title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How best to load JUST newly ripped albums into Batch Converter?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

How best to load JUST newly ripped albums into Batch Converter?

Hi all

Following on from this thread:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...t-doesn-t-pass

I am going to untick "Verify Written Audio" and instead I will periodically load my newest rips into Batch Converter, and then run them through the Test Conversion to make sure all is well with the files.

Does anyone have any tips about how best to select the newest album rips for this purpose?

I tried selecting some albums in Explorer and right-clicking to load/select them in Batch Converter, but the trouble is that because my directory has Artist folders, all of the albums from the artists are loaded rather than just the newly ripped ones.

Another thing... There seems to be a limit to how much I can select in Explorer. If I select too much, the Batch Converter (and for that matter the Edit ID Tags) options disappear when I right click. Is this normal?

Many thanks

Administrator

Re: How best to load JUST newly ripped albums into Batch Converter?

Windows hides the options if too many files are selected.

Your corruption test, a SSD drive or HDD can corrupt at any time, so it makes no sense to only test the newest files, the old files could corrupt just as much as the new files. If it were me, I would run, once a year a test conversion, because having one corrupt file in the library is not really such a disaster (re-rip).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

That explains things RE Windows and why the option disappeared...

So the corruption test just tests whether the files are corrupting due to hard drive failure? Is that it? If not, what else does it test for?

I was planning to use it in place of the FLAC "Verify Written Audio" option, due to the problems I was having with that (see link in first post). I imagined it would give me an extra level of security that my rips were 100% fine... An extra check so to speak. But maybe I've misunderstood what purpose it serves?

Future re-ripping is not an option as I am selling the CDs...

Cheers

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
    So the corruption test just tests whether the files are corrupting due to hard drive failure? Is that it? If not, what else does it test for?
    File corruption can occur for several reasons, not just hard disk problems e.g. software bugs, memory failures etc. Spoon's advice is sound.

Future re-ripping is not an option as I am selling the CDs...
    That's your choice of course, but personally I keep my CDs as an extra backup source... just in case

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    That's your choice of course, but personally I keep my CDs as an extra backup source... just in case
    And if you're in the United States, for example, once you no longer own the CDs, my understanding from those that understand the law better than me is that you're no longer legally allowed to keep digital copies of the CDs. Not that the FBI or local police are going to show up at your house to check, but ...

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I'm in the UK. Not exactly sure what the rules are here, but at the end of the day I don't think I am alone. And far worse crimes are committed (not by me I hasten to add )

So I think I'll take the advice and run the Test Conversion on the entire library (as well as the back ups) once in a while.

Incidentally, I have got three tracks that say: "Error converting to Test Conversion...........Error decoding mp3 data stream, is corrupt?" On playback they sound fine. So is it ok to keep them? Or could they lead to problems in other ways?

Many thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

I'm in the UK. Not exactly sure what the rules are here, but at the end of the day I don't think I am alone. And far worse crimes are committed (not by me I hasten to add )

So I think I'll take the advice and run the Test Conversion on the entire library (as well as the back ups) once in a while.

Incidentally, I have got three tracks that say: "Error converting to Test Conversion...........Error decoding mp3 data stream, is corrupt?" On playback they sound fine. So is it ok to keep them? Or could they lead to problems in other ways?

Many thanks
    I've had a few of those mp3 errors reported before. I simply opened these in foobar2000 and right clicked, selected "utilities' and ran both the rewrite lame header and the "rebuild mp3 stream" on those files and then TEST CONVERSION didn't report errors.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I've had a few of those mp3 errors reported before. I simply opened these in foobar2000 and right clicked, selected "utilities' and ran both the rewrite lame header and the "rebuild mp3 stream" on those files and then TEST CONVERSION didn't report errors.
    Fantastic! Didn't even know that these options were available I'll give that a go. Many thanks for the heads up.

dBpoweramp Guru

Fantastic! Didn't even know that these options were available I'll give that a go. Many thanks for the heads up.
    can't recall, but you may need to install this foobar2000 component:
    http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php...9/foo_verifier

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I'm guessing not because I just went ahead and did it straight away and the tracks are now passing the Test Conversion without issue Very helpful indeed. Thanks Gary.