title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Adding ripped AIFF folders into I-Tunes not bringing in metadata

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HiFi4evr
    • Mar 2016

Adding ripped AIFF folders into I-Tunes not bringing in metadata

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am replacing many of my cd's I ripped into itunes from 10 years ago using itunes ripping methods at low quality (encoded with iTunes versions MPEG Audio anywhere from 192 kbps to 320 aac files). I then started experimenting with dbpa free version to rip into AIFF at 1411 kbps. When I "add folder to library" of itunes it is missing most of what iTunes used to have listed in metadata such as who the band members were that contributed to the creation of the album. I made sure I had composer checkmarked in dbpa and the default parameters are intact for naming convention and tags. Am I missing getting all of that extra data such as who the band members are that contributed to each song, etc. because I don't have the paid version or is it because iTunes doesn't support showing that information in their past and latest version of iTunes? I'm kind of stuck using AIFF now as I've ripped hundreds of my cd's already. I could switch to a different player if necessary but I do like iTunes and is all I currently know for a player.
    Thanks for any imput on why I'm missing all the extra data.
    Examples would be Adrian Belew/King Crimson is missing from King Crimson album or with Dandy Warhols it doesn't show Courtney Taylor-Taylor in the Composer area. For Air it's missing Hirsch, Beth under composer for album Moon Safari. Last example is Third Eye Blind for How's it going to be shows Stephan Jenkins, Kevin Cadogan for composer when ripped to itunes yet is blank with dbpa added folder after ripping to AIFF.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Adding ripped AIFF folders into I-Tunes not bringing in metadata

It is likely iTunes will not read this information from files, only store it internally when ripping its self.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Dat Ei
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Feb 2014

Couldn't it be that problem, that iTunes does not handle multitags? Personally I don't have experiences with AIFF.

Dat Ei

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Dat Ei
        Couldn't it be that problem, that iTunes does not handle multitags? Personally I don't have experiences with AIFF.

Dat Ei
        I suspect it is the multitag issue. Itunes will correctly import metadata from tags IN GENERAL. But I've read that it doesn't handle multivalue tags. (sorry, no experience with AIFF either).

Comment

• HiFi4evr
          • Mar 2016

Thank you. I'll eventually switch to a different player and hope that the composer shows up. Is there a better file format I should have used for i-Tunes? I wasn't confident with the built in AAC format would be as good as AIFF or FLAC yet FLAC won't work with iTunes from what I understand.

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by HiFi4evr
            Thank you. I'll eventually switch to a different player and hope that the composer shows up. Is there a better file format I should have used for i-Tunes? I wasn't confident with the built in AAC format would be as good as AIFF or FLAC yet FLAC won't work with iTunes from what I understand.
            Yep, FLAC won't work in itunes. If I wanted itunes lossless files I would have likely used ALAC (apple lossless) as it handles tagging a bit better. But as far as I know (only based on what I've read), itunes doesn't deal well with multi-value tags. So ALAC wouldn't have likely helped in your situation. If you use Windows, you should consider foobar2000 as a player. It handles every kind of file and is very flexible. A bit of a learning curve to customize, but worth it. See:

download from here:

Comment

Working...

]]>