title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: dbPowerAmp doesn't recognize 6 channels in DTS Wav file

dbPowerAmp doesn't recognize 6 channels in DTS Wav file

When I hover over a DTS file with a .wav extension, it displays as stereo. Mediainfo shows 6 channels and I get six channels when I import the file in Audacity. When I try to convert to flac with dbPowerAmp - It converts to stereo only.

Is this a known bug?

Administrator

Re: dbPowerAmp doesn't recognize 6 channels in DTS Wav file

Not a bug, a program would have to be able to decode the DTS part of the wave file, internally it is stored as 2 channel and if you played it in a non-dts aware program you would get white noise.

dBpoweramp does not decode DTS.

Mediainfo is an open source project. Maybe the code can be incorporated into dbPowerAmp to at least display the correct info on hover.

Thanks for the response Spoon. I set about using Foobar2000 to to the conversions and it works well. On a side note for anyone else attempting the same conversion - DTS is Lossy, FLAC is not. The FLAC files will be bigger than the DTS .wav or .dts files.
    I also use a program called AudioMuxer that has tools for extracting audio from Bluray and DVD. Foobar2000 is still the best for exctracting from SACD .iso files and dbPowerAmp to keep all the tags correct.

I also had this problem and I searched dozens of forums and they all required too much effort and software. So here is the easiest way I found to get the file to read the 5.1 channels:

First off you need too have VLC Media Player, next go to the left hand corner, click the "Media" tab, and press "Convert / Save...".

Next under the "File" tab click the "+Add" button and simply add your ".dts.wav" file.

Now click "Convert / Save" and you'll enter the convert stage with other options.

From here go too the the "profile" dropdown menu and click "Audio - CD" then click the wrench icon, under the "Encapsulation" tab select "RAW", next click the "Audio codec" tab and select the "Keep original audio track" check box, now click the "Save" option at the lower righthand corner.

Finally select your destination folder, and click "Start", after this process is complete open the destination folder and click the file to rename the .raw file extension to .dts , Now the file will work as a .dts file and you can convert it to FLAC and it will read the 5.1 channels properly in Audacity. Cheers, Enjoy!