title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Can't find my ripped files!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Can't find my ripped files!

So I've ripped over 200 CDs with no odd issues (besides the usual/occasional "inaccurate" or "not secure" issues), but I just ripped an album and can't find the files in the usual pathway and they don't come up in a search either (for the band name, or the album title). I tried to re-rip and ripper asked if I wanted to overwrite the files, so the files are presumably somewhere!

The album I ripped is by a band called "...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead" (they're a prog-punk band). Does the artist name have something to do with this (the periods, or the length)? I ripped a Beck album right after and, as expected, that showed up in the usual path in the "Beck" artist folder like normal. So where are the files for the other band?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Can't find my ripped files!

Can you post your Path and Naming strings?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Path: /Volumes/Files 1/Music/AIFF Music

Naming: [album artist]/[album]/[track] [artist] - [title]

dBpoweramp Guru

When re-ripping you are asked overwrite the files, the full path is displayed in this window.

Also, in CD Ripper you can enable the Display Information Log. The full path is displayed in the Information Log.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Here's the file path for the first track from the Information Log after another successful re-rip. I still do not see the files in my "AIFF Music" folder after the re-rip. Neither the artist, tracks, nor album appear there as they should. Search does nothing and the files don't show up in PerfectTUNES either.

Information converting to AIFF, 'Track 1' to '/Volumes/Files 1/Music/AIFF Music/...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead/IX/01 ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - The Doomsday Book.aiff'

The only thing I can think of is there's a problem with the band name starting with "..." or the length of the band name itself.

I'm using MacOS High Sierra Version 10.13.3

dBpoweramp Guru

It works ok, when you remove the ... from the beginning of the album artist and artist tags?

Administrator

'...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead'

Gves a hidden folder I think on OSX

Super Moderator

Thanks for your feedback.
    Indeed, a file or folder name should not begin with a dot on Linux/MacOS, it indicates a hidden object. We'll address this in a future dBpoweramp update so we never produce such files.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks all. When I was troubleshooting yesterday I erased the "..." from the "artist" field prior to ripping and that didn't seem to work. I tried again today, erasing "..." from the "artist", "album artist", and "composer" fields and that worked!

However, it's likely I still have a hidden folder there beginning with "...". Was looking around trying to find solutions to make the folder visible, including a unique terminal command - but that didn't work, and I'm afraid of messing around with that too much anyway. I guess I won't worry about it.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessMission View Post
    Thanks all. When I was troubleshooting yesterday I erased the "..." from the "artist" field prior to ripping and that didn't seem to work. I tried again today, erasing "..." from the "artist", "album artist", and "composer" fields and that worked!
    Yes, that makes sense because your Naming string has [album artist] as the top level folder.

So, when Album Artist is ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead, a hidden folder is created at the top level i.e. under the Path /Volumes/Files 1/Music/AIFF Music.
    Last edited by mville; 02-19-2018 at 08:39 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Yes, that makes sense because your Naming string has [album artist] as the top level folder.

So, when Album Artist is ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead, a hidden folder is created at the top level i.e. under the Path /Volumes/Files 1/Music/AIFF Music.
    Indeed, the answers are quite often right under our noses. Thanks, again.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I encountered the same problem a couple of days ago with Foobar2000 not displaying a couple of my albums. I'm using Windows 10 and have a copy of my albums on a WD NAS. The NAS uses Linux as the operating system so it made ...But Seriously by Phil Colliins a hidden album. I tried to rename the folder and remove the hidden attribute, but I was unable to remove the hidden attribute. I resolved the problem by creating a new folder for the album without the periods in front for the name and copying the tracks to the new folder. There is another solution to unhide the folder, but you need to use SSH and Putty on the NAS, which doesn't look like an easy solution.

I see dBpoweramp will have an update to address the issue, and hopefully the update will address Windows using NAS devices.