title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: dbPoweramp contains DRM

Thumbs down dbPoweramp contains DRM

Why can I not rip CDs on my own computer just because your webserver falls over? It's bad enough that you're not competent enough to keep a webserver up and running but as it seems to be critical for the use of the software you "sell" then maybe you should have some redundancy. This also means that when you go out of business, all your "customers" will lose the use of their software.

How do I get a refund for this unfit for purpose software?

Administrator

Re: dbPoweramp contains DRM

It is not falling over, this server in question has been up for 246 days without interruption, we take down for 30 minutes to check the hardware...our uptime (over the past 5 years) is much better than Amazon, or Microsoft's cloud.

However dBpoweramp does not require our servers to be online, AccurateRip will be down, so obviously cannot complete (for dBpoweramp or any secure ripper which relies on it), if you leave the software for 2 minutes it will continue, without Accuraterip and Discogs (which needs to first lookup on our servers to get the artist and album name).

I would be happy to refund if you are unsatisfied with such down time (it equates to a 99.992% uptime in last 3 quarters, over a longer period, perhaps 3 years it is much higher).

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa View Post
    Why can I not rip CDs on my own computer just because your webserver falls over? It's bad enough that you're not competent enough to keep a webserver up and running but as it seems to be critical for the use of the software you "sell" then maybe you should have some redundancy. This also means that when you go out of business, all your "customers" will lose the use of their software.
    Can't say I have ever encountered a single issue in this regard.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    It is not falling over, this server in question has been up for 246 days without interruption, we take down for 30 minutes to check the hardware...our uptime (over the past 5 years) is much better than Amazon, or Microsoft's cloud.

However dBpoweramp does not require our servers to be online, AccurateRip will be down, so obviously cannot complete (for dBpoweramp or any secure ripper which relies on it), if you leave the software for 2 minutes it will continue, without Accuraterip and Discogs (which needs to first lookup on our servers to get the artist and album name).

I would be happy to refund if you are unsatisfied with such down time (it equates to a 99.992% uptime in last 3 quarters, over a longer period, perhaps 3 years it is much higher).
    What, not five nines? /s Just kidding, four nines is pretty good. If you actually have five nines then you are doing very well. I'm curious, what operating system do you have it running on?

dBpoweramp Guru

Interesting. I've ripped several thousand CDs and been using dbpa for many years. I can't recall ever seeing a server down period.

Administrator

They are all Hyper-V, on a seriously overspecced server, so a reboot of the web portion is back on-line in 15 seconds after OS update.

We run 12 core servers, 256GB memory, 5TB of the fastest SSD (intel DC series) in Raid 6, and we have 4 servers, interconnected with 10GBe, all identical, one of the servers is capable of running all dBpoweramp, hydrogenaudio, foobar, perfecttunes and accuraterip, however we split over 2 servers and backup once a day to 3rd server which then offsites the backup to Amazon glacier. The 4th server is there as a cold backup (incase of a power surge). Each server is protected by it's own hardware firewall.

Our downtime in this instance (of 30 minutes) was pre-planned, we wanted to:

a) check server over quickly
    b) recombine a miss-behaving Hyper-v virtual machine (previously during a backup the server had a hardware glitch (this server was retired some 9 months ago, we have a rule any single hardware glitch and the server is broken up and replaced by a new server, the previous glitch was a single ECC error, the replacement server, all new supermicro chasis, it lasted 2 weeks! and a faulty backplane brought it down, it was replaced, the replacement had a faulty SSD drive appear within 2 weeks, so plenty of hardware issues going on...), this left a differencing virtual drive which would not combine under normal operating, so was a manual merge and export of virtual machine which was powered down, to remove the differencing drive). We could have done the task in 10 minutes (the virtual machine is 300GB), however I wanted to take a cold backup just incase, get this wrong and the downtime would have been much longer.
    Last edited by Spoon; 03-26-2018 at 05:45 PM.

Administrator

almost forgot, we monitor our servers 24/7 from MS Azure, any server issues and I get an SMS around 60 seconds later, and get a detailed server report emailed once a day on the health, especially raid status (with Raid 6 we would have to have 3 SSDs fail out of 8 to lose the array).

We offsite backup around 25GB of difference data once a day offsite, once a month a complete fresh backup goes offsite, backups are held for 1 year.

Who knows, perhaps "you're not competent enough to keep a webserver up", but I would not change the design for anything else right now, and $$$ is not a factor when it comes to the servers (each server retails for around $15,000 and we have 4 of those, we have 3x redundancy on the servers).

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks for the summary of how things work on your end Spoon. As expected, a *very* professional, efficient, and effective setup.