title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Composer tags - semi colon separator vs forward slash

Re: Composer tags - semi colon separator vs forward slash

Thanks to all..good to see what others are doing.
    End result from the "developer" after pointing out the issue of the Hi Fi Cast app was a one liner
    "Great to hear you got it working - even though you had to resort to using circumvention."
    Was a little disappointed but I guess my issue with is in the minority. Not sure of the degree of difficulty to fix...
    So I wont be holding my breath for any fix...
    Thanks

Got my FLAC files updated and added lots more composer info for some of the tracks that had none.
    So now the composer metadata for the FLAC library are in the form:
    composer1 / composer2 etc etc and this presents well in the music player I am using.
    So rather than redo the same for my ALAC version manually I want to use Batch Converter to produce an ALAC version of the FLAC library.
    So I did a test.
    The current ALAC library use the ; separator
    When I use the Batch Converter of the FLAC files that I changed to the " / " separator it converts it to a " \ " for ALAC
    Is this likely to present a problem?
    I am still a little confused as to why ; or / or \ or doesn't it matter which is used and really depends ( like said before ) as to what the player needs.
    Better still is there a best preference or practice depending on which encoder is used.
    Just wanted to know before thinking about converting the whole library.
    As an added bit of side info...Still cannot get the composer info to present when using Foobar20000 mobile when playing from the NAS does not matter whether a ; or / or \ is used. Does display the composer info if playing from a local music source on the ipad or tablet ie located in local storage..does my head in..
    Thanks
    Steve
    Last edited by shcbris.; 02-16-2018 at 06:49 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

I just edited a flac using Edit ID-Tag, so composer was edited from composer1; composer2
    to composer1 / composer2

When I convert the flac to alac (using dBpoweramp R16.4 for windows), when viewed in Edit ID-Tag, the alac composer is composer1 / composer2

In which application are you seeing the expected forward slash changed to a back slash?
    Last edited by mville; 02-16-2018 at 09:52 PM.

Just upgraded to R16.4..was on I think R16.2......and as you say now there is a forward slash....
    Thanks for the fast response.
    Jeeze...frustrating, was not really expecting this difference from 16.2 to 16.4.
    But anyway did 3 albums and looks ok...glad it was that easy.
    Just out of interest the difference between ; and / just arbitary?
    Thanks again
    Last edited by shcbris.; 02-16-2018 at 10:34 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by shcbris. View Post
    Just upgraded to R16.4..was on I think R16.2......and as you say now there is a forward slash....
    Thanks for the fast response.
    Jeeze...frustrating, was not really expecting this difference from 16.2 to 16.4.
    But anyway did 3 albums and looks ok...glad it was that easy.
    Just out of interest the difference between ; and / just arbitary?
    I can only assume that when converting to alac, the forward slash to back slash change, was a bug.

dBopweramp inserts a semi-colon + space separator, when displaying multi-value tags.

My understanding of this thread is that you have edited your (multi-value) composer tags, so they are no longer multi-value tags, rather a single value tag containing a single string e.g.:
    composer 1 / composer 2

The forward slash is just a character that you have used in the composer tag. It could be any character. There is no separator, as there is nothing to separate.

... please confirm this, by opening a flac file (where composer contains a forward slash) in MP3Tag and viewing the extended tags (ALT+T). In the extended tags window first column, how many instances of COMPOSER are listed?

Last edited by mville; 02-17-2018 at 07:16 AM. Reason: added image

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/asset.p...0&d=1518905875

Here is my info re the same track.
    Is what you are saying that the multi value tag is really only the ; and all that I have done is really just made
    the name of the composer one giant composer separated by a /
    That said should I really just of left it as a ; as it was and found a player that could handle it properly?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi mville, posted a response earlier to to above question but as yet it has not appeared..?
    Wondering if its best just to convert the composer metadata back to a "; " ( semicolon + space ) as it was originally and just find a music app ( or NAS or whatever ) that can handle it properly.
    Just looks like all I've managed to do is to make one giant composer name where multiple composers are involved by using a forward slash to separate the names.
    If I go to the trouble of using mp3tag to change all the composer and multiple artists files back is "; " ( semicolon + space ) or just a semicolon on its own ";" (with no space).
    the way to go for both FLAC and ALAC
    Or just a semicolon on its own ";" with no space
    Maybe should of left well enough alone in the first place.
    Don't really want to do it too many times....
    Thanks
    Last edited by shcbris.; 02-17-2018 at 07:44 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Wondering if its best just to convert the composer metadata back to a "; " ( semicolon + space ) as it was originally and just find a music app ( or NAS or whatever ) that can handle it properly.
    This would be my approach.

Just looks like all I've managed to do is to make one giant composer name where multiple composers are involved by using a forward slash to separate the names.
    Yes, this is how I understand it and your app just displays this one giant composer.

