title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

ALBUMSORT tag in FLAC ignored?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seb666
    • Jan 2018

ALBUMSORT tag in FLAC ignored?

Hi,

I'm running Asset on my QNAP NAS since a few weeks.
    I noticed that, at least for FLAC files, the ALBUMSORT tag seems to be ignored by Asset.
    For example, I have an album called "$O$" which appears at the top of the album list due to the special characters.
    I explicitely added an ALBUMSORT tag with "SOS" as value, hoping that would have the album show up under "[S]" - but it still shows up at the top.
    The same goes for album names starting with "..." for example.

I have several MP3 albums with similar names, but with those albums the sort order tags are respected by Asset.

Sebastian
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: ALBUMSORT tag in FLAC ignored?

You need 'album sort' and to do a full rescan of the library.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• seb666
      • Jan 2018

That's what I did - unsuccessfully.
      Here's a screenshot from MusicBrainz Picard:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 11.11.55.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	293836

With MP3 albums, this works as expected.
      For the FLAC albums, these tags are recognized by Audirvana+ (which reads the filesystem directly), so they should be set up correctly.

Sebastian
      Last edited by seb666; 01-22-2018, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

The album sort tag may be named something different for mp3 and flac, when using your tag editing software e.g. album sort OR albumsort.

Comment

• seb666
          • Jan 2018

When using MusicBrainz Picard, I can only add a tag named "albumsort" which translates to the "Album Sort Order" tag shown in the screenshot.
          This seems to be the same for FLAC and MP3, but I'm not sure if this is just an abstraction layer which translates to the correct filetype-specific tag in the background.

I downloaded the PerfectTunes trial version but didn't see a way to even display the album sort tag.

If you have any suggestions for a tagging software that writes album sort tags for FLAC files so that they are recognized by Asset, I'd gladly try it out.

Sebastian
          Last edited by seb666; 01-22-2018, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• mville
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by seb666
            When using MusicBrainz Picard, I can only add a tag named "albumsort" which translates to the "Album Sort Order" tag shown in the screenshot.
            This seems to be the same for FLAC and MP3, but I'm not sure if this is just an abstraction layer which translates to the correct filetype-specific tag in the background.

I downloaded the PerfectTunes trial version but didn't see a way to even display the album sort tag.

If you have any suggestions for a tagging software that writes album sort tags for FLAC files so that they are recognized by Asset, I'd gladly try it out.
            Sadly, there is no tagging naming standard across different softwares.

I use MP3Tag, in which I map the vorbis comment (flac tag format) Album Sort tag to to AlbumSort, so I see AlbumSort in the app for both flac and mp3 files, but it writes Album Sort to flac files, which is used by asset.

See here: Picard Tag Mappings

It looks like MusicBrainz Picard is writing AlbumSort to your flac files and not Album Sort, as used in Asset. You don't need new software, just setup your preferred mappings, for vorbis comments, in the MusicBrainz Picard app.

Comment

• seb666
              • Jan 2018

Thanks! I assumed that the set of tags and their names were standardized across the file formats.
              After browsing through Picards preferences menu, it doesn't seem to be possible to change the tag mapping.
              Apparently one can specify free text tags, so I tried to add "Album Sort" to one album and "ALBUM SORT" to another.
              After a full rescan in Asset, both albums show up as "(Unknown album)" - now that went well

I think I'll give MP3tag a shot...

Sebastian

Comment

• seb666
                • Jan 2018

Ok, I finally got it using MP3Tag.
                For some reason I needed to remove all "non-essential" tags from each of the affected files or Asset would only display them as "(unknown album)", even if I removed the album sort tags I added before.
                I must have broken something during the process. Very weird.

Anyway after rewriting all tags with Picard and adding "album sort" with MP3Tag, my albums finally show up at the right place

Thanks!

Sebastian

Comment

Working...

]]>