title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Echo in mp3 created from CD with multi encoder on Win10 PC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nesko
    • Mar 2018

Echo in mp3 created from CD with multi encoder on Win10 PC

I am a new user and am posting this record of my use of multi encoder for all to learn from, and to ask a question of your community.

I bought dBpoweramp to convert all my old music CD's to Flac and mp3 format. My computer system is a PC using Win 10. Just used the Rip CD mode with standard settings for the multi encode function. Made no changes. The Flac files seem good, but the mp3 files have a pronounced echo. The song starts then a few seconds later seems to start again with the iterations of the song playing over one another making the mp3 unusable. My first thought was that there was a problem with the settings but I looked closer and found the following.

After I ripped the first few CD's and noticed this was a common issue not just a bad CD or old format problem, I realized I was listening to the playback of these MP3 files to check them on the same win10 pc that I created them on. I have never been a big fan of any microsoft products so to just to be safe and open minded about what I was hearing, I put the files on my NAS for distribution to my home network. I then listened to the same "bad" MP3 files with my Yamaha Stereo system. And Guess What? They sounded great, almost as good as the Flac versions!!!
    I even tried listening to some real old CD to mp3 conversions I did over a decade ago with nero with the Win 10 PC and they had a very similar but less evident Echo also.

So I Immediately thought WTF is wrong with microsoft's media player. Did a little search on this site and found an obscure thread about changing the microsoft codex in the windows registry to match those more current and better codex used in dBpoweramp. I found the thread a little bit lacking in exact and precise syntax and verbage to feel comfortable screwing with the registry, though.

My Question to the community is this. Is there a better music player I should consider for my PC that will always have the latest codex? Or can someone who knows create a cleaner version of the process of changing the windows registry codex, so a newby like me can't screw up the registry making the changes. And if I make that change in registry, will it need to be updated in the future?

Thanks so much for a great product, and the help of the community. Hope this post is helpful for others so you don't think there is something wrong with you or dBpoweramp.
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Echo in mp3 created from CD with multi encoder on Win10 PC

foobar2000 is the answer. That's what I use on my Windows machines. Popular with dbpa users too!

Comment

• Nesko
      • Mar 2018

Thanks I will take a good look.

Comment

• Nesko
        • Mar 2018

Just want to thank garym and other forum contributors With this update for all.
        Foobar worked great!!
        Also, here is the link to a sticky about changing the registry to replace Windows 10 .mp3 .flac .wav and .m4a codecs entry's so that dBpoweramp codecs are used instead.
        I had some time and tried that too, and it also works great! Now all the .mp3's work fine with windows media player too.

Comment

• Nesko
          • Mar 2018

Just want to update the solutions that do work.
          1. Foobar works fine, thanks garym
          2. The information in the Thread: Replacing Windows 10 (or newer) system codec property handlers with dBpoweramp's for changing the Win 10 registry so that it used the codecs in dBpoweramp work also. And it was way easier than I had anticipated. Just need to disable a few of the microsoft codecs by renaming them so dBpoweramp takes over.

Thanks to everyone and hope this is helpful to others, especially newbies like me.
          Last edited by Nesko; 03-22-2018, 01:30 AM.

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Great. You are welcome.

Comment

Working...

]]>