title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Moved from R14.4 to R16.4 - Please Explain these Changes (Part 1)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Max Dread
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Dec 2013

Moved from R14.4 to R16.4 - Please Explain these Changes (Part 1)

Hi

I'm really pleased I've made the change from R14.4 to R16.4. I'm only three days into the trial but have already decided that the upgrade is definitely worth it. There are just a few things I am uncertain of. In fact, maybe a few more than a few So I thought I'd separate them out into a couple of threads rather than a single bombardment!

OK, so here goes....

1. I've always had my Secure Settings > Ultra Secure set to: Minimum Ultra Passes 1. Maximum Ultra Passes 6. End After Clean Passes 1. Knowing me, that would have been chosen after some research when I first started ripping a few years back. Well, I noticed that the on line advice says "Drive Supports c2 error pointers well - enable Ultra Secure with Minimum 1, Maximum 2 and End after 1." So should I change to that? What do other people use? I have three different drives, all of which support C2 error pointers well.

2. Is it still the case that program and profile settings are saved in the registry? Or is there an easier way to back these up nowadays?

3. Send finger prints… What is it?

4. Why was the option to “Prevent auto-run on all CD drives” taken away?

5. Options > File Name Restricted Characters > ANSI (ISO-8859) Characters Only in Filename. What is this option for?

6. In ID Tag Processing, what are these options for?

- Embed Audio CRC as = (no CRC Embedded)
    - Embed Audio MD5 as = (no MD5 Embedded)

I don't think either were there in R14.4...

7. Mp3 Encoder > Encoding quality setting. In the past there were only three options. I used to use Slow (High Quality). Now there are 10 to choose from. Which one should I choose/what are the differences? Which one from the 10 is the same as/closest to the old “Slow (High Quality)” setting?

Help on ANY of these points would be most helpful.

Huge thanks in advance.

Max
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Moved from R14.4 to R16.4 - Please Explain these Changes (Part 1)

Originally posted by Max Dread
    1. I've always had my Secure Settings > Ultra Secure set to: Minimum Ultra Passes 1. Maximum Ultra Passes 6. End After Clean Passes 1. Knowing me, that would have been chosen after some research when I first started ripping a few years back. Well, I noticed that the on line advice says "Drive Supports c2 error pointers well - enable Ultra Secure with Minimum 1, Maximum 2 and End after 1." So should I change to that? What do other people use? I have three different drives, all of which support C2 error pointers well.
    If your are confident your drives support C2 error pointers (drives often falsely claim to support C2 error pointers), then I would go with the advice. Personally, my drives do not support C2 error pointers and I have Minimum Ultra Passes 2, Maximum Ultra Passes 4, End After Clean Passes 1.

2. Is it still the case that program and profile settings are saved in the registry?
    Yes.

3. Send finger prints&*8230; What is it?
    See this: Send Finger Prints

4. Why was the option to &*8220;Prevent auto-run on all CD drives&*8221; taken away?
    The auto-run commands are different per OS, so maybe difficult to maintain. Anyway, it is probably better to turn off auto-run in the OS e.g. in windows, go to Control Panel >> AutoPlay.

5. Options > File Name Restricted Characters > ANSI (ISO-8859) Characters Only in Filename. What is this option for?
    Try google, bing etc. for ANSI (ISO-8859).

6. In ID Tag Processing, what are these options for?

- Embed Audio CRC as = (no CRC Embedded)
    - Embed Audio MD5 as = (no MD5 Embedded)
    If you notice, the (no CRC Embedded) and (no MD5 Embedded) options are part of 2 drop-down options. Click on (no CRC Embedded), you then have the choice of (no CRC Embedded) or CRC32.

For more info, go to CD Ripper >> DSP panel >> ID Tag Processing >> Settings >> Click the Help icon
    and click on the ID Tag Processing link.

7. Mp3 Encoder > Encoding quality setting. In the past there were only three options. I used to use Slow (High Quality). Now there are 10 to choose from. Which one should I choose/what are the differences? Which one from the 10 is the same as/closest to the old &*8220;Slow (High Quality)&*8221; setting?
    Do you mean in CD Ripper >> Rip to >> mp3 (Lame)? Where are you seeing only 10 options?

Comment

• Max Dread
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Dec 2013

Morning mville, and thanks for the replies.

Originally posted by mville
      If your are confident your drives support C2 error pointers (drives often falsely claim to support C2 error pointers), then I would go with the advice. Personally, my drives do not support C2 error pointers and I have Minimum Ultra Passes 2, Maximum Ultra Passes 4, End After Clean Passes 1.
      My main drive is a Plextor PX-716AL. Second in line is a Plextor PX-708A, although that is new to the set up and has not been used yet. And last I have a Pioneer DVR-215BK. I'm pretty confident all support C2 Error Pointers... So maybe I'll change Maximum Ultra Passes from 6 to 2. I'll have to check through some old notes again and see if I can find out why I had it set to 6 to begin with.

