title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 54 of 54

Thread: Composer tags - semi colon separator vs forward slash

  1. #46

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    35

    Re: Composer tags - semi colon separator vs forward slash

    Ok Thanks.
    As far as dismissing the advice...didn't really need to be pointed out the obvious....I was maybe under the misapprehension / delusion though that this was reasonably straight forward.
    Lets look at this from the consumer perspective.
    I bought this program years ago and have paid for several updates over the years,
    It states that you get perfect rips and that you get metadata from several sources. And indeed it does.
    And I ripped basically the same way using a default naming scheme found on this site.
    What is annoying is from my point of view is that, as you pointed out, all player apps seem to go there own way with respect to how they handle some of this metadata.
    It even appears that mp3tag has a slightly different take on how all this works. Not real sure if anyone has it standardized.
    Its almost like going back to propriety solutions situation instead of a universal solution.
    Most people want to be able to just get an accurate rip..be able to play it on a player and basically have a display of things like
    artist, album, track name, track number, duration, composer, album cover art . Maybe genre and a few other things are nice but essentially the main ones are of interest.
    Maybe publish what player apps work with a dbpoweramp rip that can to display / extract these common fields.
    But that is probably thinking too idealistically.
    It seems almost that you need to have indepth knowledge of exactly how the players will work before you rip..and then rip in a form the player is expecting maybe.
    or keep buying apps till you fluke one that does integrate with the metadata from your rip like I have been doing..
    So my sons advice to me...why bother going to all this trouble..just do Deezer or Spotify or Tidal or whatever and let someone else worry about it.
    But I will play with the files again it and follow your instructions... and then if its all to difficult... guess its back to the backup copy.
    Thanks again and I have appreciated the advice and help even though I have been unable to make progress so far.
    Pls take my comments as constructive criticism.
    Last edited by shcbris.; 02-18-2018 at 03:14 PM.

  2. #47
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,588

    Re: Composer tags - semi colon separator vs forward slash

    Quote Originally Posted by shcbris. View Post
    Lets look at this from the consumer perspective.
    I bought this program years ago and have paid for several updates over the years,
    It states that you get perfect rips and that you get metadata from several sources. And indeed it does.
    And I ripped basically the same way using a default naming scheme found on this site.
    What is annoying is from my point of view is that, as you pointed out, all player apps seem to go there own way with respect to how they handle some of this metadata.
    Yes, I can see you are annoyed, but it is hardly the fault of the dBpoweramp software.

    The problem you have is simply that the HiFi Cast app you use, only supports multi-value tags via UPnP/DLNA and does not parse multi-value tags correctly, when read directly from the file.

    Quote Originally Posted by shcbris. View Post
    It even appears that mp3tag has a slightly different take on how all this works. Not real sure if anyone has it standardized.
    Not true at all. The codec developers provide the standards which ripping/tagging and server/player softwares use. MP3Tag (and dBpoweramp) supports multi-value tags perfectly and does not have a slightly different take on how all this works, as the principles are the same.

    Never, have different software applications performed identically. If I choose to use different software from different developers, which perform similar tasks, I have to learn how the individual software works, not assume that all the software works in exactly the same way.

    Quote Originally Posted by shcbris. View Post
    Its almost like going back to propriety solutions situation instead of a universal solution.
    Most people want to be able to just get an accurate rip..be able to play it on a player and basically have a display of things like artist, album, track name, track number, duration, composer, album cover art . Maybe genre and a few other things are nice but essentially the main ones are of interest.
    Maybe publish what player apps work with a dbpoweramp rip that can to display / extract these common fields.
    But that is probably thinking too idealistically.
    It seems almost that you need to have indepth knowledge of exactly how the players will work before you rip..and then rip in a form the player is expecting maybe.
    or keep buying apps till you fluke one that does integrate with the metadata from your rip like I have been doing..
    As with anything, some products are good and some are not so good. I am also a consumer and before I decide to buy, I have to do a little homework to help me decide what to buy. This is something I did when deciding on the ripping/tagging software and server/player software I was going to use. To expect Illustrate to somehow keep up-to-date with hundreds of different 3rd party server/player softwares, is IMO, ridiculous.

    It is not a question of apps working with dBpoweramp. dBpoweramp writes tags to different file formats according to the codec specifications. Server/player apps need to make sure that they adhere to these specifications or they are not going to work properly. Again, just because the HiFi Cast app does not work properly, it is not the fault or responsibility of dBpoweramp, so IMO, your criticisms here are misplaced and need directing to the appropriate place e.g. to the HiFi Cast app developers.

    Some things are difficult and this is not a perfect tagging world, so I really appreciate the efforts that Illustrate (and MP3Tag) have gone to with their tools, to help make my life much easier when ripping and tagging.
    Last edited by mville; 02-18-2018 at 04:29 PM.

  3. #48
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,147

    Re: Composer tags - semi colon separator vs forward slash

    Quote Originally Posted by shcbris. View Post
    It seems almost that you need to have indepth knowledge of exactly how the players will work before you rip..and then rip in a form the player is expecting maybe.
    Sorry, but you did not understand the problem and the solution still.

    Quote Originally Posted by shcbris. View Post
    Pls take my comments as constructive criticism.
    How can this criticism be constructive, if the analysis of error is faulty?


