title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: OCD and hoarding issues?

  1. #1
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    59

    Unhappy OCD and hoarding issues?

    I figured this might hit a nerve here. Anybody else coming to grips with OCD and hoarding issues they might not have been aware of, prior to using dbpoweramp?

    I'd wager most dbpoweramp users have some level of OCD, if not they'd just rip in the bare minimum iTunes default and be done with it - or, just stream and not think twice about ripping CDs at all. For me, just not getting "accurate" rips, or at the very least "secure" rips, has been making me extremely anxious. Roughly a dozen discs out of 280 I've ripped so far are having problems ripping, and it might literally be driving me insane.

    So, I'm ripping my 2,500 CD collection to AIFF using dbpoweramp because I've finally realized I'm basically hoarding CDs and paying a monthly rental fee to boot, to keep them in a storage unit collecting dust 30 minutes from my house (my new house is tiny and there's literally not an inch of spare storage space). But, I'm really struggling with the inevitability of getting rid of them (either selling, donating, or recycling them). I've decided to allow myself to keep a couple hundred CDs or so for posterity, but now I'm struggling to figure out which ones to keep, and that might literally be driving me insane too.

    Who knew this ripping project would get so emotional. Anybody else?

  2. #2
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,274

    Re: OCD and hoarding issues?

    If I was OCD I would rip to FLAC rather than aiff. Flac has builtin CRC checksum. Consequently one can easily click a mouse a couple of times and run a batch program to test every single file in your collection to determine if any files are corrupted. With dbpa one would convert to TEST CONVERSION. Even though all these files are lossless, AIFF and WAV and ALAC dont have this FLAC feature.

    I run this on all my files ever so often. And after moving a backup archive to a new hard drive, I
    ways do this to confirm no corrupted files.

    I apologize in advance if I have added to your OCD fears.

    p.s. with regard to off site storage, even if free, I have always believed that you should get rid of stuff that wont fit in your home. An exception would be temporary storage for a year or so related to a move or short work reassignment. Anecdotally, every single person I know with a rented storage facility keeps lots of stuff that they never ever use. A friend recently paid a company to clean out his storage (and either trash or give to charity everything in it). And hed been paying monthly rent on this space for over 25 years, never returning a single item back to his house. As we were looking over the place as the workers hauled everything away, he kept saying, why in the world did I bother keeping all this stuff.

    I have a stack on my desk at work where I keep documents, papers, etc that I think I will need later. I go through it every 6 months. And 99.9% of the time I send it to the shredder.
    Last edited by garym; 02-26-2018 at 12:04 PM.

  3. #3
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    627

    Re: OCD and hoarding issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by RecklessMission View Post
    I figured this might hit a nerve here. Anybody else coming to grips with OCD and hoarding issues they might not have been aware of, prior to using dbpoweramp?

    I'd wager most dbpoweramp users have some level of OCD, if not they'd just rip in the bare minimum iTunes default and be done with it - or, just stream and not think twice about ripping CDs at all. For me, just not getting "accurate" rips, or at the very least "secure" rips, has been making me extremely anxious. Roughly a dozen discs out of 280 I've ripped so far are having problems ripping, and it might literally be driving me insane.

    So, I'm ripping my 2,500 CD collection to AIFF using dbpoweramp because I've finally realized I'm basically hoarding CDs and paying a monthly rental fee to boot, to keep them in a storage unit collecting dust 30 minutes from my house (my new house is tiny and there's literally not an inch of spare storage space). But, I'm really struggling with the inevitability of getting rid of them (either selling, donating, or recycling them). I've decided to allow myself to keep a couple hundred CDs or so for posterity, but now I'm struggling to figure out which ones to keep, and that might literally be driving me insane too.

    Who knew this ripping project would get so emotional. Anybody else?
    Having ripped a couple of thousand plus CDs, a number of European from 2000-2006 with various forms of copy protection, if I hadn't tried different drives, I would have had dozens of CDs that wouldn't rip to give AccurateRips. This is now down to somewhere under 2%, and that includes CDs that have one track with a single frame error.

    If OCD means choosing a certain pressing of a CD, naming and tagging it accurately, and then attempting to achieve an AccurateRip on every track, then absolutely, I've got OCD. With streaming you have no control of which version of a song or CD you are hearing.

    I've also got an iPod, ripped using iTunes which many work colleagues can confirm has tracks that skip. Not one of them would call it OCD not wanting to repeat this now I'm ripping my CDs losslessly!

    Caring about what you do is a very good trait, but so is not fighting a lost cause. Some CDs for whatever reasons will not achieve an AccurateRip or Secure on all tracks. A couple of CDs which were important to me, I've replaced; one had bronzed and even the TOC couldn't be read.

    A couple had 1 or 2 frames with errors (a frame is 1/75 sec) and were totally inaudible - I'm living with this "problem"!!

    I now use dBpoweramp's CD Ripper as I don't want the skipping and mutes that I've got on the iPod - that was far more likely to drive me insane. When I hear a skip now I just smile knowing that my "OCD" for using dbpoweramp, trying a different drive, and replacing a damaged CD, means this can't be repeated. When you have a CD with errors, you have a very good idea where they are, so can listen to see if these are a real issue - iTunes doesn't afford that luxury. Do it once, get it right, saves a lot of time and stress.
    Last edited by Oggy; 02-26-2018 at 12:50 PM.

