title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Artist and Album handling Smart Mode

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jsaudio
    • Feb 2017

Artist and Album handling Smart Mode

Im using Asset/QNAP with the Naim App. I also have Yate installed on my Mac.
    Struggling with tagging. I have Asset set to Smart Mode but all "The" Artists sort under T. If I change the artist to say Beach Boys or Beach Boys,The manually with Yate then it will sort under B but when I'm playing the album it won't show me other albums via Tidal because it has be The Beach Boys. So I need it to do what Smart mode was meant to do but doesn't seem to be working. I'm obviously doing something wrong or have a wrong setting.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Artist and Album handling Smart Mode

You might have 'Artist Sort' tags in the files.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jsaudio
      • Feb 2017

Thanks for the reply Spoon,but Im not sure I know what that means

Comment

• Dat Ei
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Feb 2014

There can be two different tags in an Audio file:

1.) Artist tag

This is the one which is usually used to display the name of the artist. In your example it could be "The Beach Boys".

2.) Artist sort tag

This tag can be used be players to sort the artists and it can be different to the artist tag. In your example it could be "Beach Boys, The", to find this artist under "B".

So please have a look at your audio files and their tagging.

Dat Ei

Comment

• jsaudio
          • Feb 2017

Does that mean that I shouldn't have any sort tags on any albums in order for Smart mode to work as it should and let the artist still be The Beach Boys but sorted under "B" ?

Comment

• Dat Ei
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Feb 2014

Sorry, I don't use Asset, but why don't you do just a quick test? Check if that album has "artist sort tags". If not, just add those tags and see what happens after a rescan.

Dat Ei

Comment

• mville
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by jsaudio
              Does that mean that I shouldn't have any sort tags on any albums in order for Smart mode to work as it should and let the artist still be The Beach Boys but sorted under "B" ?
              Probably. If your tags are not consistent, you will get unpredictable results. Either, use sort tags or do not use them at all. Personally, I do NOT use Smart mode and use sort tags. This works well in Asset and the sort tags are also available for other server/player software.

Comment

Working...

]]>