title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Correct time [length] of a track

Correct time [length] of a track

In ripping an album I found that track 5 was listed as 1:34 and track 6 was listed as 8:24 in the metadata. The correct times should be track 5 4:34 and track 6 5:24. I didn't notice this and ripped the album. On playback track 5 would end in 1:34 only part way through the song. Track 6 when played would begin where track 5 left off finishing the song and playing what should be track 6 till completion. 3 minutes of track 5 are playing on track 6. Can I correct this. The metadata is wrong and I an unaware of how to correct it. I have deleted the album and band name and turned off my computer to clear any cache. When I insert the cd it still comes up with the wrong times on the tracks. Thanks in advance

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Correct time [length] of a track

CD Ripper doesn't use metadata to determine the track lengths.

The CD may have been incorrectly engineered. If you play it, does the displayed track number change to from 5 to 6 after 1:34 of track 5?

dBpoweramp Guru

Oh, a common issue with my Caribbean CDs. Often not that blatant, a second of a track at the end or beginning of another track where it doesn't belong. Rip as One is your savior there. You can "futz" with the settings for rip as one to rip each track correctly, or rip the whole CD as one and use an editor program like Audacity to break up the tracks correctly.

Jailhouse At 1:34 of track 5 it switches to track 6 and keeps playing the song. The song plays in track 6 till it ends then there is a slight pause and the next song plays continuing in track 6 till track 6 ends.

dBpoweramp Guru

Then CD Ripper correctly ripped a badly engineered CD.

An alternative to schmidj's Rip as One suggestion in Post 3 is to open the affected tracks in Audacity or another audio editor, cut out the part of track 6 which doesn't belong there and append it to the end of the truncated track 5. This method works well for me (using Sound Forge).