title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Unable to Rip

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ryan Parle
    • Jan 2018

Unable to Rip

Hi all, I've been a long time user of Db Poweramp and have never run in to any issues until today when I tried to re rip some CD's after a disk failure resulting in loss of some of my library. Since the last time i used Db Poweramp I have upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10. I tried to rip on the R14 version of Db Poweramp but the software just crashed when I started ripping, I then paid for the latest version hoping that an upgrade was needed for windows 10, now when I start ripping the drive spins up & timer starts counting up, then after a few seconds the drive spins down and the activity light goes out, the rip status does not change from 0%

Anyone have any ideas on what could be going on here?
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Unable to Rip

Let's check the optical drive is configured ok in windows 10.

Check the status of the optical drive in windows device manager.

Can you play the CDs in Windows 10, using the same drive?
    Last edited by mville; 01-23-2018, 12:10 PM. Reason: added another check

Comment

• Ryan Parle
      • Jan 2018

Ok So music plays fine with Power DVD but if i play it with VLC Player it plays for a few seconds then stops, after this i get a short (0.1 s ish) burst of sound every 10-15 seconds.this will continue indefinitely once i close VLC and even after i have removed the cd from the drive, it carries on until i force close the VLC process.

I knew at one point windows 10 would prove how awkward it can be, I use this PC for all kinds of things including running a CNC machine, Automating an astronomical obsevatory, all of which use legacy hardware with no problem, i just didnt expect it to cause problems on something so "standard" as ripping a music cd!

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

What about Device Manager >> DVD/CD-ROM drives >> Your optical drive >> Properties >> General tab
        What does it say in the Device status box?

What is your optical drive model?

Comment

• Ryan Parle
          • Jan 2018

Device manager status says the device is working properly.
          The drive is an LG BN16NS40 (listed in Device manager as : HL-DT-ST BD-RE BN16NS40) it came pre loaded with v1.03 firmware which is the latest version on the LG Site.

I actually have another 4 identical drives brand new un-used (after an online retailer accidentally sent me 1 carton of 5 instead of 1 single drive, i contacted them to tell them of the mistake and they said i may as well keep them), I could try one of the spares to see if this one has developed a fault, but my gut feeling is that it is a software problem.

I have no problem with reading / writing data from CD, DVD, Blue Ray and also playing DVD & Blue Ray movies works fine.

I have also tried using windows media player to play CD's and that works fine.
          Last edited by Ryan Parle; 01-23-2018, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• mville
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2008

The drive appears to be ok. The problem you get in CD Ripper is the same for any CD, or just one in particular?

Comment

• Ryan Parle
              • Jan 2018

I did wonder if it was just one CD that wouldn't rip, but last night I tried several and they all do the same.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

It is possible the CD drive is faulty, I would look first at a cheap USB drive to try.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Ryan Parle
                  • Jan 2018

As I mentioned in a previous post I have a few identical spare drives, I will try one of those, I think I also have one of the early sata offerings from liteon which I have successfully ripped with in the past, I only upgraded it to write blue ray.

Comment

• mville
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Ryan Parle
                    As I mentioned in a previous post I have a few identical spare drives, I will try one of those, I think I also have one of the early sata offerings from liteon which I have successfully ripped with in the past, I only upgraded it to write blue ray.
                    I would try the liteon first, on the same sata port.

Comment

• Ryan Parle
                      • Jan 2018

Ok so the liteon sata drive that I thought I had turned out to be a Sony nec ide drive, my PC only has sata interface, so that one is out of the question, I will try one of the LG drives instead. If that doesn't work I may try using my laptop instead.

Are there any diagnostic tools I can use to check my drives?

Comment

• Jailhouse
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Ryan Parle
                        I will try one of the LG drives instead.
                        For what it's worth, my LG drive (HL-DT-ST - DVD-RAM GH22LS30) works quite well.

Comment

• Ryan Parle
                          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Jailhouse
                          For what it's worth, my LG drive (HL-DT-ST - DVD-RAM GH22LS30) works quite well.
                          To be honest this current LG drive has served me very well up until now, I tend to have a binge of music buying once every 6 months or so when i usually splash out on 20 or so albums, I then rip them all to Flac using DBPoweramp. The last time i did this was at the end of April, in July i had a hard disk failure on my "overflow" drive where i lost the last two batches of rips, shortly after this i upgraded to windows 10. Then yesterday i decided to re rip the music so i could load some of it to my phone for a holiday.

i'm now not sure if i will have time to sort the problem and rip the CD's but its not exactly of huge importance.

I've just spent the last hour trying to find the box with the other drives in it, as typical i probably put it somewhere safe (probably the same place i put all of my ski service tools that have also gone missing!!)

Comment

• Ryan Parle
                            • Jan 2018

OK so as far as I am concerned now this is NOT a hardware problem! I swapped out a borrowed liteon drive (dont have details it has gone back to work now), a TSST Corp DVD+-RW TS-H653B and a brand new drive identical to the original drive.

I get the same behaviour with all drives, My existing hardware setup worked FINE 6 months ago, nothing has changed from a hardware point and everything else relating to CD/DVD/BL works as it should.

What next? I want to get this fixed asap.

Comment

• Dat Ei
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Feb 2014

If you rip a CD with dBpa, do you see any media software in the task manager that could interfere? Does any software start automatically if you insert an Audio CD?

Dat Ei

Comment

Working...

]]>