title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: "Accurate" vs. "Secure" etc.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

"Accurate" vs. "Secure" etc.

So, I'm currently re-ripping my 1,500+ CD collection as AIFF. 99% of my CDs going back almost 20 years are absolutely mint/pristine, being that I ripped them as MP3 in iTunes once then immediately put them back in their jewel case and into boxes in storage. No scratches, finger prints, dust etc.

I've ripped 80 discs so far and only had one track come through as "secure" but not "accurate." Two questions. . .

1. Why does one track on a pristine CD that is otherwise "accurate" come through as not accurate, but "secure"?

2. Does "secure" mean there are no data errors, or does it imply that there are still data errors (or the possibility of data errors) on the final output audio file?

I also had one other track on a different CD come through as both not "secure" and not "accurate" and therefore did not rip at all, despite the fact that the rest of the CD was both "secure" and "accurate." So, third question. . .

3. What options do I have here to get audio off that one track off that CD? Switch to "burst" mode and just live with the fact that there's probably data errors on the final output file?

Apologies if these are dumb questions. I've read just about all the tutorials and in-depth explanation pages here and though I know "AccurateRip" is the gold standard, I'm still not sure if a "secure" rip is good enough. Thanks!
    Last edited by RecklessMission; 02-05-2018 at 02:44 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: "Accurate" vs. "Secure" etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessMission View Post
    1. Why does one track on a pristine CD that is otherwise "accurate" come through as not accurate, but "secure"?

2. Does "secure" mean there are no data errors, or does it imply that there are still data errors (or the possibility of data errors) on the final output audio file?
    The track is Secure, so has ripped without errors. However, the resulting digital audio (based on the CRC checksum) does not match with the AccurateRip database.

I also had one other track on a different CD come through as both not "secure" and not "accurate" and therefore did not rip at all, despite the fact that the rest of the CD was both "secure" and "accurate." So, third question. . .

3. What options do I have here to get audio off that one track off that CD? Switch to "burst" mode and just live with the fact that there's probably data errors on the final output file?
    The track is Insecure, which means it has ripped with errors. You can try Burst mode or better still, try ripping in another optical drive.

Apologies if these are dumb questions. I've read just about all the tutorials and in-depth explanation pages here and though I know "AccurateRip" is the gold standard, I'm still not sure if a "secure" rip is good enough.
    Your questions are asked in these forums on a regular basis. A search of the forums would have given you the answers you need.

An AccurateRip is what we all hope for, but if your CD is not in the AccurateRip database, Secure is good enough.

With reference to your pristine CDs, this does not mean you are guaranteed error free rips. CDs can contain manufacturing errors which are not visible, but can produce errors.

Finally, one difference between CD Ripper and iTunes is that CD Ripper will report ripping errors, whereas iTunes will not. So, you may have ripped CDs in iTunes previously, but you will be oblivious to any errors, unless they are audible on playback.

dBpoweramp Guru

And keep in mind that not all CDs are in the AccurateRip database (so "secure" is best you can get) and that newly released CDs don't show up in the AR database for about a month it seems. If one has PerfectTunes, you can use it post-rip to check against the AR database later on (i.e., when originally ripped, you received SECURE but CD not in AR database, but a month or so later you can check these files against AR database that perhaps now contains the CD info. By the way, in this case, if the AR database match is a "1", this could just mean that you are matching against the AR you submitted (matching against yourself). But if the AR match is 2 or more, then you are matching against someone else's rip. And that's of course the real benefit of AccurateRip.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thumbs up Re: "Accurate" vs. "Secure" etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Your questions are asked in these forums on a regular basis. A search of the forums would have given you the answers you need.
    Thanks, mville. I searched previously, but didn't quite seem to find as specific an answer as I wanted - just links to technical articles written by Spoon. I've since done quite a bit of reading and I think I'm familiar with all the concepts now.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks, garym. Good to know!

dBpoweramp Guru

I searched previously, but didn't quite seem to find as specific an answer as I wanted - just links to technical articles written by Spoon. I've since done quite a bit of reading and I think I'm familiar with all the concepts now.
    I find I get better search results, searching outside of the forum search facility, i.e. using google, bing etc.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I find I get better search results, searching outside of the forum search facility, i.e. using google, bing etc.
    Cool. Thanks for the tip.