title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Is it possible to include [ or ] in a filename?

Question Is it possible to include [ or ] in a filename?

I understand that the filename tags use [ and ] to indicate the tag, ie [artist] or [album artist] or [disc].

I would like my FINAL filename to be: Best of Oldies but Goodies, Volume 1 - 1.04 - Sea Cruise [Erankie Ford]
    I can get this: Best of Oldies but Goodies, Volume 1 - 1.04 - Sea Cruise (Frankie Ford),
    but the closest I can get to what I want is this: Best of Oldies but Goodies, Volume 1 - 1.04 - Sea Cruise [ Frankie Ford ].

I would like to eliminate the spaces. The code I'm using is this: [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[album] - [disc].[track] - [title] [ [artist] ].

Is there some marker I can use to allow [ or ] in the code? And I would Like the first directory level to be either the first initial of the artist or Various Artists. Is that possible?

M => Moody Blues, The=>Long Distance Voyager=>Track1, Track2, etc., OR
    Various Artists=>Long Distance Voyager=>Track1, Track2, etc.

I can do this in MusicBrainz (Picard) but would greatly like to skip that step if possible.

NightMyst
    Last edited by NightMyst; 03-01-2018 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Change subscription preferences.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Is it possible to include [ or ] in a filename?

Quote Originally Posted by NightMyst View Post
    I understand that the filename tags use [ and ] to indicate the tag, ie [artist] or [album artist] or [disc].

I would like my FINAL filename to be: Best of Oldies but Goodies, Volume 1 - 1.04 - Sea Cruise [Erankie Ford]
    I can get this: Best of Oldies but Goodies, Volume 1 - 1.04 - Sea Cruise (Frankie Ford),
    but the closest I can get to what I want is this: Best of Oldies but Goodies, Volume 1 - 1.04 - Sea Cruise [ Frankie Ford ].

I would like to eliminate the spaces. The code I'm using is this: [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[album] - [disc].[track] - [title] [ [artist] ].

Is there some marker I can use to allow [ or ] in the code?
    Why not remove the space after the left square bracket and before the right square bracket? e.g.
    [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[album] - [disc].[track] - [title] [[artist]]

Quote Originally Posted by NightMyst View Post
    And I would Like the first directory level to be either the first initial of the artist or Various Artists. Is that possible?

M => Moody Blues, The=>Long Distance Voyager=>Track1, Track2, etc., OR
    Various Artists=>Long Distance Voyager=>Track1, Track2, etc.

I can do this in MusicBrainz (Picard) but would greatly like to skip that step if possible.
    Based on your current naming string, try this:
    [IFVALUE]album artist,[GRAB]1,1,[album artist][],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][GRAB]1,1,[artist][][][]\[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[album] - [disc].[track] - [title] [[artist]]