title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "FLAC: Audio File Passed Verification" - what about when it doesn't pass?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: "FLAC: Audio File Passed Verification" - what about when it doesn't pass?

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    don't post them all. Just one CD example that exhibits this outcome.
    Oops, too late! Feel free to ignore the rest then. Obviously happy to post anything else that might help. But it will have to be in an hour or so as I'm now off out to face the cold with the dogs

dBpoweramp Guru

I wasn't going to rip anything today, but this thread has me curious.

I've just ripped five CDs; all files are AR-accurate and passed verification. I rip to my D: (data) local mechanical hard drive with the 'rip to "._" file/rename at end' option.
    Last edited by Jailhouse; 02-21-2018 at 04:30 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks Jailhouse, I appreciate that.

Well...... DAMN! And now I'm starting to wonder how long this has been going on for... As I mentioned above, I don't think R14.4 reported whether the FLACs passed verification. And if I'm right, then this might have been going on for years! I've been happily ripping away thousands of CDs thinking I had all bases covered.

Reality check = the audio sounds ok. And no errors have come up on Test Conversion when I tested those albums. But still, it's a bit of a stress and a worry...

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
    Thanks Jailhouse, I appreciate that.

Well...... DAMN! And now I'm starting to wonder how long this has been going on for... As I mentioned above, I don't think R14.4 reported whether the FLACs passed verification. And if I'm right, then this might have been going on for years! I've been happily ripping away thousands of CDs thinking I had all bases covered.

Reality check = the audio sounds ok. And no errors have come up on Test Conversion when I tested those albums. But still, it's a bit of a stress and a worry...
    passed verification only means that the file is not corrupt. Testing with TEST CONVERSION confirms that the files are not corrupt. So absolutely NOTHING to worry about. In fact, you can point batch converter at your entire collection and "convert to" Test conversion to check every file you own. That should give you peace of mind. I do that with my backup disks now and then.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I think I've had a eureka!

I was reading through some old notes I took when I first started getting into ripping, and that got me onto the scent of something.... The Multicore option. Even though this was available in R14.4, there was no way of using it when running the Multi-Encoder. So even with it ticked, it was still a case of rip > encode > next track > rip > encode > next track. There was never simultaneous ripping and encoding.

Not so in R16.4, where the Multicore does what it is meant to even when ripping with the Multi-Encoder.

Anyhow, that got me to thinking... So I've just ripped a couple of the same CDs with Multicore unticked and lo and behold, all now have "FLAC: Audio File Passed Verification" in the log. Don't know if that counts as a bug or not? I'm guessing that the problem is only a matter of incorrect reporting and not rips with errors / non-verification. Either way it isn't doing exactly what it should....

passed verification only means that the file is not corrupt. Testing with TEST CONVERSION confirms that the files are not corrupt. So absolutely NOTHING to worry about.
    Yes, and I suppose this backs up my guess. The OCD anal me now wants to re-rip the CDs in question. There's only about 8 or 10 of them. But that really would be a waste of time... Wouldn't it? Is there the slightest chance the files have errors somehow? I told you I was a stress-head!

In fact, you can point batch converter at your entire collection and "convert to" Test conversion to check every file you own. That should give you peace of mind. I do that with my backup disks now and then.
    Exactly what I was thinking as soon as you explained how to do it. So yes, I think I might give that a go both on my main drive and the back ups.

Cheers for the help

dBpoweramp Guru

The OCD anal me now wants to re-rip the CDs in question.
    Try just one of them and see what you get. But keep in mind what garym said about TEST CONVERSION; you needn't worry.

Reality check = the audio sounds ok.
    That's the most important thing. Even if a not-verified track has a minor corruption, if it doesn't exhibit any audible glitches then it might as well be perfect.

I have one known file that did not pass the AccurateRip test. I listened to it three times running, as closely as I have ever listened to anything. No glitches that I could detect, and none when listening to the CD. So I made a note in my records to that effect and stopped worrying about it.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I think I've had a eureka!
    Scrap that :( The same thing is happening today even with Multicore switched off. I thought I had it sussed but obviously not.

I really hope Spoon (or someone) can look into this and help find out why it is happening...

I do get it:

- I'm OCD about my rips
    - The files sound fine
    - The files show no errors when run through Test Conversion
    - I therefore should not worry...

...but...

The "Verify Written Audio" is there to be used. It's there to help with an extra level of security and peace of mind. And in my case, it is doing the opposite and reporting something is wrong. So I'm finding it hard to ignore.

dBpoweramp Guru

Is your destination path under control of any media player? Did you try to rip directly to the final filenames?

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Is your destination path under control of any media player?
    Well, I have Foobar set to so that in the preferences, Under Media Library, my music drive (J) is listed under Music Folders, with a status of "Monitoring". Does that count? Nothing other than that that I'm aware of.

This OS (W7) was only installed a couple of weeks ago. The only media player is foobar, and that is set up exactly how it was in my previous OS (XP); including the monitoring of "J".

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Did you try to rip directly to the final filenames?
    That's all I've tried... And AFAIK it's the only option available when using the Multi-Encoder.

Thanks for the thoughts and help.

dBpoweramp Guru

Well, I have Foobar set to so that in the preferences, Under Media Library, my music drive (J) is listed under Music Folders, with a status of "Monitoring". Does that count? Nothing other than that that I'm aware of.
    Just a guess - I would try to rip to a destination for a test. Maybe it's a access conflict...

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I don't totally follow you I'm afraid...

Do you mean I should try changing the path/Output To in DBPA so that the rips go to a different folder / drive? And should I leave everything else the same in both DBPA and Foobar?

Cheers

dBpoweramp Guru

Change the ouput path in dBpa to a totally different path, which is not monitored by foobar or any other software.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

The "Verify Written Audio" is there to be used. It's there to help with an extra level of security and peace of mind. And in my case, it is doing the opposite and reporting something is wrong. So I'm finding it hard to ignore.
    What DSPs are you using, if any?

Administrator

>The "Verify Written Audio" is there to be used. It's there to help with an extra level of security and peace of mind.

This option is more for testing the codec code, not storage, as any re-reading of the written audio will not come from the HDD, it will come from Windows file system memory cache, which will always be 100% correct even if there was a corruption on the HDD....

To check your files, restart your computer fully, then use Batch Converter and convert all the FLAC files to Test Conversion, that is the only way to test for file system corruption.

dBpoweramp Guru

Max (is it okay if I call you that?), I have a hunch: Try setting the 'rip to ._ file and rename after' option instead of ripping directly to the final file name.