title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Output FLAC file only 47 KB instead of 50MB

Output FLAC file only 47 KB instead of 50MB

I am trying to rip my favourite CD (Star Wars) but somehow the files end up with only 47KB and no music content . Is This a DRM issue ? It converted perfectly within iTunes ...

Just length 0 file ...

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Output FLAC file only 47 KB instead of 50MB

dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Grass Valley / Nevada City, California USA

There was a known issue with the FLAC codec when used with certain AMD-based PCs. Has this problem been resolved? If so, which version of the FLAC codec ((and presumably those beyond that version) are free of this defect. Some months ago, I installed a newer version of dBpoweramp but found that the encoding of FLAC files was corrupt, similar to what is described above.

The problem occurs when used with HP xw9400 workstations with AMD dual core processors.Is this still the case?

Since then, we've stayed with an earlier version.

Dennis, aka "d2b"

dBpoweramp Guru

Did you follow mville's link, Dennis? There is a beta version of the flac libs only.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Spoon's posting that mville referred to was added on January 9th, over two months ago. I'm still wondering when and if the *beta* version of the FLAC codec will ever be released. In the meantime, I'm not anxious to condone the use of a codec that has not been proven to be accurate in all respects.

For that reason, we're sticking with dBpoweramp v.16.2 and FLAC 1.3.1 until a proper FLAC codec is fully tested and released. We are not about to replace our HP xw9400 workstations with AMD dual-core processors because of this.

Maybe Spoon can pressure the FLAC support team to finish the job.

Dennis, aka "d2b"

Administrator

We have no leverage over the FLAC team, if they want to leave 1.3.2 as the current release with a MAJOR bug for 2 years, that is indicative of their priorities.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I can believe that they haven't taken it seriously and given any priority to fixing the defective code&*8212;assuming they know there's a problem. I'm on the receiving end (not a contributor) to the FLAC team development thread, but I've not seen any mention of the "AMD bug".

But that leads me to wonder who did develop the beta version and whether or not it was fully tested as a lossless codec. It also makes me wonder if the FLAC team is even aware of the problem and the existence of a beta version that addresses the issue. Did they create it?

Dennis, aka "d2b"

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi,

Possible to use DBP v 16.4 with FLAC 1.3.1 ?

Administrator

The FLAC team created a correction to the a short while after 1.3.2 was released, they are fully aware.

We do not supply 1.3.1 with R16.4, as the 1.3.3 beta seems to be fully functional with no issues.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

What version of the FLAC codec is supplied with dBpoweramp v.16.4. Surely you aren't continuing to deliver FLAC 1.3.2?

Dennis, aka "d2b"

Administrator

1.3.2 is supplied with R16.4, if we go back to 1.3.1 we have a boat load of msgs on here about when we are to update to the latest. The 1.3.3 cannot be supplied as it is beta code.

Lets be clear, the failure of 1.3.2 is specific, it miss-detects certain older amd cpus and tries to use instructions that the CPU does not support, there is no random failing of FLAC, it either works 100% of the time, or 0%