    Dat Ei

  4. #49

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    35

    Re: Composer tags - semi colon separator vs forward slash

    Talk about sensitive...Dat E your two cents worth is absolutely worthless unnecessary criticism of myself. I know exactly what the problem is..just now wanted to know how to properly fix the tags after the run in with mp3tag so that it is back to how it was originally and garym and mville has thankfully tried to help me with this.
    I stated that the issues are most likely with the player apps / writers and maybe the lack of adherence to standards..not dbP itself ..maybe except when there are code mistakes...which are only found out as you go..ie the R16.2 to R16.4 issue that I had the other day. Not really expecting perfection and realize that most bugs are engineered in the field these days by users..
    Like I said I started off just trying to work out why the composer info does not display properly. Didn't want to get into a slanging match.
    No criticism of dbP all along ... except for now I am getting shit put on me for not being an expert..I thought part of the deal of purchase was the support.
    That said support is good although as a user I do not know who is responding is an employee of dbP organization .. or just another online person like me.
    By the way I used the mp3tag Action method exactly as written / suggested.... did not work as suggested... it divided up the composers and artists into separate first and surnames..
    ie
    composer Robert
    composer Plant
    composer Jimmy
    composer Page

    So its back to the original backup for me.
    and a warning to others...maybe its best to make sure you are an expert in the field of the question(s) you ask before asking..but then I would not have to of asked in the first place if I already was across it.

    Spoon... was I asking too much or out of line?...appreciate the forum and most responses but jeeze when it gets down to it you should expect that there are people who buy your products that are not "experts" and will need more help / patience and pointing in the right direction than others. I do appreciate that the guys were very helpful except for some ill informed observations of my ability.
    I cannot believe I am the first one to have issues with this sort of thing.
    I also didn't really expect any personal criticism when I have been cordial all along.
    Disappointing finish to this.
    Last edited by shcbris.; 02-18-2018 at 07:32 PM.

  5. #50
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,588

    Re: Composer tags - semi colon separator vs forward slash

    Quote Originally Posted by shcbris. View Post
    By the way I used the mp3tag Action method exactly as written / suggested.... did not work as suggested... it divided up the composers and artists into separate first and surnames..
    ie
    composer Robert
    composer Plant
    composer Jimmy
    composer Page

    So its back to the original backup for me.
    I can only go on what you have described in this thread. So, assuming a composer tag is in the form of composer 1 / composer 2 e.g.:
    Robert Plant / Jimmy Page

    then I can assure you (and I have tested this myself), that the instructions in post no. 44 are correct and:
    Robert Plant / Jimmy Page
    will become:
    Robert Plant\\Jimmy Page

    OR, as viewed in the extended tag window:
    COMPOSER Robert Plant
    COMPOSER Jimmy Page

    If you are getting Robert\\Plant\\Jimmy\\Page, then you are clearly not following the instructions, as you are replacing single spaces in your actions, i.e. the space between Robert and Plant plus Jimmy and Page, which is not part of those instructions.

    Finally, I would also add, just in case other users are reading this thread, that users do not need to be experts, in order to use dBpoweramp (or MP3Tag).
    Last edited by mville; 02-18-2018 at 08:28 PM.

  6. #51

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    35

    Re: Composer tags - semi colon separator vs forward slash

    Thanks. Just to add your were right with your process...it was my misreading a character from my phone, so my apologies there.
    That process does work and appreciate your efforts. Old eyes you know.Now using a PC screen..
    Please disregard my comments re support..that was a heat of the moment remark..I should know better and settle down before posting.
    Last edited by shcbris.; 02-18-2018 at 08:42 PM.

  7. #52
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,588

    Re: Composer tags - semi colon separator vs forward slash

    Quote Originally Posted by shcbris. View Post
    Talk about sensitive...Dat E your two cents worth is absolutely worthless unnecessary criticism of myself.
    Where and in what way, is Dat Ei criticizing you?

    As for his two cents worth, I find Dat Ei's thoughts very helpful and useful, on these forums. For example, try re-reading this thread, especially his posts as they are not only helpful, but accurate.
    Last edited by mville; 02-19-2018 at 10:09 AM.

  8. #53

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    35

    Re: Composer tags - semi colon separator vs forward slash

    I'm a bit over this...I thought this was put to bed...you or your moderator could of removed it.
    I sent you a private message yesterday, after leaving it past the 60mins to edit and not being able to change it myself, apologizing for any comments made in the heat of the moment and told you you could remove any comments that were put in in the heat of the moment as well as posted a retraction ...but for whatever reason you want to come back with this?
    Maybe from this the warning about not running foul of the support should still stand.
    Its up to others to make up their minds.
    I guess ...Dats All Folks
    Last edited by shcbris.; 02-19-2018 at 02:34 PM.

  9. #54
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,588

    Re: Composer tags - semi colon separator vs forward slash

    Quote Originally Posted by shcbris. View Post
    I'm a bit over this...I thought this was put to bed...you or your moderator could of removed it.
    I sent you a private message yesterday, after leaving it past the 60mins to edit and not being able to change it myself, apologizing for any comments made in the heat of the moment and told you you could remove any comments that were put in in the heat of the moment as well as posted a retraction ...but for whatever reason you want to come back with this?
    Maybe from this the warning about not running foul of the support should still stand.
    Its up to others to make up their minds.
    Yes and I replied stating that I am an end user, so I am unable to moderate this forum.

    That still does not help me understand why you feel criticized by Dat Ei's comments, when all that has gone on here, is users have tried to advise/help you and not criticize you.

    Anyway, from these latest comments, you still appear to have some issue here, which I can't fathom, so I too am putting this one to bed.
    Last edited by mville; 02-19-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •