title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Madonna (General)

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Madonna (General)

Hi folk,

I am ripping my Madonna CD collection and so I have some comments/questions, if I may.

Firstly, if ALL Madonna CDs are going to have:

GENRE = Popular

then which type of STYLE would you use, please? I mean, would you change the STYLE album-to-album (if necessary)? Arguably, could you use, for all her STYLE tags:

Dance Pop(?)

I am currently ripping 'Like A Virgin':

Many thanks in advance,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 01-25-2018 at 11:15 AM. Reason: LINK

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Madonna (General)

Oldies

dBpoweramp Guru

why would you start an entire new thread on this. Seems like this would have fit well in your "tags, tags, and more tags" thread.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    why would you start an entire new thread on this. Seems like this would have fit well in your "tags, tags, and more tags" thread.
    I am ripping my Madonna CD collection and so I have some comments/questions, if I may.
    Plus, I have called it 'General'.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Thg6276 View Post
    Oldies
    That does not really categorise the music in any way. Plus, Madonna is still releasing material!
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 01-25-2018 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Plus, I have called it 'General'.
    It's not my forum and certainly Spoon can moderate it any way he chooses. But, for example, I have over 13,000 unique artists in my music collection. If I start a thread on EACH artist regarding tagging, it will really clog up this forum and make it practically unusable.

dBpoweramp Guru

It's not my forum and certainly Spoon can moderate it any way he chooses. But, for example, I have over 13,000 unique artists in my music collection. If I start a thread on EACH artist regarding tagging, it will really clog up this forum and make it practically unusable.
    Feel free to request a Moderator to move the question to an appropriate, or pre-existing, thread within the forum if you so wish.

The thread is to be one exclusively for Madonna and I did not place the question in 'Tags, Tags, & More Tags' because other questions in the pipeline are very likely to be interrelated to previous discussions on her. And also, I wanted to avoid posting links to another thread(s). Hence I decided to keep it all under one roof. In any event, I do not see anything wrong with discussing any topic within this 'General' section of the forum (whether it be Artist, Producers, Composers) as long as it has something to do with music. It just so happened that the topic kicked off with a STYLE question.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 01-25-2018 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Final sentance.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Feel free to request a Moderator to move the question to an appropriate, or pre-existing, thread within the forum if you so wish.

The thread is to be one exclusively for Madonna and I did not place the question in 'Tags, Tags, & More Tags' because other questions in the pipeline are very likely to be interrelated to previous discussions on her. And also, I wanted to avoid posting links to another thread(s). Hence I decided to keep it all under one roof. In any event, I do not see anything wrong with discussing any topic within this 'General' section of the forum (whether it be Artist, Producers, Composers) as long as it has something to do with music. It just so happened that the topic kicked off with a STYLE question.
    Like I said, it's not my forum.

dBpoweramp Guru

I'm totally with Gary. In my opinion this forum is about the software, the use of the software, the problems and the errors, but not about the content and music itself. If we start to discuss every CD and tag of every user we will mess things up and lose the focus.

I don't want to offend you Paul, especially cause you are always friendly and polite, but now that you know how the things work it's time you have to learn to fly all by yourself. There are some helping and helpful hands in this forum, like Gary, mville, Oggy, Schmiddi etc. pp. but don't push it too hard.

There is no absolute right or wrong in tagging - it's your CD collection, your library and you are the librarian.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Paul, I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I applaud your enthusiasm for your music. My points are only about trying to make sure the forum doesn't get too messy. Over many years I've seen once useful forums become simply unusable because of disorganized posting, etc. This forum is effectively unmoderated as far as I can tell. Spoon has a light touch. We users tend to try to moderate ourselves, and in doing so keep this a useful, informative place. Anyhow, just my 2 cents.

dBpoweramp Guru

Paul, I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I applaud your enthusiasm for your music. My points are only about trying to make sure the forum doesn't get too messy. Over many years I've seen once useful forums become simply unusable because of disorganized posting, etc. This forum is effectively unmoderated as far as I can tell. Spoon has a light touch. We users tend to try to moderate ourselves, and in doing so keep this a useful, informative place. Anyhow, just my 2 cents.
    Gary, It's OK. No offence taken. I will reply in full tomorrow. Cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    I'm totally with Gary. In my opinion this forum is about the software, the use of the software, the problems and the errors, but not about the content and music itself. If we start to discuss every CD and tag of every user we will mess things up and lose the focus.
    I have to agree. IMO, this forum is a discussion on the use of Illustrate software and related problems which arise when using the software, not a discussion on how users prefer to tag their CDs.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I have to agree. IMO, this forum is a discussion on the use of Illustrate software and related problems which arise when using the software, not a discussion on how users prefer to tag their CDs.
    As I mentioned above, it was my intention that this thread pan out to other (general) topics relating to Madonna (eg. production, re-releases, re-mixes, etc). It was by pure coincidence that the opening question was relating to tagging.

I have browsed through other topics in this forum, over the past months, and came across subjects that were absolutely not related to: "the use of Illustrate software and related problems which arise when using the software" in any way whatsoever. For example, whether or not the UK should conform to Brexit, and ones opinion towards the preference of using CD cases against wallets.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 01-26-2018 at 01:11 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    I don't want to offend you Paul, especially cause you are always friendly and polite, but now that you know how the things work it's time you have to learn to fly all by yourself. There are some helping and helpful hands in this forum, like Gary, mville, Oggy, Schmiddi etc. pp. but don't push it too hard.
    If I knew the answers to the questions then I would not be asking them. There may be the occasion when, inadvertently, a question gets asked twice. I am not the only person guilty of this because I have seen this happen with other members who are similarly ripping their collection for the for the first time.

but don't push it too hard
    You imply that I have either done so already, or that I am bordering on abusing other members hospitality.

dBpoweramp Guru

I was not aware of how this forum is run. To be honest, I never really gave it any thought (nor is it something that particularly interested me). I mean, I joined here and then just started asking questions - without any real consideration towards what might go on behind the scenes.

In the event that I have posted a question that may be placed in the wrong thread, then I am 99% sure I have always added a footnote encouraging Moderators to relocate the posting to more appropriate section.