title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ripping Multi CD Multi Artist CD's

Ripping Multi CD Multi Artist CD's

Hi,

I really want to buy dbPoweramp BUT am having trouble with multi disc cds.

Currently trying to rip Woodstock 40 year 6 cd box set. ~100 tracks and 50 artists. Keeps putting each artists in a separate folder so when I go to play instead of 1 or 6 cd I have over 50. Some with just 1 track a 20 second announcement.

What I've done is:

Compilation on and off=no difference

Artists field filled or black = no difference

Disc 1/6 etc =no difference

Gone into meta data and got just the title of the set (used to say Woodstock etc.. the first track artist)

I've had trouble with every other multi disc as well.

What are the settings I should use to make it obvious this is one album with multi discs and artists?

Thanks,

Aztex

Re: Ripping Multi CD Multi Artist CD's

OK,

Now that I have it set to just the title of the actual CD and all I get is errors and despite stating accurate (35) there is NO folder/file/music on my drive!

BTYW

Ripping with Mac superdrive to a 27" iMac and have zero issues with single disc cds.

Thanks,

Aztex

dBpoweramp Guru

You have to configure the naming string and album artist right. I'll give you an example later.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Sorry for the delay...

Ok, as I said there are several things to configure:

I show you just my naming string as example:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[tags]album artist, - [],[IFCOMP]Compilations[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[IFMULTI][disc]-[][track] [title]

This looks quit cryptic on first sight but you have a fair chance to understand it as time goes on.

What does that naming string do and how does it work?

It controls the path and filenames of your ripped files.

I set it up that way that:

- if there is no album artist (in the meta data review dialog)

AND

- if compilation is checked (in the meta data review dialog)

a folder with the name [album] will be created in the folder "Compilations". All files will be stored in that folder.

If it is a multi disc set (n/m discs with n running number of disc and in total m discs and m > 1 in tag [Disc] in the meta data review dialog) the filesnames will start with "n-" followed by the track number and the track name.

So what to do?

Setup the naming string once.

For each disc:

Check the "Compilation check box" in the metadata dialog.
    Clear the album artist in the metadata dialog.
    Set the right disc number for each disc.

That's all!

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aztex View Post
    Now that I have it set to just the title of the actual CD and all I get is errors and despite stating accurate (35) there is NO folder/file/music on my drive!
    Please can you post the error(s), preferably with a screen shot?

Also, please can you post your Path and Naming strings.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Please can you post the error(s), preferably with a screen shot?

Also, please can you post your Path and Naming strings.
    Hi,
    Sorry I was busy the rest of the day. Let's try it again!

Here's the string I used:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]/[album]

This one gave the titling of "Woodstock 40.... CD 1" as should be!

Hit rip and only a page of errors, no cd ripped even though the ripper window has "accurate (35) for each track:

Error converting to FLAC, 'Track 2' to '/Users/warren/Music/iTunes 1/Various Artists/Woodstock "40 Years On; Back To Yasgur's Farm" CD1.flac'
    Error renaming '/Users/warren/Music/iTunes 1/Various Artists/Woodstock "40 Years On; Back To Yasgur's Farm" CD1._' to '/Users/warren/Music/iTunes 1/Various Artists/Woodstock "40 Years On; Back To Yasgur's Farm" CD1.flac' (code: 2).

I had compilation and multi disc checked and 1/6 in the disc field.

If I use the "default" or the one suggested I get this: Various Artists/Woodstock "40 Years On: Back To Yasgur's Farm" CD1/01 - Handsome Johnny" which is the first track.

The real problems start with subsequent discs and dbPoweramp doesn't seem able to differentiate.

On a 3 disc CSNY 1974 It handled disc 1 and 2 ok but disc 3 was put in the folder with disc 1 alternating tracks; so 1,1,2,2,3,3 etc... destroying the continuity of the songs. I forget how I solved that as it took 6-8 tries and I never knew which would work till complete and then it either reverted to default or what worked for CSNY does not work for Woodstock.......

I'm still willing to buy this software but THIS MUST be a simple procedure! I have 200 cd's to rip and obviously I will not spend hours on each!

