunate that it is so cumbersome to edit the drop down menu. Many of us have our own tags. I have been copying and pasting that each time I rip a CD, but it is a pain, so I will try to edit the text file myself.

Many thanks for your response.

dBpoweramp Guru

And even editing a textfile seems to be so cumbersome, that you prefer to write a post in a two year old thread to just try the described soultion.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Allan M - This was a test I performed for Don, who was struggling with how to organize his music and how to use dbpa. After I received no reply from Don I went back to the default list. My workflow was to rip the CD with dbpa and later use Mp3tag to add tags using a web source that obtained information from Discogs. If I wanted to make a change to the genre, I would do it while in the Mp3tag phase of processing. My guess is that it works the same but you'll have to test for yourself.

Regarding post *340 in "Set Up For Ripping", that is mville's reply and there was a lot of information in the reply. Is there a particular part of the reply you are interested in? I have done very little ripping since these posts and my version of dbpa is 16.6. If you do have specific questions about *340, it would be best to start your own thread because it seemed like we went around in circles many times in "Setting Up For Ripping".

Gary

I posted in a two year old thread because this was the most recent post I found on the topic. So it seemed reasonable to find out if anything has changed.

Gary,thanks very much for your response. It seemed sensible to ask the experts before tampering with the files that drive the program.

The sarcasm of Dat Ei was unnecessary. A real jerk. If that is what qualifies as a guru in this forum, I am using the wrong program and posting in the wrong forum. If you aren't responding to the question, why bother to take the time to post at all?