title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: "click/glitch" sound between tracks on gapless playback

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

"click/glitch" sound between tracks on gapless playback

Hi all,

Getting a very subtle, but very audible, click/glitch sound between some gapless tracks. Not all tracks, not even all CDs - just some. Many gapless albums ripped as AIFF and converted to MP3 play just fine, but a few albums I've ripped then converted to MP3 have this audible glitch between tracks that was never apparent when I previously ripped to MP3 with iTunes (the CD sounds fine, gapless with no clicks/glitches).

FYI, I'm playing back my newly ripped and converted albums through my the default music app (synched to iTunes) on iPhone 6s, iOS version 11.2.6.

Any explanation and/or fix? Lots of threads about silence between tracks, but this is regarding an audible click/glitch sound between tracks.

Thanks!

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: "click/glitch" sound between tracks on gapless playback

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessMission View Post
    Hi all,

Getting a very subtle, but very audible, click/glitch sound between some gapless tracks. Not all tracks, not even all CDs - just some. Many gapless albums ripped as AIFF and converted to MP3 play just fine, but a few albums I've ripped then converted to MP3 have this audible glitch between tracks that was never apparent when I previously ripped to MP3 with iTunes (the CD sounds fine, gapless with no clicks/glitches).

FYI, I'm playing back my newly ripped and converted albums through my the default music app (synched to iTunes) on iPhone 6s, iOS version 11.2.6.

Any explanation and/or fix? Lots of threads about silence between tracks, but this is regarding an audible click/glitch sound between tracks.

Thanks!
    I assume there are no clicks when playing the AIFF files. Do you have Soundcheck values added to the mp3 files. And if so, did you use "track" soundcheck/replaygain values? My guess is that you have track-level soundcheck values added to the tracks of the gapless album and when it changes from one track to the next you are probably hearing the tiny change in volume (which may sound like a "glitch"). Test this by going into option on your iphone player and turning OFF the option that uses the Soundcheck values on playback.

EDIT: Also, try converting to mp3 and on the ReplayGain DSP, choose the "add album and track RG plus ALBUM soundcheck value. Then playing back an mp3 album with gapless should use ALBUM level soundcheck (and you wouldn't have the glitches, If I'm correct about the cause).
    Last edited by garym; 03-05-2018 at 04:12 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks, garym. Sound Check on my iPhone is, and has always been, toggled "off." I don't like using any volume check or normalization for playback because it tends to make everything a bit quiet by default, and (to my ears) softens the dynamic range of the music - which I don't like. I'm an "album" guy and rarely shuffle songs in my whole library, anyway.

Despite that, I do use some ReplayGain DSP (per a lot of setup recommendations) when ripping to AIFF, but can't recall at the moment which one (I'm at work). I'd read that it wouldn't actually affect the audio (unless sound check in my player was toggled on, which it is not). I'll do a little troubleshooting when I get home tonight and will report back.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks, garym. Sound Check on my iPhone is, and has always been, toggled "off." I don't like using any volume check or normalization for playback because it tends to make everything a bit quiet by default, and (to my ears) softens the dynamic range of the music - which I don't like. I'm an "album" guy and rarely shuffle songs in my whole library, anyway.

Despite that, I do use some ReplayGain DSP (per a lot of setup recommendations) when ripping to AIFF, but can't recall at the moment which one (I'm at work). I'd read that it wouldn't actually affect the audio (unless sound check in my player was toggled on, which it is not). I'll do a little troubleshooting when I get home tonight and will report back.
    OK. Having the RG tag does nothing to Sound Quality if not used by the player. If "soundcheck" is toggled OFF, then my hypothesis is not correct and it must be something else, unrelated to the RG/Soundcheck tags. Please tell us whether you get the glitches when playing the same AIFF files through the iphone.

dBpoweramp Guru

Can you delete all metadata from the mp3 files and redo the test, please?

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Have you reported the issue to the music app developers?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Update -

Looks like an iOS problem. I was able to play the album (both mp3 and AIFF versions) gapless-ly, without any clicks/glitch noises between tracks, in iTunes on my MacBook Pro. So, I erased the problem album from my iPhone and re-synched with iTunes. Problem solved. No idea what caused that glitch (some sort of file corruption during the synch maybe), but I'll report the issue to Apple.

Thanks all!