title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asset R6.1 beta for Mac/Linux

Super Moderator

Asset R6.1 beta for Mac/Linux

A beta version of Asset R6.1 for Mac & Linux has is available for testing.

Current version: R6.1 beta 9

<now released>

Changes since R6:
    • Fixed ugly Asset device image due to outdated included image.
    • Fixed missing album art for some folders when browsing by filenames & folders.
    • Fixed "download configuration dump" feature giving wrong data on embedded Linux (QNAP and other NAS types).
    • Search changes merged from Windows codebase.

Changes in beta 2
    • Better handling of ../ relative paths in playlists.
    • Fixed mishandling of UTF-8 BOM in M3U8 playlists.
    • Better response to entering an invalid path in media/playlists folder configuration.
    • Added visible feedback when there's not enough free space in Asset's data folder.

Changes in beta 3
    • Fixed web configuration glitches.
    • Fixed download configuration dump giving nonsense on embedded Linux... previous fix wasn't quite working as it should. *sigh*

Changes in beta 4
    • Prevented the same criteria under "Additional" from being selected more than once.
    • Fixed for specific devices such as LG TV hammering Asset and causing excess memory usage.

Changes in beta 5
    • Playlist manipulation fixes.
    • Made specified playlist folders indexed recursively.
    • Prevented 'playlists' root browse tree entry from disappearing when no playlists currently reside directly in the specified folders.
    • LAME updated to 3.100
    • libvorbis updated to 1.3.6

Changes in beta 6
    • Fixed missing playlists after manual editing of browse tree text.
    • Various debug logging refinements to aid with future debugging.

Changes in beta 7
    • Fixed lockup when trying to stream non existent files without decoding/reencoding.
    • Fixed extreme memory usage when a client walks a large shuffle-tracks folder in small steps (encountered with LG TV).

Changes in beta 8
    • Improved reading of ArtistSort, AlbumSort etc values from various file formats. We now accept either spelling of the field name, "artist sort" (with space) or "artistsort" (without space) and so on.
    • QNAP packaging and folder structure cleanups - no more config data in bin folder, smaller distribution size.
    • File naming cleanups, removed "trial" which confused some people - installing trial or beta over registered always results in Asset functioning as registered.

Changes in beta 9
    • Fixed missing DoP option for DSD files.
    • Added support for new QNAP devices with 64-bit ARM processors, TS-128A and similar.

Registered / unregistered status
    Beta versions will act as registered if you install them on top of a registered install; as trial otherwise.
    The above is also valid for regular trial versions.
    Last edited by Spoon; 05-16-2018 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Beta 9

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Asset R6.1 beta for Mac/Linux

When I moved from release version to this beta I found the playlists didn't seem to be picked up. They worked fine in 6 but same playlists were not even registered in 6.1 beta. I did a complete rescan but still nothing. Going back to release version saw all the playlists back.
    Philip

Super Moderator

Thanks for your feedback.
    I've been going over differences between R6 release and this beta and see no reason why playlists would quit registering.
    What exact configuration machine are you using? Regular Linux / embedded Linux / NAS / Mac OS ?
    A configuration snapshot would be useful as well, email to peter@dbpoweramp.com

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    Thanks for your feedback.
    I've been going over differences between R6 release and this beta and see no reason why playlists would quit registering.
    What exact configuration machine are you using? Regular Linux / embedded Linux / NAS / Mac OS ?
    A configuration snapshot would be useful as well, email to peter@dbpoweramp.com
    It worked firn with next beta release so no worries, must have been something with that first beta
    Philip

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Fairly trivial but does the Beta version 4 executable still show beta 3 on the web screens as mine does despite several reinstalls and even removing the old executable before copying new files over?
    Philip

Super Moderator

Which exact package are you seeing the old version number with?
    I just checked all the links in the post above and each of them reports beta 4.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

R6.1 Beta 4 working fine for me. I expand the zip and take the excludable, the css file and Versions folder into the etc/bin/Asset/bin folder on my RPi. I am running single instance of Asset, with a complete set of customized icons & artist images, so I don&*8217;t want to overwrite those.
    I use Playlists with the Naim app (backing them up through extracting under iTunes) as they are an integral part of the control app.

