title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Is "Stereo" (not "Joint Stereo") an option?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Is "Stereo" (not "Joint Stereo") an option?

All my MP3 conversions are coming out as "Joint Stereo." Is there an option for "Stereo"?

I've read a ton of threads here today about the difference between "Stereo" and "Joint Stereo" when converting to MP3 (with LAME encoder), but is converting to "Stereo" even an option in dBpoweramp, or is "Joint Stereo" the unchangeable default with MP3 conversion? I don't see any option to chose "Stereo," or anything else.

No judgement, please. I know Spoon and most folks would say "Joint Stereo" is better and was always the intended default with LAME (that may all very well be true), but my question is simply - is there a choice to convert to "Stereo" and how exactly do I do that? I don't see where that's done (advanced settings somewhere?).

Thanks!

Administrator

Re: Is "Stereo" (not "Joint Stereo") an option?

Click Advanced on lame settings page >> Channels as 'Forced Stereo'

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Click Advanced on lame settings page >> Channels as 'Forced Stereo'
    Thanks, but I don't quite see where that is. :(

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessMission View Post
    Thanks, but I don't quite see where that is. :(
    Just before conversion, in the window entitled dBpoweramp Music Converter, you select mp3 (Lame) from the Encoding drop-down menu. Then, you will see the Advanced button.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Just before conversion, in the window entitled dBpoweramp Music Converter, you select mp3 (Lame) from the Encoding drop-down menu. Then, you will see the Advanced button.
    Sorry to be a bother, man, but I still don't see it. Maybe it's not available on my platform/version.

I'm using. . .

Platform = Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.2
    dBpoweramp version = 16.2, Registered Reference

All I see in the "Music Converter" window is "Encoding", "Target", the bitrate quality slider, "Encoding" (slow, normal, fast), "Output To", and the "DSP Effects" window.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessMission View Post
    Maybe it's not available on my platform/version.

I'm using. . .

Platform = Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.2
    dBpoweramp version = 16.2, Registered Reference

All I see in the "Music Converter" window is "Encoding", "Target", the bitrate quality slider, "Encoding" (slow, normal, fast), "Output To", and the "DSP Effects" window.
    Yes, it's possible the Advanced button is not available in the Apple version. I can't comment as I only use Windows.

New to this forum (but not to dbPoweramp). Not sure if I should begin a new thread or not. I've just tried converting "joint stereo" to "stereo" using the method above. Converted to an empty folder and saw that the files were indeed stereo. However, after moving the album to another (external) drive, the files were shown as joint stereo. I did this with the Forced stereo and also with the normal (auto) stereo options, with the same result. is this possible?

Administrator

The files would not change by copying with Windows File Explorer.

How are you checking they are stereo?