title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Breaking The Order

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monsterjazzlick
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jul 2017

RE: Breaking The Order

Hi folks,

Does anyone ever rearrange the order of tracks on a CD they are ripping, please?

I ripped a Wayne Shorter CD ('Night Dreamer') which contains an ALT. TAKE of the song: 'Virgo'. The CD version I have places these two tracks adjacent (ie. they are placed as track-3 and track-4); though Wiki displays the bonus-track as being track-9 (ie. at the end of the CD, where you would normally expect it to be!):

I was thinking of swapping my track-4 to track-9 (so that the bonus-track is at the end, same as Wiki). It seems strange that the release I have places them together? Would anyone want to listen to the same song again (albeit slightly slower/faster, longer/shorter)?!

Many thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 01-21-2018, 06:14 PM. Reason: LINK
  • Dat Ei
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2014

Re: Breaking The Order

Hey Paul,

why did you start the title of the thread with "RE:"? That is very unusual, not common and irritating.

I keep the order of the songs always as is. My philosophy is that the ripped data is a copy of the CD. Very simple!

Dat Ei

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Dat Ei
      Hey Paul,

why did you start the title of the thread with "RE:"? That is very unusual, not common and irritating.

I keep the order of the songs always as is. My philosophy is that the ripped data is a copy of the CD. Very simple!
      Dat Ei,

I just typed it without thinking really; more habit! It was not my intention to cause you irritation.

And so, if a CD had two ALT. TAKES (plus the original-take), then would you still leave all three in place?!

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

• Dat Ei
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Feb 2014

I just keep all tracks in place. I guess that you will have problems with PerfectTunes in the post processing, if you change the order of the tracks.

Dat Ei

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Dat Ei
          I guess that you will have problems with PerfectTunes in the post processing, if you change the order of the tracks.
          Oh dear!; really?

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

When I have CDs that are in an order I don't like, I create my own playlists for these CDs and then can play whatever I like in my own order. For example, I have a large Buddy Holly Box Set. Lots of alternative takes, etc. I rip it in the original order by disk (it is multi disk). But later on I create my own playlists that recreate his Original Albums in correct track order.

edit: and playlists aren't created in dbpa. They are typically created in your player or music server. For example, you can create playlists in foobar2000 and then export them to use in other players/libraries that can use playlists.
            Last edited by garym; 01-21-2018, 07:29 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
              When I have CDs that are in an order I don't like, I create my own playlists for these CDs and then can play whatever I like in my own order. For example, I have a large Buddy Holly Box Set. Lots of alternative takes, etc. I rip it in the original order by disk (it is multi disk). But later on I create my own playlists that recreate his Original Albums in correct track order.

edit: and playlists aren't created in dbpa. They are typically created in your player or music server. For example, you can create playlists in foobar2000 and then export them to use in other players/libraries that can use playlists.
              Cheers Gary,

I have never used playlists. It may be something I do in the future though. I always thought of them as being a means for fishing out the tracks (on a CD album) which you don't like; so that you get to hear only the ones you DO like!

So you, also, prefer the keep the ORIGINAL track order intact during ripping.

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
                Cheers Gary,

I have never used playlists. It may be something I do in the future though. I always thought of them as being a means for fishing out the tracks (on a CD album) which you don't like; so that you get to hear only the ones you DO like!

So you, also, prefer the keep the ORIGINAL track order intact during ripping.
                yes, I keep the ORIGINAL track order intact when ripping. I want my ripped CD tracks to be exactly like the CD.

yes, playlists can be used to exclude tracks you don't want to hear, to combine tracks from multiple albums, to re-order the tracks, etc. Lots of uses for playlists.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
                  yes, I keep the ORIGINAL track order intact when ripping. I want my ripped CD tracks to be exactly like the CD.

yes, playlists can be used to exclude tracks you don't want to hear, to combine tracks from multiple albums, to re-order the tracks, etc. Lots of uses for playlists.
                  OK, cheers.

Comment

• Oggy
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2015

Hi folks,

Does anyone ever rearrange the order of tracks on a CD they are ripping, please?

