title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Pi3 Asset Questions

Raspberry Pi3 Asset Questions

After many hours and reading from lots of different sources I now have Asset working on a headless Raspberry PI.

I have it connect to a NAS that stores my music.

A few things I could not figure out. Where does Asset store the database for the music.
    When Raspberry PI reboots and Asset starts it shows no files and needs to do a rescan. Can it be set to do a rescan after every start?

Thanks

Super Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi3 Asset Questions

On Linux, Asset's database by default resides in your home folder, under ~/.dBpoweramp . Unfortunately on some Linux distributions the home folder is not suitable for this.
    You can specify where you want Asset storing your configuration by setting the _APPDATA_OVERRIDE environment variable prior to running Asset.

Example:
    export _APPDATA_OVERRIDE=/var/AssetData
    ./AssetUPnP

Replace /var/AssetData with a suitable location within your Linux filesystem with sufficient free space (Asset caches album art of your albums there which may require quite a bit of space depending on your music library).

Hi Peter

Thanks I was able to find the database and there is still lots of room on the card, so it is suitable where it sits.
    When I do a reboot the computer the data base is gone. Is that correct? Also is there somewhere I can put a command in to do an automatic rescan of the of the folders in Asset after a reboot?

Administrator

It is not asset which is wiping that data, you need to investigate what is, try writing another file to that folder and reboot the pi, does it also get deleted?

Hello Spoon and Peter

My mistake it is not deleting the file. But it starts up with no files showing on the web interface and it shows as an empty library on my music client. Can I have a rescan start after every bootup or why is showing no files after bootup?
    Last edited by RaspberryAsset; 02-06-2018 at 08:22 PM.

Administrator

For it to show 0 files on restart, the database file must be being wiped, check its size before a reboot and after.

before and after reboot1.jpg

Here is a picture showing before and after reboot.

Any idea why this is happening?

Hello Spoon and Peter

Did you look at the picture from my last post?
    Thoughts?

Super Moderator

The folder where your Asset configuration is placed must be on some kind of a RAM drive that does not survive reboots. You need to redirect it somewhere else. For an example, to the same folder where your Asset binaries are located.
    Use the _APPDATA_OVERRIDE as shown in my post above to choose another folder to store your Asset data.

Hi Peter and Spoon

I am sorry but I am new to Linux and I cannot figure this out. Can you walk me through this?

Super Moderator

What is the location of your Asset application folder?
    What command do you use to start Asset?

Let's presume your Asset application folder is something like /var/myAssetInstallationPath - replace it with your actual path before running these commands.
    You start Asset using something along these lines:
    /var/myAssetInstallationPath/AssetUPnP
    or
    cd /var/myAssetInstallationPath
    ./AssetUPnP

Before starting Asset, set an environment variable telling Asset the desired location under which ".dBpoweramp" folder should be created-
    export _APPDATA_OVERRIDE=/var/myAssetInstallationPath
    /var/myAssetInstallationPath/AssetUPnP

Note that if /var/myAssetInstallationPath contains space characets, extra quotation marks will be needed around it for the above to work.

Thanks for your help.

I tried this

set export _APPDATA_OVERRIDE=/var/Asset/Asset-R6-RaspberryPi-registered/bin
    /var/Asset/Asset-R6-RaspberryPi-registered/bin/AssetUPnP

But it did not seem to work.

Super Moderator

export _APPDATA_OVERRIDE=/var/Asset/Asset-R6-RaspberryPi-registered/bin

No "set"

Quote Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
    export _APPDATA_OVERRIDE=/var/Asset/Asset-R6-RaspberryPi-registered/bin

No "set"
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for the information on setting the path for Asset files. I can successfully make the change manually prior to starting Asset and have verified that the data is written to the correct location. However, I start Asset at boot and do so with @reboot /usr/bin/asset/bin/AssetUPnP in a cron file. Can the export _APPDATA_OVERRIDE=[my specific path] command also be added to the cron file before the @reboot /usr/bin/asset/bin/AssetUPnP command? So the cron file entries would look like:

@reboot export _APPDATA_OVERRIDE=[my specific path]
    @reboot /usr/bin/asset/bin/AssetUPnP

Thanks,

Robin

Administrator

you would be best using a .sh script to do this, this might help you get started:

https://learn.adafruit.com/an-illust...-shell-scripts