In fact not experiencing any change since Beta 1, where now my custom image for Asset server web page is now restricted in size. Could this be changed, so the image is rendered based on its actual size or where the size is a configuration setting?

Thanks, Simon

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    Which exact package are you seeing the old version number with?
    I just checked all the links in the post above and each of them reports beta 4.
    I am using the RPi version and I deleted the executable and new version shows beta 3 from the web interface for all four asset instances.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by psweetie View Post
    I am using the RPi version and I deleted the executable and new version shows beta 3 from the web interface for all four asset instances.
    jkust tried again and suspect it was a unix failure on my part, have copied directories, forced the update and it now reports correctly the version txt file is now the correct one

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I have beta 4 running and while playlists are picked up in the main instance, I seem to have no playlists for the other instances whatever I put in the playlists folder and whether I have separate or shared playlist folders. I have just emailed you my config as requested before

Philip

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by psweetie View Post
    I have beta 4 running and while playlists are picked up in the main instance, I seem to have no playlists for the other instances whatever I put in the playlists folder and whether I have separate or shared playlist folders. I have just emailed you my config as requested before

Philip
    Tried overinstalling R6 and it too only picks up playlists for my first instance. The playlist directories seem to be set correctly but nothing shows from my control app

Philip

Super Moderator

Thanks for the detailed bug report.

Beta 5 should address disappearing playlists.

Note that past Asset R6 versions would:
    • Not index the specified folders recursively - only look for playlists directly in the specified directory, not in subfolders.
      This has been fixed.
    • Refuse to show "playlists" item at all if there are no apparent playlist files to be shown - that is, neither specified folder with playlists has *.m3u;*.m3u8;*.pls in it - disregarding subfolders if any.
      The browse tree state would become cached and the entry could stay hidden until Asset restart even playlists have been added to the folder.
      This has been fixed.

Also, M3U reader has been made accept ~/paths if that makes things any easier.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Ok, just loaded Beta 5 to see if my disappearing playlists have been resolved by the changes. Bottom line is that I still can't see them in any instance other than the "main" one.

For the main instance, called ROCK, I have the music library configured as /home/pi/nas/MASTER/R and the playlists configured as /home/pi/nas/MASTER/P/R. If I place a m3u file in the playlist directory and it has an entry using absolute referencing such as /home/pi/nas/MASTER/R/The Beatles/1/23 - The Beatles - The Ballad of John and Yoko.flac then the playlist is picked up and the single item is correctly identified, shows its album art and can be played. All good.

If I repeat the same procedure for a "secondary" instance, say TEST, if I point the library to /home/pi/nas/MASTER/TEST and the playlist directory to /home/pi/nas/MASTER/P/TEST and have a m3u file which has a single entry of /home/pi/nas/MASTER/TEST/The Beatles/1/23 - The Beatles - The Ballad of John and Yoko.flac the playlist is not picked up and shows an empty list.

I have tried changing the playlist to be a sub-directory off the music directory. I have tried a single playlist directory for all instances but still empty playlist when browsing. I have also tried the Naim control and Creation5Free to see if it the Naim software doing something funky, but they both report the same.

Philip

Super Moderator

Alright, thanks for your patience with us- this was one interesting bug to figure out, and didn't make sense until I cloned your full config on the development machine.

Because of internal design quirks of Asset, the Playlists browse tree entry must be suffixed with two spaces: "Playlists " - without the quotation marks. This must have gone wrong when editing by hand as text, editing via dropdown lists gives the correct results. I'll make sure this works sanely from the next update up, I don't blame you for triggering this as it's far from obvious to figure out.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Genius!
    That was a bit of a sleuth to track that one down. All working correctly across all instances now
    Thanks for your perseverance!

Philip