I ripped a Wayne Shorter CD ('Night Dreamer') which contains an ALT. TAKE of the song: 'Virgo'. The CD version I have places these two tracks adjacent (ie. they are placed as track-3 and track-4); though Wiki displays the bonus-track as being track-9 (ie. at the end of the CD, where you would normally expect it to be!):

I was thinking of swapping my track-4 to track-9 (so that the bonus-track is at the end, same as Wiki). It seems strange that the release I have places them together? Would anyone want to listen to the same song again (albeit slightly slower/faster, longer/shorter)?!

Many thanks,

Paul
                    Hi Paul,

I've re-arranged several CDs. All "twofers", I've put back into the two single albums, re-arranged the running order of the American pressing of the Sex Pistols debut to replicate the UK order I listened to when I first heard it. The Fourth Seasons, Who Loves You, I put the re-mixed bonus tracks to the end so the running order replicates the LP. A Steeleye Span box set had five albums split over three CDs, these were re-arranged into the five albums. Two symphonies on a CD, into two symphonies.

All tracks achieved an AccurateRip, so rightly or wrongly, I didn't worry about what PerfectTUNES would make of these. Yes, I could achieve this with playlists, but I find it easier to to re-arrange at the time of ripping, press play and enjoy the album in the order I'm familiar with. I usually play albums complete.

I guess I simply replicate my vinyl playing days, but without the need to lift the stylus from the run-out groove and flip the LP.

My library and I'm the librarian!!

Edit: I haven't regretted these decisions - yet!
                    Last edited by Oggy; 01-21-2018, 09:04 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy
                      All tracks achieved an AccurateRip, so rightly or wrongly, I didn't worry about what PerfectTUNES would make of these. Yes, I could achieve this with playlists, but I find it easier to to re-arrange at the time of ripping, press play and enjoy the album in the order I'm familiar with. I usually play albums complete.

I guess I simply replicate my vinyl playing days, but without the need to lift the stylus from the run-out groove and flip the LP.

Edit: I haven't regretted these decisions - yet!
                      Thanks Oggy,

I decided to switch the order (rather than use the 'playlist' option). I think I am like yourself in that I prefer the original album format, with any additions positioned at the end.

And PerfectTunes listed the album as having 'errors':

'Playlists' is something I may use in the future, but for a different reason than bonus-track ordering.

Paul
                      Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 01-21-2018, 11:41 PM. Reason: LINK

Comment

• Oggy
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2015

Thanks Oggy,

I decided to switch the order (rather than use the 'playlist' option). I think I am like yourself in that I prefer the original album format, with any additions positioned at the end.

And PerfectTunes listed the album as having 'errors':

'Playlists' is something I may use in the future, but for a different reason than bonus-track ordering.

Paul
                        Paul,

I recently bought a CD of an album I've not heard for over 40 years, but I still could remember which track followed on from another.

I fully understand why some would not want to change the order, but the Steeleye Span five albums squeezed into three CDs would take a lot of programming, and the cover art would be wrong.

As for PerfectTUNES reporting errors, you know exactly why it has; it has done the job properly, and you still know that there were no ripping errors. If the original running order wasn't so ingrained in my brain, then I probably wouldn't "break the order".

Some CD releases with bonus tracks have been sequenced very well, with non-album singles A and B sides, added at the end in chronological order.
                        Last edited by Oggy; 01-22-2018, 12:44 AM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Jul 2017

Thanks Oggy,

This was actually the first Jazz CD I had come across where the original LP order of tracks had been disturbed. Twenty years ago I would have preferred the same title on adjacent tracks so that I could A/B-compare them.

There is a CD release of 'Kind Of Blue' which has 'Flamenco Sketches' ALT. TAKE plonked somewhere in the middle; but luckily I don't own that version!

Paul
                          Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 01-22-2018, 12:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Jailhouse
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Sep 2016

I have never used playlists. It may be something I do in the future though.
                            How do you use foobar2000 without using playlists? When I first installed fb2k, I couldn't play anything because I was trying to do so via the Album List, a la Zune. It wasn't until I realized I needed to make and use at least one playlist that I was able to get playback going.

Comment

• garym
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Jailhouse
                              How do you use foobar2000 without using playlists? When I first installed fb2k, I couldn't play anything because I was trying to do so via the Album List, a la Zune. It wasn't until I realized I needed to make and use at least one playlist that I was able to get playback going.
                              I think he uses FACETS component, as do I. I can select ARTIST, then ALBUM and click play.....

Comment

Working...

]]>