title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Conversion Errors

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Conversion Errors

Originally posted by AR48
    Going back to my original conversion from FLAC to ALAC, the errors don't seem to have stopped the files from being converted - they all seem to be present and correct.
    You stated:
    I've got countless errors stating "error opening 'xxxx' file, check no other program has it open"

and

they all seem to be present and correct.

Are you going to listen to all 100,000+ files to confirm this? The errors reported, suggest something different.

I also have half a dozen or so "Unable to tag file" errors - but they look and play ok in iTunes - what does this error mean?
    dBpoweramp was unable to write all the tags. See Spoon's post no. 15.

Is it possible that the software is reporting errors incorrectly?
    No. But then, who can predict what will happen when the network location is lost during the conversion.

As I say, it has written the files correctly, even the corrupt file is written and plays 2 mins of it's 4 mins.
    How do you know it has written the files correctly? Regarding the corrupt file, this is as expected. The corruption exists after the 2 minute point in the file.

To put this into context - I have 100s or error messages (I think, it doesn't make it easy to count them) and somehow 21 missing files.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed in this software. I would expect it to clearly state which files it's converted and which it hasn't. If it's experienced an error which it's subsequently corrected, it should show that also.
    Hmm, you have issues with your network drive, the ethernet cable is removed during the conversion and you are questioning the performance of the software?

You have the option to report the error and warning logs. As far as I am aware, the files in error are reported. If there are no errors, then all output files will be written successfully.

You have serious errors during ALAC Conversion and Test Conversion. These errors need resolving before proceeding. Have you tried the checks specified in Spoon's post no. 13?
    Last edited by mville; 01-24-2018, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• AR48
      • Dec 2017

Error opening file '/Volumes/music/Archive of Lossless Rips/Bob Marley & The Wailers/Legend; The Best Of Bob Marley & The Wailers/03 - Could You Be Loved.flac' check no other program has it open. [Open]"

This error is a reading error from the source file, take a look at the flac file, can anything play it?
      But the conversion has been done and the ALAC as well as the FLAC files are perfectly playable. So what gives?

The 'Unable to write tags', this would give files which are the correct length and will play, after the encoding, dBpoweramp re-opens the file (and retries for about 1 second, 50 times) to add ID tags to the file. If another program jumps in and takes over the file (or moves it somewhere else, such as if converting direct to the iTunes Automatically add folder) then the file cannot be tagged.
      Having looked at a couple of these files, they look perfectly tagged. Or am I misunderstanding here - what is an ID Tag, I assumed it was the file name etc.

The third type of error is a real corruption of the FLAC files which would be reported as such.
      No question on this one, I only had 2 of these and they are corrupt files.

So it's the first 2 I don't get - errors are reported but I can't see what's wrong with the converted files.

Many thanks.

Comment

• AR48
        • Dec 2017

Sorry, to answer previous posts;
        Thanks Spoon, my laptop has solid state storage, my network drive regularly checks itself and reports back and shows no errors.

Hmm, you have issues with your network drive, the ethernet cable is removed during the conversion and you are questioning the performance of the software?
        I'm not aware of any issues with the network drive. Dba is reporting errors opening files but it is then successfully opening them and converting them. The errors reported are from the conversion process after the cable had been plugged back in (damn Apple and their ridiculous Thunderbolt adapters) and the conversion re-started. What annoys me is that it seems to me these errors were overcome but they are still shown which now means I can't establish which errors relate to my missing files i.e. the ones which weren't converted. You do see my point surely?

Anyway, I'm disappointed with the software I must admit. I also admit that when you bring consumer grade network drives into the equation, unfortunately, it does add another vulnerability into the process. I think I might try to convert from the FLAC files on the network drive to an external USB drive, that might also be quicker as it's reading from one and writing to another drive.

Comment

Working...

]]>