title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Is "Secure" really necessary? What am I missing?

Is "Secure" really necessary? What am I missing?

Hi,

I have recently purchased dBpoweramp and ripped 6 CDs to FLAC.
    Only 2 of them made it through secure ripping without errors. I switched to "Burst Mode" and the remaining 4 CDs went through OK.

On 3 of the 4 CDs some of the tracks appeared in red saying "Inaccurate". The Rest said "Accurate". The score after each track ranged from 117 to 200.

However, all the tracks on all the ripped CDs played perfectly and sounded great. I could detect no defects in the music.
    So, is Secure Ripping essential?

db secure y-n.jpg

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Is "Secure" really necessary? What am I missing?

No, it's not. But then again, you could be using any other (free) ripping program which doesn't care about data integrity.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Is "Secure" really necessary? What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by walespete View Post
    I have recently purchased dBpoweramp and ripped 6 CDs to FLAC.
    Only 2 of them made it through secure ripping without errors. I switched to "Burst Mode" and the remaining 4 CDs went through OK.

On 3 of the 4 CDs some of the tracks appeared in red saying "Inaccurate". The Rest said "Accurate". The score after each track ranged from 117 to 200.

However, all the tracks on all the ripped CDs played perfectly and sounded great. I could detect no defects in the music.
    So, is Secure Ripping essential?
    Not all errors are audible, as you have described, but this is not always the case.

If you want bit perfect copies (or less errors) of your CDs, then use secure mode. If you aren't bothered, then I suppose you could use burst mode.