title
Products            Purchase            Codec Central            Forum & Support            Professional            About
  
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 67

Thread: "FLAC: Audio File Passed Verification" - what about when it doesn't pass?

  1. #31
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    291

    Re: "FLAC: Audio File Passed Verification" - what about when it doesn't pass?

    Hi all

    Sorry for the delay. So, here are a few updates.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Just a guess - I would try to rip to a destination for a test. Maybe it's a access conflict...
    I've now tried this. First I tried ripping with the Multi-Encoder to a different location on a different drive. That did not fix it.

    Next I tried ripping to that same location/drive, but without the Multi-Encoder (just ripping to FLAC). I thought it had solved it. But as I ran a few more test rips, the problem crept back. So I think it is fair to say that less tracks have the missing notification. But there are still some that do.

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    What DSPs are you using, if any?
    I am using the ReplayGain and ID Tag Processing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    Max (is it okay if I call you that?)
    I've been called worse!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    I have a hunch: Try setting the 'rip to ._ file and rename after' option instead of ripping directly to the final file name.
    You cannot use that with the Multi-Encoder, AFAIK. However, for testing purposes I've put this at the top of the To Do list and will see what happens and report back. It will be a bit later though as I'm off to work shortly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    >The "Verify Written Audio" is there to be used. It's there to help with an extra level of security and peace of mind.
    That's why it's stressing me out that I am getting tracks that are not being reported as verified.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    This option is more for testing the codec code, not storage, as any re-reading of the written audio will not come from the HDD, it will come from Windows file system memory cache, which will always be 100% correct even if there was a corruption on the HDD....
    I don't follow that I'm afraid. Sorry. Can you/anyone explain please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    To check your files, restart your computer fully, then use Batch Converter and convert all the FLAC files to Test Conversion, that is the only way to test for file system corruption.
    Yes, I might do that when I get the time, as garym suggested earlier as well. Perhaps overnight tonight. And if everything comes back as fine, then I suppose I wouldn't have anything to worry about. But it still would not answer why not all tracks are being reported as verified in the log.

    As a quick side note, what exactly is being compared / verified when you do this? Is it the compressed/encoded FLAC against the uncompressed/decoded FLAC?

    Sorry for all the questions, but really hoping we can get to the bottom of this.

    Thanks for all the input and support.

  2. #32
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,377

    Re: "FLAC: Audio File Passed Verification" - what about when it doesn't pass?

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
    really hoping we can get to the bottom of this.
    Try creating a new profile in CD Ripper, with Rip to = FLAC, Path = C:\, default Naming, no DSPs, the 'rip to "._" file/rename at end' option, etc. i.e. as many default settings as is possible.

    Hopefully, you'll rip with all files logging Audio File Verification. Then, edit that profile, one setting at a time, to match your usual ripping profile and try another rip until the verification is not logged. I know this is a bit of a drawn out process, but it is the only way I can think of, to highlight the culprit.

  3. #33
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    381

    Re: "FLAC: Audio File Passed Verification" - what about when it doesn't pass?

    The odd thing is that there is either a message that a file passed verification, or nothing. No file-didn't-pass message, as one would expect, or error message stating that the verification attempt failed. I can see why this is disconcerting.

    Something seems to be hijacking the verification process. Being that this is happening on a new Win7 installation, I suspect Windows Media Player. If you haven't done so, check its settings and untick anything that lets WMP interact with new music files. Or, if you don't use WMP at all, disable it:

    Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off > Media Features > Untick Windows Media Player.

  4. #34
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    291

    Re: "FLAC: Audio File Passed Verification" - what about when it doesn't pass?

    Thanks chaps, I'll follow all of that advice and report back. Might take a bit of time as I have a lot on, but do it I shall.

    Quick aside, is there any way to uninstall WMP completely? Or is disabling it as good as it gets?

    Really appreciate all the help

  5. #35
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    291

    Re: "FLAC: Audio File Passed Verification" - what about when it doesn't pass?

    Although saying that, I only have ten days left on the trial and will be reluctant to buy until this is sorted. So I best not hang around for too long!

  6. #36
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    3,976

    Re: "FLAC: Audio File Passed Verification" - what about when it doesn't pass?

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
    Although saying that, I only have ten days left on the trial and will be reluctant to buy until this is sorted. So I best not hang around for too long!
    In my opinion it would be silly to not buy dbpa 16.X and continue using an older version. I'm even surprised you are using the trial and didn't simply purchase the new version. You're not a newbie to dbpa after all.

  7. #37
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    381

    Re: "FLAC: Audio File Passed Verification" - what about when it doesn't pass?

    Your ripped files pass muster with AccurateRip and test as not corrupted, making this problem more or less cosmetic. I wouldn't hesitate to buy now.

    It looks like I answered your uninstall/disable WMP question before you posted it. I apparently have precognition.

  8. #38
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    291

    Re: "FLAC: Audio File Passed Verification" - what about when it doesn't pass?

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    In my opinion it would be silly to not buy dbpa 16.X and continue using an older version. I'm even surprised you are using the trial and didn't simply purchase the new version. You're not a newbie to dbpa after all.
    Not a newbie, but a bit of a stresser who doesn't cope with change too well! So I wanted to make sure I could transition from R14.4 without no problems, and therefore made use of the trial.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    Your ripped files pass muster with AccurateRip and test as not corrupted, making this problem more or less cosmetic. I wouldn't hesitate to buy now.

    It looks like I answered your uninstall/disable WMP question before you posted it. I apparently have precognition.
    Yes, good crystal ball skills I agree that it is most likely a "cosmetic" thing, but nevertheless it would be nice to know for sure. Perhaps Spoon will pop back and help get to the bottom of this. i didn't understand everything from him last post.

    As for updates...

    - I've uninstalled WMP and it hasn't changed anything.

    - Ripping to JUST FLAC (so no Multi Encoder), and to the C drive rather than the usual J drive = virtually all tracks come through with the verification notification. Just one or two didn't (out of quite a few albums).

    - Ripping as usual with the Multi Encoder, but changing the location to C instead of J = "the problem" persists.

    The other suggestions above I'll try as soon as I get time. We are planning a house move so things are a bit hectic at the moment.

    Thanks for all the help.
    Last edited by Max Dread; 02-27-2018 at 06:52 PM.

  9. #39
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    381

    Re: "FLAC: Audio File Passed Verification" - what about when it doesn't pass?

    It looks like Multi Encoder is the main suspect, then. Good luck with the move!

  10. #40
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,377

    Re: "FLAC: Audio File Passed Verification" - what about when it doesn't pass?

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
    Ripping to JUST FLAC (so no Multi Encoder), and to the C drive rather than the usual J drive = virtually all tracks come through with the verification notification. Just one or two didn't (out of quite a few albums).
    What flac compression level did you use? Did you use any DSPs? You used the Rip to '._' files, rename album at end , option? Any other non-default CD Ripper options in your profile, you can think of?

    I can understand there being issues when Rip to = [Multi Encoder], but not when Rip to = flac.

  11. #41
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    291

    Re: "FLAC: Audio File Passed Verification" - what about when it doesn't pass?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    It looks like Multi Encoder is the main suspect, then.
    Yes, definitely. Although strange that the very occasional track still creeps through when encoding to FLAC only.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    Good luck with the move!
    Thanks, that's very kind of you

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    What flac compression level did you use? Did you use any DSPs? You used the Rip to '._' files, rename album at end , option? Any other non-default CD Ripper options in your profile, you can think of?

    I can understand there being issues when Rip to = [Multi Encoder], but not when Rip to = flac.
    Hi mville. I use FLAC compression level 5. I've still had the RG and ID Tag Processing with the first set of test rips. I'll try again with the DSPs removed. And more generally I will also take the approach outlined above whereby I get a profile as close to default as possible and test with that, changing one thing at a time to try to find a culprit. So that will include "Rip to '._' files", etc. It could take time though because it is only the occasional track that doesn't get the log, so for each tweak I might have to run a few rips.

    Progress might be slow, but progress will be made!

    Thanks again. It's great to have a supportive forum

  12. #42
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,377

    Re: "FLAC: Audio File Passed Verification" - what about when it doesn't pass?

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
    I use FLAC compression level 5. I've still had the RG and ID Tag Processing with the first set of test rips. I'll try again with the DSPs removed. And more generally I will also take the approach outlined above whereby I get a profile as close to default as possible and test with that, changing one thing at a time to try to find a culprit. So that will include "Rip to '._' files", etc. It could take time though because it is only the occasional track that doesn't get the log, so for each tweak I might have to run a few rips.

    Progress might be slow, but progress will be made!
    OK, good luck.

    A couple of other questions, can you confirm your platform/OS and what security/anti-virus software you are using?

  13. #43
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    291

    Re: "FLAC: Audio File Passed Verification" - what about when it doesn't pass?

    Thank you.

    I'm on Windows 7 Pro (64-Bit), and I use Panda Free.

  14. #44
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,377

    Re: "FLAC: Audio File Passed Verification" - what about when it doesn't pass?

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
    It could take time though because it is only the occasional track that doesn't get the log, so for each tweak I might have to run a few rips.
    Is it the same track that doesn't get logged, or is the behaviour random?

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
    I'm on Windows 7 Pro (64-Bit), and I use Panda Free.
    Try disabling Panda Free, when ripping.

  15. #45
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    291

    Re: "FLAC: Audio File Passed Verification" - what about when it doesn't pass?

    Sorry for the stupidly long delay in responding. It really has been super busy here!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Is it the same track that doesn't get logged, or is the behaviour random?
    The behaviour seems to be random. There's no discernible pattern that I can see, and it is different tracks which are not logged as verified when I re-rip the same disc.

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Try disabling Panda Free, when ripping.
    OK, so I tried a rip with Panda disabled ("Stop antivirus" option). It didn't help. Should I try a complete uninstall, or would "stopping" it be enough?


    Just to re-iterate....

    - When ripping with the multi encoder to FLAC and mp3 at the same time, if I have "Multicore" ticked, several tracks will not be logged as verified.
    - But when I untick "Multicore", often all tracks will be logged as verified. When this is not so, it is usually only one track which slips through.

    So "Multicore" definitely seems to have something to do with this.

    Will now try some other stuff. If I don't fall asleep in front of the computer that is

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Copyright 2018 Illustrate. All Rights Reserved.