title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: iTunes advice please

iTunes advice please

I am new to dBpoweramp, and hope I didn't overlook the answers to my questions.

I listen mostly to "classical" music. I have been disappointed that many media players don't support tags such as "composer". I used iTunes to rip about a hundred CD's because tag management and search by "composer" are supported. I ripped them in Apple Lossless format.

I have used iTunes on my W10 desktop, and have a functional iPod "classic" with 160 gb of storage. I had an iPhone at one time, issued by my employer. All those devices worked well together for me.

Four months ago I purchased a Galaxy S8 phone, and found that Apple doesn't have an iTunes app for Android phones, and that the available Android apps won't read Apple Lossless. I converted my files to mp3 format, but had difficulties with quality of playback and taggings.

I have been frustrated attempting to come up with a way to convert my iTunes files to FLAC and preserve the tags, until I found dBpoweramp. In addition I am no longer sure that the Apple Lossless files are error free.

So, before I go further I ask for advice. Is there one lossless format in iTunes to convert from (in addition to ALAC there is also AIFF and WAV) that works best? Are there tricks in extracting tags from the Apple folders (I've heard some aren't easily found)? And finally, would I be better off just taking the time to re-rip all of my CD's to de novo FLAC files using the dBpa ripper?

Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: iTunes advice please

My advice is re-rip your 100 CDs to flac, using dBpoweramp CD Ripper.

CD Ripper uses AccurateRip and you can produce a log file for each CD ripped, that will tell you whether your rip has errors, something that is not possible when ripping in iTunes.

Once you have a flac library, you are then able to convert to all other popular formats available, using dBpoweramp Music Converter.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    My advice is re-rip your 100 CDs to flac, using dBpoweramp CD Ripper.

CD Ripper uses AccurateRip and you can produce a log file for each CD ripped, that will tell you whether your rip has errors, something that is not possible when ripping in iTunes.

Once you have a flac library, you are then able to convert to all other popular formats available, using dBpoweramp Music Converter.
    Thanks for your reply. I've thought I'd probably be better off re-ripping the CDs, but that is a lot to do. I hope that now I know enough about the process to get it right this time.

Thank you for your advice.