  4. #4
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    59

    Re: OCD and hoarding issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    If I was OCD I would rip to FLAC rather than aiff. Flac has builtin CRC checksum. Consequently one can easily click a mouse a couple of times and run a batch program to test every single file in your collection to determine if any files are corrupted. With dbpa one would convert to TEST CONVERSION. Even though all these files are lossless, AIFF and WAV and ALAC dont have this FLAC feature.

    I run this on all my files ever so often. And after moving a backup archive to a new hard drive, I
    ways do this to confirm no corrupted files.

    I apologize in advance if I have added to your OCD fears.
    Well, crap. :(

    So, are you saying even with dbpoweramp's accurate/secure capabilities/tools, my AIFF's might still have errors? Simply from CD rip to encoding? Or, are you saying copying and pasting or cloning the files can create unnoticed errors (on a weekly basis I clone the hard drive where my master audio files live, to two more external hard drives, one of those I keep in a fireproof safe).

    In other words, at what point would/could my AIFF files possibly be corrupted?


    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    p.s. with regard to off site storage, even if free, I have always believed that you should get rid of stuff that wont fit in your home. An exception would be temporary storage for a year or so related to a move or short work reassignment. Anecdotally, every single person I know with a rented storage facility keeps lots of stuff that they never ever use. A friend recently paid a company to clean out his storage (and either trash or give to charity everything in it). And hed been paying monthly rent on this space for over 25 years, never returning a single item back to his house. As we were looking over the place as the workers hauled everything away, he kept saying, why in the world did I bother keeping all this stuff.

    I have a stack on my desk at work where I keep documents, papers, etc that I think I will need later. I go through it every 6 months. And 99.9% of the time I send it to the shredder.
    I fully agree with you on this. There's real collecting/hoarding tendencies in my family, and I think I took on some of those tendencies as a child. I've been able to keep those tendencies under control for most of my adult life though, by collecting/keeping only very specific kinds of things - in this case, music (CDs and vinyl). However, my wife of seven years is an absolute minimalist and owns very few material things (just clothes and some furniture) - and can't stand clutter (I don't like clutter either).

    So, when we bought our first home (a comically small house with no storage space beyond a couple closets) early last year we shed a ton of stuff (mostly my stuff). I parted with 90% of my vinyl collection (almost ten crates, sold in bulk very cheaply to an acquaintance who owns a local vinyl-only record shop) but couldn't part with my CDs which I've been collecting for nearly 30 years, so I've had them in storage for 14 months now. It's literally just a couple crates of vinyl, two turntables and a mixer (I used to DJ professionally), and nine boxes of CDs.

    As soon as I'm done ripping by the end of this year, though, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and offload most of it so I can ditch the storage unit.

  5. #5
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,274

    Re: OCD and hoarding issues?

    Quote Originally Posted by RecklessMission View Post
    Well, crap. :(

    So, are you saying even with dbpoweramp's accurate/secure capabilities/tools, my AIFF's might still have errors? Simply from CD rip to encoding? Or, are you saying copying and pasting or cloning the files can create unnoticed errors (on a weekly basis I clone the hard drive where my master audio files live, to two more external hard drives, one of those I keep in a fireproof safe).

    In other words, at what point would/could my AIFF files possibly be corrupted?
    No. You are fine with the ripped files when encoded with dbpa as either accuraterip match or secure. No issues there. Im talking about at a later time when a file might become corrupt. Perhaps some failing sectors on a hard drive, error in copying, etc. I recall a case where someone on this or another forum noticed a corrupted file. Turns out it was a failing hard drive. In his case they were not FLAC so he had no easy way of verifying which of his many thousands of files were corrupt. If they had been FLAC he could have run a batch procedure that would match the embedded CRC with the decoded CRC as a test.

    His backups didnt help him as he had inadvertently copied over the corrupted files to his backup disk. When you are cloning your drive to backups you need to insure you are not cloning corrupted files. I do this by having a swap out system for my various backup drives along with test conversion. Too much to explain typing on my iPhone. But the essence is that if I happened to backup corrupted files, I have other back up disks that didn&*8217;t come from the same master (that held the corrupted files).

    All this said, I have never had a corrupted audio file in many years of managing my digital library.

    My my wife hates clutter too. I have not parted with my thousands of CDs, but they are packed away taking up much less room without jewel boxes. I use
    Jewelsleeve.com
    Last edited by garym; 02-26-2018 at 01:06 PM.

  6. #6
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    59

    Re: OCD and hoarding issues?

    I see, @garym. Thanks!

  7. #7
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,659

    Re: OCD and hoarding issues?

    Hi RM,

    Since I started ripping and using dBpa last year, despite the daunting task of digitizing over 600 CDs (I am only 3/4 through at present), I have started buying more hard-copy discs at a higher rate than I ever have done! I don't have much storage space left and if I carry on, I will never finish my FLAC rips!

    Cheers,

    Paul

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Jackson Heights, NY
    Posts
    30

    Re: OCD and hoarding issues?

    Hi @RecklessMission.

    One of my formal diagnosis is OCD and the symptoms you're describing is hoarding, not OCD - or you may have ADHD (have you been tested?) of which this is a comorbidity.

    My solution was to buy a 10TB expandable NAS and backup to Blackblaze (which backs up changes on all of my drives).

    For a great prime, call: 277,232,917 - 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •