title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gapless ripping: any changes in recent DBPA versions? What is Gap (Pre-Track) column?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Gapless ripping: any changes in recent DBPA versions? What is Gap (Pre-Track) column?

Hi all

Just playing around with R16.4 trial at the moment, after having used R14.4 for the last few years...

Has anything changed with regards to gapless ripping? I rip to FLAC and mp3 using the Multi-Encoder. I was just listening to an album I ripped a couple of days ago and there are gaps between tracks which sound a little odd. But I no longer have the CD and therefore cannot compare it against the rips, so it could be the CD itself. It got me to thinking though... I never had any gapless issues with R14.4.

Also, what is the Gap (Pre-Track) column for? Is it purely information only? I read on another forum where someone said/asked: "In one of the more popular set-up guides for EAC, it was strongly suggested that you run Gap Detection before ripping. dBpoweramp will only do this if you add the "Gap (Pre-Track)" column to the display. Is gap detection important? Do you do this in dBpoweramp?" That got me thinking too....

Any gapless thoughts and clarifications most welcome.

Cheers

Max

PS - I am using foobar for playback, in its virgin state. I have only just recently installed the OS and have not got around to setting up and configuring foobar yet.

Administrator

Re: Gapless ripping: any changes in recent DBPA versions? What is Gap (Pre-Track) col

All CD Ripping programs rips every track gaplessly if ripping to a lossless format.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Gapless ripping: any changes in recent DBPA versions? What is Gap (Pre-Track) col

OK. So what happens with mp3s?

And also, any comment on the Gap (Pre-Track) column? Is it purely information?

Ta

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
    OK. So what happens with mp3s?
    Lame mp3 files have gapless info in the header. In my own case, I can verify that these mp3 files play gapless on all my players.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Yes, I must say that I also have not had a problem with mp3s on my iPod. So all good there. (Well, I say that... But I recently bought a Arcam drDock and that seems to be doing a little bit of truncating on tracks when in shuffle mode. I've never had a dock do that before. But that's another subject). I'm just hoping that nothing is different now that I am using R16.4.

The rip I have that I mention in post *1 with the dodgy gapless... I'll get in touch with the guy who bought the CD and ask if he would mind having a listen and seeing what the CD itself sounds like in comparison.

In the meantime:

What is the Gap (Pre-Track) column for? Is it purely information only? I read on another forum where someone said/asked: "In one of the more popular set-up guides for EAC, it was strongly suggested that you run Gap Detection before ripping. dBpoweramp will only do this if you add the "Gap (Pre-Track)" column to the display. Is gap detection important? Do you do this in dBpoweramp?" That got me thinking too....
    Cheers

dBpoweramp Guru

Short answer. No. There is no gap detection in dbpoweramp. Avoiding all that stuff is why I moved from eac to dbpa.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

OK, great. Whoever wrote that must have been confused then, unless of course this is something that DBPA used to have/do. I think it was from an old thread of quite a few years ago.

So presumably then the "Gap (Pre-Track)" column is 100% just for information purposes and simply just reports how the CD has been written / mastered?

Cheers

dBpoweramp Guru

OK, great. Whoever wrote that must have been confused then, unless of course this is something that DBPA used to have/do. I think it was from an old thread of quite a few years ago.

So presumably then the "Gap (Pre-Track)" column is 100% just for information purposes and simply just reports how the CD has been written / mastered?

Cheers
    Then I must be wrong. But I've not seen a setting in dbpa for gap detection (I guess because I've not added the column you mention). In any case, without changing any settings, all my thousands of rips deal with gapless tracks perfectly.

Administrator

There is a DSP effect which uses those values to remove the pre track silences. However, if a CD is gapless by definition (that is one track plays straight to 2nd track with no silence), it will not have any inter-track silences on the disc.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

The rip I have that I mention in post *1 with the dodgy gapless... I'll get in touch with the guy who bought the CD and ask if he would mind having a listen and seeing what the CD itself sounds like in comparison.
    I got in touch with him and he has just responded to say that the gap is there on the CD as well. Some dodgy mastering methinks! Sorry for the confusion. I guess it was just bad timing that I should pick a CD to rip first that had poor gapless...

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Then I must be wrong. But I've not seen a setting in dbpa for gap detection (I guess because I've not added the column you mention). In any case, without changing any settings, all my thousands of rips deal with gapless tracks perfectly.
    I've not seen a setting either and presume there isn't one. It's just the column which you can choose to have (or not).

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    There is a DSP effect which uses those values to remove the pre track silences. However, if a CD is gapless by definition (that is one track plays straight to 2nd track with no silence), it will not have any inter-track silences on the disc.
    Right, ok. So the column gives the values as they've been authored/mastered on the CD. And this has no affect on the rip, unless the DSP Effect is used, which uses these numbers to do its deed.

Is that correct?

dBpoweramp Guru

Right, ok. So the column gives the values as they've been authored/mastered on the CD. And this has no affect on the rip, unless the DSP Effect is used, which uses these numbers to do its deed.

Is that correct?
    Yes. Correct.

dBpoweramp Guru

I was just listening to an album I ripped a couple of days ago and there are gaps between tracks which sound a little odd.
    there are gaps between tracks which sound a little odd, in what way?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Yes. Correct.
    Great, thanks for confirming.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    there are gaps between tracks which sound a little odd, in what way?
    It sounds to me like the first track should go straight into the second track. If you can bear some black metal for a moment, take a listen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3z-nR26oaQ&t=73s

Track 1 end just after the minute mark and there is a BRIEF silence between it and Track 2. On the CD/rip, that silence gap is around 2 - 3 seconds long. And it sounds terrible. It just so happened to be one of the first rips I did after switching to Win7 (from XP), and R16.4 (from R14.4), and so when I heard it I just feared that it might be something to do with the change over.

Cheers

dBpoweramp Guru

It sounds to me like the first track should go straight into the second track. [...] I just feared that it might be something to do with the change over.
    I have some CDs that I presume have bad indexing, to the effect that when ripping the end of one track is cut off and prepended to the beginning of the next track. With gapless playback, there is no problem when playing the tracks consecutively, but playing either one by itself results in a truncated song or one with an odd beginning. I think this may be what you're experiencing.

Because I normally have foobar2000 playback set to Random, this is annoying.* I fix the problem by opening the tracks in a music editor and moving the errant bit of music to the track it belongs in. (I use Sound Forge. Audacity, which is free, would probably also work.) Incidentally, TEST CONVERSION indicates the files are not corrupted, but I'd bet they would no longer pass inspection by AccurateRip.

*I have a 2010 Yardbirds greatest hits compilation CD set which exhibits this problem across several tracks on one of the disks. Moomph.
    Last edited by Jailhouse; 02-23-2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Missing word

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    I have some CDs that I presume have bad indexing, to the effect that when ripping the end of one track is cut off and prepended to the beginning of the next track. With gapless playback, there is no problem when playing the tracks consecutively, but playing either one by itself results in a truncated song or one with an odd beginning. I think this may be what you're experiencing.

Because I normally have foobar2000 playback set to Random, this is annoying.* I fix the problem by opening the tracks in a music editor and moving the errant bit of music to the track it belongs in. (I use Sound Forge. Audacity, which is free, would probably also work.) Incidentally, TEST CONVERSION indicates the files are not corrupted, but I'd bet they would no longer pass inspection by AccurateRip.
    You are correct, AccurateRip would probably report Track Different Length Than CD Original.