Thanks,

Aztex

dBpoweramp Guru

BTW: it is no good idea to rip to a iTunes folder directly, especially while iTunes is running

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Error converting to FLAC, 'Track 2' to '/Users/warren/Music/iTunes 1/Various Artists/Woodstock "40 Years On; Back To Yasgur's Farm" CD1.flac'
    Error renaming '/Users/warren/Music/iTunes 1/Various Artists/Woodstock "40 Years On; Back To Yasgur's Farm" CD1._' to '/Users/warren/Music/iTunes 1/Various Artists/Woodstock "40 Years On; Back To Yasgur's Farm" CD1.flac' (code: 2).
    Yes, it looks like something is locking your file(s), probably iTunes, before CD Ripper has finished ripping, hence the error(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    BTW: it is no good idea to rip to a iTunes folder directly, especially while iTunes is running

Dat Ei
    iTunes is not running when I rip. It's basically disabled as I use Audirvana. It actually lands in the iTunes folder but not the folder for iTunes. Since flac's iTunes doesn't recognize. But Audirvana recognizes the entire folder so it finds all my iTunes files AND the flac's outside the iTunes media folder.

But perhaps I should rip to a different folder and then move in???? No problme with other albums... only multi disc....

Thanks for your help!

Aztex

Yes, it looks like something is locking your file(s), probably iTunes, before CD Ripper has finished ripping, hence the error(s).
    But I only get an error when I use a string that makes the title accurate. If I rip by default no errors BUT get the multi folder, one for each artist, result. That actually works but makes playback ridiculous as it makes 50 albums instead on 1!

iTunes is off and not used at all! I use Audirvana and when I started I was still using iTunes and Audirvana has a good auto sync with iTunes folder so I can rip some files apple lossless and use on iPhone.

It seems I had an issues with Audirvana when I took all the files out of iTunes and made a separate folder. It worked but had a glitch I don't recall specifics of but made this approach the best and simplest.

Thank!

Aztex

dBpoweramp Guru

But I only get an error when I use a string that makes the title accurate. If I rip by default no errors BUT get the multi folder, one for each artist, result. That actually works but makes playback ridiculous as it makes 50 albums instead on 1!

iTunes is off and not used at all! I use Audirvana and when I started I was still using iTunes and Audirvana has a good auto sync with iTunes folder so I can rip some files apple lossless and use on iPhone.

It seems I had an issues with Audirvana when I took all the files out of iTunes and made a separate folder. It worked but had a glitch I don't recall specifics of but made this approach the best and simplest.
    Sorry, I'm struggling to understand the issue here.

Is this your current Naming string:
    [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]/[album]

because if it is, it is incomplete as the filename is not defined.

Sorry, I'm struggling to understand the issue here.

Is this your current Naming string:

because if it is, it is incomplete as the filename is not defined.
    What would be a proper file string then? In fact logically it should be:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[]

Not sure what the empty closed brackets are []

What I was doing was editing the string until I saw a reasonable title in the box below....

This was the default string with artists and track deleted. If left as-is it ALWAYS made a separate folder/album for each artists. By using the string I was seeing that the album would be correctly and logically named Woodstock 40...cd 1" Otherwise it would be woodstock40...cd 1 Richie havens handsome johnny" and EVERY artist put in a separate folder and appearing as separate albums in Audirvana!

I was thinking this my be if compilation checked as this isn't really compilation. It seems compilations give all ripping software grief. I have a Willie Nelson box set and each track with a guest artists is separated....

Thanks,

Aztex

dBpoweramp Guru

This is the CD Ripper default Naming string:
    [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title]

when deleting artist and track, you have deleted the filename.

dBpoweramp Guru

If left as-is it ALWAYS made a separate folder/album for each artists. By using the string I was seeing that the album would be correctly and logically named Woodstock 40...cd 1" Otherwise it would be woodstock40...cd 1 Richie havens handsome johnny" and EVERY artist put in a separate folder and appearing as separate albums in Audirvana!

I was thinking this my be if compilation checked as this isn't really compilation. It seems compilations give all ripping software grief. I have a Willie Nelson box set and each track with a guest artists is separated....
    Not if your tags are correct, prior to ripping, unless there is an issue with Audirvana.

Not in my experience. There must be something else going wrong here.

If we take one step at a time, we can get this working for you. Let's get the Naming string correct first.
    Last edited by mville; 02-16-2018 at 02:04 PM.

This is the CD Ripper default Naming string:
    [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title]

when deleting artist and track, you have deleted the filename.
    Right!

BUT it names the album/artist/track as I said above!