title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Need Tips on Configuring Home Network for Play-Fi/UPnP

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chipgallo
    • Mar 2018

Need Tips on Configuring Home Network for Play-Fi/UPnP

Hello -- I installed the trial of Asset on a MacBook Air and plugged it into a Netgear switch (GS108) in the lower level (using USB to Ethernet adapter). This switch is connected via wire to a Netgear WNDR3700 Wi-Fi router on the 1st floor. There is an Anthem MRX 720 receiver on the first floor (wire connected by a 2nd GS108 8-port switch that uses an Ethernet-over-AC adapter to connect to the router) that I control with an Apple tablet (running against the Wi-Fi network on the router) running Play-Fi. The Play-Fi app cannot browse the Asset UPnP files. The same tablet running VLC does see the Asset files.

There is also a Paradigm Play-Fi enabled PW 600 speaker plugged directly into the lower level switch, same one as the MacBook Air. Running it via the Play-Fi app on tablet, it cannot see or browse the Asset files.

I checked that RIP tagging is enabled on the router. Using web management to view the devices connected to the 1st floor router, I see the PW 600 as attached. Have not identified the MRX 720 by IP address but other network functions work so presumably it is functional on the network.

Looking for troubleshooting tips. It seems to be a protocol level issue with the Play-Fi as VLC is finding the Asset service from several computers.

thanks,
    Chip
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Need Tips on Configuring Home Network for Play-Fi/UPnP

Is the Paradigm Play-Fi app and/or PW 600 speaker, upnp/dlna compatible?

Have you talked to Paradigm for advice?
    Last edited by mville; 04-03-2018, 01:26 PM. Reason: added extra question

Comment

• chipgallo
      • Mar 2018

Mville -- the PW 600 is "Play-Fi compatible" which in turn is UPnP/dlna compatible. Still reading up on the flow but I believe the issue lies with the Play-Fi app and how the tablet sees the network. One can select the PW 600 from within the Play-Fi app but not find the Asset server to select files and play.

After I read this tutorial (https://www.computeraudiophile.com/c...network-audio/), I want to contact DTS/Play-Fi support first.

Comment

• chipgallo
        • Mar 2018

Back after reading the tutorial (they had nice things to say about Asset) and an e-mail exchange with DTS Play-Fi:

"If the iPad can see the files via VLC, then it should be able to see them in the Play-Fi app as well. Perhaps our app just needs to be refreshed. If you completely close the app from the iPad system, or restart the iPad, this should give the app a chance to refresh and handshake again with the server.

In some cases the server itself (or router) may need to be restarted in order to refresh the broadcast service, which announces the server to devices that have not already connected."

I thought I had already done these suggestions but will step through methodically. Later.

Comment

• axbyfz
          • Oct 2017

Hello -chipgallo- good afternoon. I have just read your thread 2 minutes ago. Any conclusion yet? I am writing right now a similar topic for the dBpoweramp community. In my case and after some e-mail interchange with Play-Fi support people, they think the tagging is responsible. Let me explain briefly:

01. Play-Fi (Klipsch) system.
          02. 1 Luxul Router and AP: XWR-3150.
          03. 2 Luxul AP: XAP-1510.
          04. 1 Music Server configured with Buffalo NAS LinkStation LS220D0202.
          05. 1 MacBook Pro to access iTunes (mandatory because of iPhones, iPads and iPod Touch) built complete (metadata and music files) at the shared folder on the NAS.

The problem: Play-Fi system can see and play the songs (AIFF files) but without most of the metadata, just the name of the song; no Artist Name, no Album Name, no Cover Art, no Playlists.
          After many experimentation, I decided to make a final test: I downloaded, straight from iTunes, 5 CDs each at a different file format and look at them through the Play-Fi system.

Results:

a. MP3: Song Name, yes; Artist Name, yes; Album Name, yes; Cover Art, yes; Playlists, no.

b. ACC: Song Name, yes; Artist Name, yes; Album Name, yes; Cover Art, no; Playlists, no.

c. Apple Lossless: Song Name, yes; Artist Name, yes; Album Name, yes; Cover Art, no; Playlists, no.

d. WAV: Song Name, yes; Artist Name, no; Album Name, no; Cover Art, no; Playlists, no.

e. AIFF: Song Name, yes; Artist Name, no; Album Name, no; Cover Art, no; Playlists, no.

That is why the tagging possibility makes sense, do you agree?
          What I will try, right now, with dBpoweramp community help, is try to figure it out a special kind of tagging and ripping from dBpoweramp to the Automatically Add to iTunes folder in order to keep AIFF files on iTunes view able and useful on Play-Fi.

Respectfully:

Alejandro
          Last edited by axbyfz; 04-14-2018, 09:04 PM.

Comment

• chipgallo
            • Mar 2018

I am more inclined to point the finger at Play-Fi or a combination of it and the router. Considering a router upgrade to a Pepwave Surf SOHO and if it works after the change, things will be great.

Comment

• mville
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by chipgallo
              I am more inclined to point the finger at Play-Fi or a combination of it and the router. Considering a router upgrade to a Pepwave Surf SOHO and if it works after the change, things will be great.
              I thought VLC can access Asset over the network, so how can it be the router?

Comment

• chipgallo
                • Mar 2018

Originally posted by mville
                I thought VLC can access Asset over the network, so how can it be the router?
                Asset works with Play-Fi after upgrading to the Surf SOHO. Go figure. I do not have the type of protocol monitoring/analysis software to understand why.

Comment

Working...

]]>