If I go to the trouble of using mp3tag to change all the composer and multiple artists files back is "; " ( semicolon + space ) or just a semicolon on its own ";" (with no space).
    the way to go for both FLAC and ALAC
    Or just a semicolon on its own ";" with no space
    Firstly, I work on my flac files only. When I know my flac library is as I want it, then I convert it to other formats e.g. alac, mp3 etc.

If you were to convert the flac composer tags in dBpoweramp, you would use '; ' (semi-colon + space), but MP3Tag uses a different multi-value separator to dBpoweramp. For flac files, in MP3Tag the separator is '\\' (backslash + backslash).

Also, MP3Tag uses a special action Split field by separator action to convert tags to multi-value tags. See my post no. 28, which describes the 2 actions that you need to do this, which you combine in an action group. Action groups are saved in MP3Tag, so you can re-use them.

Make sure you test on a single flac, until you are familiar with what is going on and to confirm the conversion is successful:
    view the composer in the main MP3Tag window (it should be):
    composer 1\\composer 2

and view the composer in the dBpoweramp windows file explorer context menu option, Edit ID-Tag (it should be):
    composer 1; composer 2

Thanks mville.
    I am just planning to replace the / with a "; " for the composer info and for the multiple artist metadata where it was changed from the ; scenario get it back to how it was hopefully before mucking around with it..
    That'll teach me to try and be too smart for my own good.
    Thanks..

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks mville.
    I am just planning to replace the / with a "; " for the composer info and for the multiple artist metadata where it was changed from the ; scenario get it back to how it was hopefully before mucking around with it..
    Thanks..
    as mville points out simply changing back to ; won&*8217;t work. You need to change to &*8220;\\&*8221; with no space. Or so simply return to your prechange backup files (which you should have).

Garym...not sure what you are getting at in your last post..keep in mind we all do not have the skills you guys have.
    Hopefully "won&*8217;t work" is not meant to be a profanity.
    As to "&*8220;\\&*8221;" this is meaningless to me except for the \\
    Wishing now that you had not mentioned mp3tag in the first place.

garym..don't get me wrong from my last post....I'm just frustrated..wasted a lot of time and while I have my backup copy..I did want to make some progress on this. So I appologize for my comment about the mp3tag etc ...know you are only try to help me.
    So currently all the composer info and artist info have a semicolon + space "; "separating multiple composers or artists.
    This was done using mp3tag.
    So is what I am supposed to do if I am understanding this correctly
    Using mp3tag
    Using quick actions...
    For Composer (or Artist)
    1. In actions...Do a replace option and replace "; " to \\
    2.Then after this using split field by separator with a "~" symbol
    3, Then save
    For each file.
    Is it that straight forward?

dBpoweramp Guru

Sorry, when posting from my iPhone, the forum converts quote marks etc into nonsense characters, or maybe these are the ascii code for the character. But yes, mp3tag uses \\ to indentify multi value tags. Not sure the steps as Im away from my computer. I would need to experiment.

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes I understand. But, in MP3Tag, simply replacing ' / ' with '; ', won't get you back to your original multi-value composer and artist tags.

In MP3Tag select Actions, not Actions (Quick), to open the Actions Group window. You are going to create an Action Group containing 4 actions, 2 for the Composer tag and 2 for the Artist tag. Now, click the New button, name the new Action Group and this then opens the Actions window.

Now, you need to create 2 actions in the Actions window for the Composer tag. Click the New button and create a Replace action. Set Field: COMPOSER and I suggested you replace ' / ' with a unique character i.e. the tilde character '~' (you can replace ' / ' to whatever character you want, but make sure the character is unique i.e. it is a character that you have not used in your composer and artist tags). The first action is now created.

Next, while still in the Actions window, click the New button again and create a second action, Split field by separator, set Field: COMPOSER and Separator being the replacement character used in the first action i.e. the tilde characater '~'.

Next, copy the 2 actions using the Duplicate button to create 2 more identical actions. Click the Edit button and set Field: ARTIST on both duplicated actions. So, you now have 4 actions. 2 of these actions process the composer tag and 2 actions process the artist tag. Note you can move actions up and down the action list, using the move up and move down buttons:

The 4 actions make up an Action Group, which is saved in MP3Tag when you click the OK button, so you can select the Action Group again and run it on all your flac files, only when you are sure the Action Group is working successfully.

Test on a single flac, until you are familiar with what is going on. To confirm the Action Group has worked successfully:
    view the composer and artist tags in the main MP3Tag window (they should be):
    composer 1\\composer 2 and artist 1\\artist 2

and view the composer and artist tags in the dBpoweramp windows file explorer context menu option, Edit ID-Tag (they should be):
    composer 1; composer 2 and artist 1; artist 2

dBpoweramp Guru

garym..don't get me wrong from my last post....I'm just frustrated..wasted a lot of time and while I have my backup copy..I did want to make some progress on this.
    Yes, I understand you are frustrated, but your were also advised and warned earlier in this thread, by myself and Dat Ei, but you ignored the advice. Posts no. 12 and 19 also tried to suggest you would run into problems. That is why it is important to read and understand the advice on offer in these forums, before dismissing it.