title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: "FLAC: Audio File Passed Verification" - what about when it doesn't pass?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: "FLAC: Audio File Passed Verification" - what about when it doesn't pass?

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
    Maybe other people are not having the same problem and it is therefore irrelevant to them?

If you guys or any other users were coming on here to say that the same thing was happening and so we were all in the same boat, then I'd be fine and dandy to ignore.
    Spoon has stated the option does not work correctly. Un-tick the option and periodically run Test Conversion on your flac library.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Spoon has stated the option does not work correctly. Un-tick the option and periodically run Test Conversion on your flac library.
    I thought he said it does not work as people expect it to, rather than it not working correctly.

Anyhow, I'll just untick it then, ignore what it says in the manual, and use Test Conversion from time to time to check newer rips.

It definitely seems to be the case that if I leave my PC alone during the rip, all tracks get the verified notification log. But if I use my PC during the rip, some tracks have the log missing. That seems to be a set pattern, and to my mind at least would suggest that something in my set up is affecting the log entry; which in turn would suggest something wrong with my system and/or a bug.

Nevertheless, I'll leave it there, untick the "Verify" option, run Test Conversion from time to time, and put my faith in you guys who have been kind enough to put up with my insistence and share your time and knowledge. Much appreciated!

dBpoweramp Guru

But it is strange that this is happening on my system, but not to anyone else who has contributed to the thread... Do your rips have the log entry missing (presuming you use FLAC that is)?
    I turned on "Verify Written Audio" after this thread started, and had confirmations on all ripped tracks. I have since turned it off as being unnecessary.

It's a bit too early to say this conclusively, but what I have noticed is a pattern whereby when I leave the PC alone while ripping, all of the logs are there at the end. If I use the PC whilst ripping (for things like using the internet, write word docs; basic stuff like that) that's when there seems to be tracks with missing logs.
    I have not used other applications when ripping is in process, nor do I use Multi Encoder, so I suppose the combination could be a cause. However, your tracks rip without errors regardless and you can test them using a method known to be solid. All that "Verify Written Audio" is doing for you (or, rather, to you) is unsettling your mind. I that you have decided to untick it, and I applaud the decision.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    I have not used other applications when ripping is in process
    That's interesting... So every time you rip you leave your computer well alone and don't do anything on it while the rip is in progress? If that's the case, may I ask why? Have you heard of it causing problems? Just curious...

dBpoweramp Guru

I surf the web, do email, etc. when I'm ripping. I've never seen this cause a problem with my files. I don't use the multi-rip. I rip to FLAC only.

dBpoweramp Guru

That's interesting... So every time you rip you leave your computer well alone and don't do anything on it while the rip is in progress? If that's the case, may I ask why? Have you heard of it causing problems? Just curious...
    I'm usually going over upcoming discs, checking for possible tagging gotchas or issues with scanning covers, while keeping one eye on the rip in progress to see if I've screwed up a tag or a track isn't Secure or if weirdness such as having to re-rip 25,000 frames has popped up. Also, I tend to like to concentrate on one task at a time when possible. (In this case, rip all the discs, then scan and edit all the covers.) That's just the way I like to work, so it hadn't occurred to me to worry that multitasking while ripping might be a problem. I haven't seen anything to that effect.

dBpoweramp Guru

The only situation I can think of that has *potential* to interfere with the ripping process is if the same computer you're ripping on has software that is trying to do things with the tracks you're ripping (e.g., a music library automatically indexing new audio tracks, or an Anti-virus program trying to do something with these tracks, etc.).

I also rip to my local C:\ drive and then later move the files to my music server (across the network). I could rip directly to the network server, but (1) I want to avoid any glitches that could occur simply because of network transfer while ripping (an unlikely problem) and (2) I want to review my newly ripped files to make sure I'm happy with tags, art, maybe rerun ReplayGain to treat multidisk CD as one album for "album RG" purposes, etc. Once I'm happy, I move the files over to my music Server.

Sorry to revive this thread, but I am here to confirm there is a problem with this option, with FLAC.
    I converted 25 CDs yesterday to ALAC and not one single file had "Audio File Passed Verification" missing in the log.
    As for FLAC today (level 5), I ripped about 20 CDs and I did recognize a couple of tracks here and then not returning "Audio File Passed Verification".

Perhaps because FLAC was too fast? ALAC was slower?

I am on Windows 10 and dBpoweramp R17.4. I have no antivirus on my system (just Windows Defender).

If it's of any interest I can make a couple of screenshots.