title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Maximum SQ from a CD? 44.1/16? or ???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Maximum SQ from a CD? 44.1/16? or ???

Hello everyone!

So i know it's absolutely dependent on source quality... And some music seems to lend itself better to a more spacious soundstage (totally digging Miles Davis Kind of Blue at 192/24!).

What i'm unsure of is - using kind of blue as a reference - is it the album or the 192/24? Since purchased from HDtracks i'm not sure if this was from a CD or DVD audio?

So if i want to re-rip some CD's and don't mind the extra space of the FLAC vs mp3's - what's the max bitrate i should aim for? And on even a remastered CD is 44.1/16 about the limit?

Lots of newbie questions! Appreciate the info or pointing me to do more reading (i did search but am obviously missing something).

Thanks!

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Maximum SQ from a CD? 44.1/16? or ???

The audio format of an Audio CD is wav with 44.1 kHz sampling rate and 16 bit resolution per channel. To rip a CD means that you read out that data digitally.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    The audio format of an Audio CD is wav with 44.1 kHz sampling rate and 16 bit resolution per channel. To rip a CD means that you read out that data digitally.

Dat Ei
    And if you're ripping a CD, the best you can do is create 44.1/16 digital files. All CDs are redbook 44.1/16. One *can* force an upsampling but this would be silly. It doesn't add any audio content but just makes the file larger. Essentially it adds a bunch of zeros (not exactly the same, but think about whether you want to represent a number as 1.000 vs 1.00000000000. This does nothing but take up more space.

On the other hand, the files you purchase from HDTracks are likely hi-res files that are not redbook CD files. They are 96/24 or 192/24. (although I assume hdtracks sometimes will sell 44.1/16 files. They should be telling you this at time of purchase.

dBpoweramp Guru

Lightbulb Re: Maximum SQ from a CD? 44.1/16? or ???

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the forum!

I use 'Quobuz', but I did consider 'HD Tracks' (alongside a couple of others) initially.

This, of my threads, may or may not be of use to you (in case you did not notice it):

You may be able to glean some information from here ...

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-07-2018 at 08:07 AM. Reason: LINK

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Before starting to spend big bucks on HD audio, you should take a sound test to see if you can actually hear the difference. CD audio is already better than what you can theoretically hear, so buying HD audio may be a waste of money if you can't hear the difference.

Mike

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post
    Before starting to spend big bucks on HD audio, you should take a sound test to see if you can actually hear the difference. CD audio is already better than what you can theoretically hear, so buying HD audio may be a waste of money if you can't hear the difference.
    Hi Mike,

I found the listening experience of hearing Miles Davis in 24-bit/96.00 kHz to be positively astounding!:

However, the only album I have ever purchased (as a d/l) is Miles's (16-Bit CD quality):

... which just sounds like an exact replicate of the original (ie. the non-complete sessions) hard-copy CD version I own.

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-07-2018 at 11:17 AM. Reason: LINK