[Profile settings are saved in the registry?] Yes.
      OK, thanks for confirming. I think I'll stick with manually setting up. I have my set up well documented

Thanks. I saw that but I didn't feel all that much the wiser after reading it. I was hoping there might be more info about it somewhere???

The auto-run commands are different per OS, so maybe difficult to maintain. Anyway, it is probably better to turn off auto-run in the OS e.g. in windows, go to Control Panel >> AutoPlay.
      OK, cool. I've recently installed Windows 7 Pro and one of the first things I did was disable all auto-runs. I've never been a fan. Hopefully that will serve the purpose. I didn't know if the DBPA took it to a higher level.

Try google, bing etc. for ANSI (ISO-8859).
      I did try to find out for myself before coming here, but everything I read went way over my head! It was all Greek to me I was hoping someone here might be able to explain it in layman's terms. And not so much what it means/is, but how it practically applies to DBPA.

If you notice, the (no CRC Embedded) and (no MD5 Embedded) options are part of 2 drop-down options. Click on (no CRC Embedded), you then have the choice of (no CRC Embedded) or CRC32.

For more info, go to CD Ripper >> DSP panel >> ID Tag Processing >> Settings >> Click the Help icon
      and click on the ID Tag Processing link.
      Yep, I tried that as well before coming here. The help file says: "CRC32 and MD5 can be calculated for the audio and embedded in a tag name", and leaves me none the wiser. I would like to know what this actually means, and if possible what the practical advantages/disadvantages are for the options.

Do you mean in CD Ripper >> Rip to >> mp3 (Lame)? Where are you seeing only 10 options?
      I have the Multi-Encoder installed... So, if I click on mp3 (Lame) Settings (in the Encoder window), then in the resulting window I click on Advanced, there is then a drop down menu next to Quality. There are then ten options to choose from, ranging from -q 0 to -q 9. Previously, there were just three options here (Slow / Default / Fast I think, but can't remember exactly). So my questions relate to that change.

Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

I did try to find out for myself before coming here, but everything I read went way over my head! It was all Greek to me I was hoping someone here might be able to explain it in layman's terms. And not so much what it means/is, but how it practically applies to DBPA.
        ANSI is an extended version of the ASCII character set i.e. the letters, numbers and symbols you use on your keyboard. If you don't know what character set to use, leave the option on the default.

Yep, I tried that as well before coming here. The help file says: "CRC32 and MD5 can be calculated for the audio and embedded in a tag name", and leaves me none the wiser. I would like to know what this actually means, and if possible what the practical advantages/disadvantages are for the options.
        CRC32 and MD5 are checksums used to verify data integrity. The options in dBpoweramp allow you to save the checksum values in tags. Again, if you don't understand these options or their application, leave the options on default.

I have the Multi-Encoder installed... So, if I click on mp3 (Lame) Settings (in the Encoder window), then in the resulting window I click on Advanced, there is then a drop down menu next to Quality. There are then ten options to choose from, ranging from -q 0 to -q 9. Previously, there were just three options here (Slow / Default / Fast I think, but can't remember exactly). So my questions relate to that change.
        I am using dBpoweramp R16.4 and mp3 (lame) is giving me 19 different Quality settings, not 10. Slow (High Quality) = Quality -V 0 "extreme".

Comment

• Max Dread
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Dec 2013

I am using dBpoweramp R16.4 and mp3 (lame) is giving me 19 different Quality settings, not 10. Slow (High Quality) = Quality -V 0 "extreme".
          I think we're talking cross purposes here. I presume you are talking about the main slider on the encoder page? I also have 19 options there. But if you click in the Advanced button beneath the slider, another setting for quality can be seen in the new window. That's the setting I'm talking about.

You are probably right regarding those other two points. I'll leave them on default unless someone is able to enlighten me. What would be very helpful to know though is how those settings relate to DBPA R14.4. These options weren't available back then, so does that mean none of them existed then? Or just that it was not possible to choose?

Cheers

Comment

• mville
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2008

I think we're talking cross purposes here. I presume you are talking about the main slider on the encoder page? I also have 19 options there. But if you click in the Advanced button beneath the slider, another setting for quality can be seen in the new window. That's the setting I'm talking about.
            OK, got you now, I was confusing the Quality -V option with the Quality -q option. So, Slow (High Quality) = -q 0 (slowest, high quality).

For more info, go to CD Ripper >> Encoder panel >> mp3 (Lame) >> Settings >> Click the Help icon

You are probably right regarding those other two points. I'll leave them on default unless someone is able to enlighten me.
            ANSI character sets

What would be very helpful to know though is how those settings relate to DBPA R14.4. These options weren't available back then, so does that mean none of them existed then? Or just that it was not possible to choose?
            In R14.x, if the ANSI (ISO-8859) Characters Only in Filename option did not exist, it suggests you could only use the ASCII character set in the Filename Restricted Characters replacement option. Now, in R16.x, you can use the ANSI character set.

Again, in R14.4, ID Tag Processing, if the Embed Audio CRC as and Embed Audio MD5 as options did not exist, then you could not save the CRC and MD5 checksum values to tags. Now, in R16.x, you can.

Comment

Working...

]]>