title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Re-rips going on twelve hours, now.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re-rips going on twelve hours, now.

Having already tried multiple optical drives, one particular disc is now in its twelfth hour re-ripping frames on five out of ten tracks - the latter half of the album. “Burst mode” rips them all quickly with half the tracks ripping accurately (confidence over 100 per track) but the other half rips insecurely. In “secure mode” the re-rips have got 9 out of 10 tracks accurate so far but it took nearly 12 hours and it’s still trying to re-rip one last track. Each of these tracks are having to re-rip over 4,000 frames. C2 pointers are set to ”off”. The disc itself is new, with no scratches or smudges. Is this normal?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Re-rips going on twelve hours, now.

No, that is not normal. Looks like a bad pressing of the CD.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

When was the disc manufactured? Does it have any copy protection? How do the tracks sound that have now been ripped?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    When was the disc manufactured? Does it have any copy protection? How do the tracks sound that have now been ripped?
    Manufactured and released in 2015. No copy protection. An album called &*8220;Purple&*8221; by a band called Baroness. The first five tracks ripped normally (Accurate 100+) but the last four tracks took 12 hours to rip accurately, and a fifth track just won&*8217;t rip and turns up as an error. All ripped tracks sound perfect.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Sometimes you just can't rips something accurately. If you can't hear any issues with a burst mode rip of that track, relax and enjoy life. It's time to move on.

But check the surface of the disk after 12 hours of ripping. I had that happen to me once, and after all that work the disk was scratched to the point of destruction. I will never use that drive again.

Generally, if something is going to re-rip thousands of sectors, I generally abort the rip, examine the disk, clean it with soap and cold water, dry it thoroughly, then try again, perhaps with a different drive. Even though a disk looks perfect, sometimes a little soap and water seems to do wonders.

Mike

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post
    Sometimes you just can't rips something accurately. If you can't hear any issues with a burst mode rip of that track, relax and enjoy life. It's time to move on.
    This does not jibe with my OCD!

But check the surface of the disk after 12 hours of ripping. I had that happen to me once, and after all that work the disk was scratched to the point of destruction. I will never use that drive again.
    Wait, what? How does that happen? I get that a drive can scratch the disk if there's debris in there, if the drive is jostled and the laser mechanism touches the disc, or if the disc is warped (again, letting the laser mechanism touch the surface of the disc) - but, how does 12 hours of ripping scratch the disc? If anything I'd think the heat would be more of a problem and the drive itself would literally start burning or something.

dBpoweramp Guru

Generally, if something is going to re-rip thousands of sectors, I generally abort the rip, examine the disk, clean it with soap and cold water, dry it thoroughly, then try again, perhaps with a different drive. Even though a disk looks perfect, sometimes a little soap and water seems to do wonders.

Mike
    If a track has more than 30 frames needing re-ripping, I immediately abort the rip and look closer at the disc. As you say Mike, sometimes soap and warm water works wonders, occasionally when there is no visible signs of fingerprints or any other imperfection, a quick clean and an AccurateRip achieved.

A CD the other day, gave 1,000s of errors on the first track, using the laptop's internal drive. I immediately cancelled the rip, inspected the disc, and on not seeing anything obvious, tried a full size drive via a powered USB adaptor - the CD then ripped perfectly. This was repeatable.

Very occasionally the external drive gives errors, and the CD rips perfectly on the laptop drive.

I have never needed to use burst mode, but on some discs a different CD drive was required to achieve an AccurateRip.